The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Any Idea's What's Going On?

AnnSa

The one and Only ....
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just lately I've noticed a change in the way the girl's act

towards each other. Sada is my top dog, but recently K

always seems to be hanging of Sada's neck. She does it

a lot when they are out free running.

At times when we're out K makes such a nuisance of

herself i have to put her back on her lead for a while so

Sada can have a run in peace.

Zana is now starting to join in, so Sada has both of them

pulling on her neck and they don't seem to stop until they

get her down on the floor.

There is a lot of noise when its going on but nobody gets

hurt, its like they are mouthing her, she has a wet neck

though at the end of it.

They are as close as ever in the house and never far away

from each other.

Whats going on, is this a takeover bid, high spirits or

something else........

The more whippets I have added, the noisier and rougher the play has become (w00t)

And, as you know, damage has been done albeit without really vicious intention :(

I'll be interested to hear opinions on this too :thumbsup:

:blink: yes i would be interested too. Molly is our top dog and Dudley is constantly hanging off her ears and Neck. Although come to think of it she does it to him as well.It is more him with her though. Dont they all play so rough though? Even Ben our 14 year old non whippet is in on the action!!!! Im just pleased that they all love eachother. :wub:

Sounds like possible takeover but as neither K or Z could rule on their own it would be quite short lived! I think Ros is our top dog but as I write there is some kind of battle going on with growly barks coming from the next room. When we are out if Ros gets bored he will start to fight Grover in the middle of the street/ park (very embarrassing) and also does a sly sideways body slam! He walks up to Grover so he's parallel and then shoves him really hard sideways with his flanks. However, if Ros is sleeping or if he's on the sofa, Grover will often bark at him as if trying to have a go, and will hang on his ears/ neck. It seems like a 'I could take over if I wanted' thing from Grover, to make himself feel better about not being top dog! Does that make sense?

They do spend a lot of time boxing like hares and then chasing off after each other, as well as vicious sounding fights. They are very evenly matched but I think Ros's calmer personality means he's more sure of himself and his position and Grover's chasing and barking is all bravado.

its funny you saying this ann, for a few months now it has been very noticable to us that star seems to enjoy attacking rubys neck.

i have been teaching ruby how to jump up into my arms (star doesnt like to jump) but when ever ruby does it star trys to distrack her by attacking her neck :blink:

i assumed it was gelousy and that star was gelous ruby was playing with me and not her, or maybe that its im playing with ruby and not her :blink:

ruby is 100% the boss, and she is very gelous if we talk to star and not her, but she just jumps infront of star or pushes her out of the way. i think in stars case she wasnt rubys attention.

so maybe kaya and zana are fighting for her attention????

im going to keep watching this thread cause it be interesting to find out if there is a really explantion :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
this does sound like a bit of a dominance thing, I'd say it possibly has something to dowith their ages too. I think zala is joining in because its a game to her but possibly the older ones do see it as a dominance issue. If she wanted though i think saba could end it all with a quick snap. All you can do is keep an eye on it but this is a common sort of thing between dogs of the same sex, from what i've seen if you have 2 dogs of different sexes there seems to be lesser of an issue, anyway see how it plays out and just watch that it doesn't start getting to rough.

:)

i would say definatley a dominace thing,its all about learning how far you can go and how high in the pecking order you are ;) ,until the top bitch is proven this will continue :- :lol:

none of my boys would dare do the mouthing with the girls cause they are higher than the boys,none do it to kiplin cause hes top dog followed by finley,so the last three,oliver ,noah and jacob constantly do it and hopefully they will have it sorted one day soon :lol:

in answer to your question annie..err....no. ask hely,she is full of knowledge :teehee:

Ben is like this with Sidney with Sid being the top dog.

Ben will go under Sid's neck and bite him.. playfully I think though we have always put it down to Ben trying to get Sid to play or competing for the top dog staus.

I look forward to hearing what other have to say as this will be interesting.

We also have to give Ben time out when walking other wise Sid wont get any peace.

xx

Every three or four days I take my two out for half hour walks on their own so they can get some peace. It takes up a bit more time but they both walk really nicely on the lead if the other one isn't there. When together we do sometimes have to have Ros on a short lead with me while Grover is on the extending lead with OH. They know where they stand with each other really though, and always settle really nicely together when they sleep and don't fight over food - just when playing.

Glad to hear other stories like this. We have always felt that Marlo was top dog but like Ros he is too chilled to really bother, whereas Huey is smaller and more feisty - so he is nearly always the instigator of the scraps and constantly tries to mount Marlo. I took them to the park at the weekend so they could run free (in the fenced off dog area). We were throwing a tennis ball which Marlo would chase but Huey only wanted to chase/ hound/ harass Marlo!

