The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Any ideas what could be wrong with my dog

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Dont give up hope we had a similar diagnosis in our Jack Russell earlier this year ...we had a heart scan which was worth every penny ...they can give you the right medication....we cant believe how well Tom is doing on his meds ....I was told short walks but Tom was miserable....so I treat him like normal....
Good luck ...let us know how you get on xxxx

Good advice, I have to accept he has this condition, get the best help I can and just get on with life.
He doesnt have any great problems at the moment and the initial meds are working well.
I let him tell me when hes had enough on his walks,he doesnt want to go too far at the moment, hopefully
his stamina can be improved by meds.
He is eating like a horse and I think he has put a iittle weight back on,the vet gave me a big bag of high
protein meal which he loves.

We too were devastated given a 12 mth lifespan when Tom was 9 ...that was 8 mths ago ...like you say they tell you when they have done too much

We have been taking Tom to an enclosed field once a week as he cant be let offlead he is on a 50 ft extension lead in the woods as his recall is non existent..he absolutely loves it ..hubby worries he will drop dead from running so much but I would rather him have a full life going happy than him not living like a dog should

Monty loves chasing rabbits and squirrels,got a real hound chase instinct,cant do it much at the momemt
but I would never stop him doing it if he wants to,in all the years he has never caught anything and probably
would have no idea what to do if he did.

20221014_164201.jpg
he loves toys

Thoughts with you. Some years ago Blue, our handsome boy, was diagnosed with an enlarged heart. We did exactly what everyone’s saying - indulge him 150%. You’ll know when he wants to go but until then spoil him to the hilt. It’s unfortunate but it goes with the territory and we’ve all gone through it. As said by all - this is a sharing forum.

19D1394A-0A93-4955-AC90-7DE62217D319.jpeg

Todays scan visit was a total disaster, Monty screamed every time the vet tried to touch him,
he really was traumatised by going to the hospital for tests last week.
Reluctantly agreed to sedate him for a return visit on Thursday, hopefully she will be able to scan him then
She suggested I find a behaviourist to try and cure the phobia but at his age and the fear ingrained
in him, I cant see that being possible with the time he has left.
Going to be a really problem if he has to go the vets for regular reviews, i dont want to have to sedate
him every time as it takes a couple of days for him to return to normal

I'm suprised they tried doing it without a sedation .....they wanted to scan Tom every 3 months but we wouldn't agree to that ...he was scanned in march 8 months ago and sees our usual vet every 3 months just to have his heart sounded and a prescription....as for seeing a behaviourist what a lot of dwaddle:p:p
Hope all goes better on Thursday

thanks, I thought the behaviourist idea was bit daft, i dont mind sedating him for a scan when its really needed,
going to have a chat with the local vet who he half trusted before he went to the hospital, see if we can get him
used to having his heart checked again, might mean a lot of trips to the surgery,just to meet and greet the staff,
but having nothing else done, I do have to find a solution

It's all about costs & benefits - will the stressful scans and check-ups be worth it for the extra quality and length of life that could result? Could the vet make a 'best guess' at medication based on symptoms, or would that be dangerous in itself?

When my dog aged he developed rickety joints, dementia symptoms, and the odd lump, but he wouldn't let the vet touch him. We agreed that none of the investigations that could be done would benefit him, as we wouldn't have put him through an op, or even sedation (he reacted badly), so we just medicated on the assumption that he had arthritis and dementia, and medicated accordingly. What is the best option for some dogs may not be the best option for all, even when it's frustrating for the owner and the vet.

I will do anything I can to give Monty quality life for as long as possible,but quality life would not be
endless sedated or stressful trips to the vets , there has to be a better way for him that even though it might
shorten his time,not disrespecting the vets in any way.After the scan on Thursday which I think
he does need ,I have to discuss the way forward with the vets, maybe with me doing what I can at
home checking heart and breathing rate and them adjusting the meds if need be.

I think you are on the right track there.

A lot depends on the results of Thursdays scan,I cant make a plan till then, one big decision is whether
to get another dog before Monty goes, Would have to be exactly the right one,.been meaning get a friend for him for a while, the company could make his days a little brighter but only if hes well enough.possible a calm bitch who wont bounce all over him.

Your decision obviously and you know Monty best, but remember if he is already feeling poorly, the stress of a new dog might make him feel worse. Playing with other dogs and enjoying their company isn't the same as sharing your home with one.

yup I know,he loves it when a couple of doggie friends come to visit and is probably well enough to have a friend
at the moment but things will change.Worse thing I ever did is get Monty as pup when I had an elderly collie,
he was just too much for the old boy and he didnt last much longer, sometimes the best of intentions are not
best decisions.The outlook for Monty from the hospital was pretty grim,3 months max and may die any day before
then, if the visit on Thursday confirms that , I would not get another dog.

Also consider the impact on the new dog. It wouldn't, I assume, be a puppy if you don't want a bouncy dog, and it may be the case that just when she's settled in happily and bonded with Monty, he'll pass on - dogs do grieve, as well as humans.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back