The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Any ideas what could be wrong with my dog

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Suppose there is an element of selfishment in wanting to get another dog,me not wanting to be totally
alone when Monty goes but I know my needs must come last and Montys first along with his new friend if I got one.
There will be plenty of time to get another dog when Montys gone so I probably wont get one before.

He's a very lucky dog to have you :)

Other way round ,lucky to have him, had 5 dogs, loved them all but Monty is really special,one in a miilion,
everyone loves him ( except vets)

Had some really bad news today, took Monty for a scan and he has a large mass in his chest which
is almost certainly cancer.This is pressing against his heart and lungs and making breathing difficult.
He has very little time left and pretty soon will I have to make the horrible decision
to put him to sleep.He is too good to allow him to suffer and he will be put to sleep at home with me
holding him.
Cant believe all this has happened 6 weeks,he was happy and bouncing then, no indication this
horrible thing was growing inside him.
Got him as a pup and we have had 8 wonderful years together,i was hoping for many more but
its not too be

Had some really bad news today, took Monty for a scan and he has a large mass in his chest which
is almost certainly cancer.This is pressing against his heart and lungs and making breathing difficult.
He has very little time left and pretty soon will I have to make the horrible decision
to put him to sleep.He is too good to allow him to suffer and he will be put to sleep at home with me
holding him.
Cant believe all this has happened 6 weeks,he was happy and bouncing then, no indication this
horrible thing was growing inside him.
Got him as a pup and we have had 8 wonderful years together,i was hoping for many more but
its not too be
I’m so sorry for your predicament. Insufficient words, just thinking of you both. You’re making a brave but loving decision for Monty. HE won’t know what’s happening - take courage from that. Thoughts and a fraternal hug.

I'm so sorry, Montysdad - my heart goes out to you.

That's devastating. I know you haven't been here long, but please know we are all here for you.

He has gone downhill a lot in the last few days and has little quality of life now and deserves to go to sleep
at home with me, I have made enquiries about home euthenasia so I am prepared for when the time
comes.Going to rip my heart out but i cant let him suffer.
Been though this a few times with previous dogs and it never get easier but I know the end is peaceful
if it is done properly.
Afraid I am crying as I am posting, just going to miss him so much as he is so special

Hey, you nearly have me crying too - never be ashamed to cry. There's plenty of people here who know just how intensely painful this can be xx

So, so sorry to hear your news. Thinking of you at this difficult time, preparing this final gift for the ones we love so deeply is the hardest and there are no words that can ease that pain... we are all here if you need, sending hugs to you both...

Last edited:
So very sorry. It's really hard, no matter how many times we've been through it. We are all here for you.

So pleased you had the scan so at least you know what is wrong ...sensing you lots of love at this heart wrenching time ...we have all been there and will be here for you ......xxx

I'm so sorry your going through this, its so hard when our babies are poorly and we have to make decisions for them.

For me, Unfortunately, we had a similar situation but the complete opposite back in June. It was the second weekend in June, it was sunny. Perfect weekend. My Partners dog; Clover (12) came to stay at our new house for the weekend (she generally lived with his parents) we went on a few walks with my Labrador - Riley. They were both diving in and out the river, chasing each other and having a great time. Monday morning soon came and my partner took Clover back home on his way to work, dropping her off - his mum soon took Clover and one of his pals (Aussie- Sister in laws dog) for a long Monday walk!

Fast forwarded to the end of the day, 00:40am we received a phone call from my partners parents telling us Clover had collapsed in the garden and had been rushed to the vets. They phoned us because I worked at the vets she was registered to and rushed to. Informing us, they'd keep an eye on her over night - she could be dehydrated from the busy few days. 01:10am we then received the second phone call from my partners parents telling us we needed to get to the vets and that Clover wasn't going to make it. Getting in the car as quick as we could - on arrival we found out she had 3 tumours (Unknown to us) that had ruptured and she was bleeding internally, resulting in there being nothing they could do for her and we had to say goodnight to her. It was the hardest thing to think that we knew nothing, why didn't we know she had the tumours? Why did she show no signs? So many questions went round our heads. 12 hours before she was 'fine'.

What, I'm trying to say to you is dogs are unique animals, our best friends. They rely on us so much. You have done all you can to help Monty and you still are. You as Montys Dad... you will know when it comes to the right time, he will also tell you.

Stay Strong. We are all here for you!

Sorry to hear of your loss, so much worse when you didnt know your furball had any problems,
I had no idea anything was wrong with Monty until he started coughing,was whizzing round on the beach
a few months ago.Think his condition can develop for a long time before any symptoms show up.
Doing my best to make his days happy, its so difficult not knowing when he is suffering too much and the time
has come,he can be really miserable sometimes and then trying to stuff his toys in my ear an hour later.
At least he is eating well and still manages walks at his own pace,his chest is pretty bad though, going
to have a chat with his vet later to review his meds and see if anything else might help him.

Just got back from the vets, seems Monty does not have enlarged heart, looked that way due to a chest mass
pressing against it.Got some extra meds to help open his airways.Done all I can now apart from
as much fuss, walkies and playtimes we can manage.

Think you are posting in the wrong place, please have some sensitivity

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back