I do think I'm gonna try the separate walks though Esty - ours just vie for who's going to walk in front - except on grass when they'd rather scrap! Still Puppy Training starts this weekend...

We were throwing a tennis ball which Marlo would chase but Huey only wanted to chase/ hound/ harass Marlo!
This sounds very familiar. That's exactly what Muffin is like with Jonah. We put it down to a dominance thing as well. I think Muffin thinks he is top dog, but Jonah isn't giving in lightly! So although Muffin really harasses Jonah for the first 5 minutes that they're off lead or in the garden, he will always relinquish toys/balls to Jonah when Jonah comes barging along. (w00t) I can't fathom them out at all! :unsure:

Think I've mentioned before that when ours are in the dog park and I recall them, Grover immediately starts to come back (he's really eager to please,quite a Mummy's boy ;) )but then waits to see what Ros does before coming any further. The decision only takes a split second because Ros (ruled by his belly) always comes back for treats, but it's long enough that I've cottoned on what they are doing. It's one of the reasons I take them separately, because I want Grover to be able to know his commands properly without always looking to Roscoe for permission to obey! Roscoe knows EXACTLY what I want him to do, but then decides whether or not he's going to do it...

I’ve experienced this grabbing around the neck thing, especially with one of mine who is lower in the pecking order to the one he used to get hold of.

He used to chase him until he pulled up, and then grab him around the neck! (w00t)

Fortunately about the time I was thinking this is going too far and someone is going to get hurt- it solved itself,

He found a tennis ball on a walk and because he didn’t want any of the others to take it away he kept his distance.

If one of the others gets it he will calmly trot around after them until they drop it. :unsure:

Now I never free run without the tennis ball also when none of the others are near he will drop it at my feet and by kicking it about 6 feet he keeps interested.

Thanks to tennis balls I can enjoy safe walks again and continue to take all 6 out together :thumbsup:

Maybe you could try a similar distraction that will keep yours away from the others because they will loose position of the toy etc-hope this helps :luck:

I’ve experienced this grabbing around the neck thing, especially with one of mine who is lower in the pecking order to the one he used to get hold of.
He used to chase him until he pulled up, and then grab him around the neck! (w00t)

Fortunately about the time I was thinking this is going too far and someone is going to get hurt- it solved itself,

He found a tennis ball on a walk and because he didn’t want any of the others to take it away he kept his distance.

If one of the others gets it he will calmly trot around after them until they drop it. :unsure:

Now I never free run without the tennis ball also when none of the others are near he will drop it at my feet and by kicking it about 6 feet he keeps interested.

Thanks to tennis balls I can enjoy safe walks again and continue to take all 6 out together :thumbsup:

Maybe you could try a similar distraction that will keep yours away from the others because they will loose position of the toy etc-hope this helps :luck:
Thank you for your reply Garry, that sounds worth a try :thumbsup:

i would say definatley a dominace thing,its all about learning how far you can go and how high in the pecking order you are ;) ,until the top bitch is proven this will continue :- :lol: none of my boys would dare do the mouthing with the girls cause they are higher than the boys,none do it to kiplin cause hes top dog followed by finley,so the last three,oliver ,noah and jacob constantly do it and hopefully they will have it sorted one day soon :lol:
Sounds like Sada is going to have to sort them out

or step down.......omg can you imagine if my Kaya

was in charge of my little pack :eek:

My lurcher Fly is the dominant one and is always grabbing Maisie, my adult whippet round the neck. She too is much less irritating if she has a ball or a toy to carry - it definitely helps. I also put her on a lead to give Maisie time out from Fly - unfortunately Peggy, my 16wk old whippet puppy has also started to grab Maisie round the neck, so I now have 2 to distract otherwise poor Maisie can hardly move without one or other of them at her neck :(

Our 3 keep doing this in the house - they bite each others necks or muzzles (not hard or agressively) whilst making strange whining/squealing noise with there teeth bared - quite amusing for a while but gets annoying and noisy after a bit (w00t) .

Very similar scenario to deer rutting so have put it down to a dominance thing..

On walks Finlay is always pestering Kiah - knocking into her and generally annoying her - probably dominance again..

:cheers: The tennis ball idea is excellent. Glad im not the only one with whipps that do this. We have to put alternate ones on the lead while we are walking until they get tired. Its a shame as Dudley slams into Molls and she is only tiny and it bowls her over. None of it escalates into nastiness ( we would not let it ) but its noisy and teeth bared!!! :blink:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back