The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Apart From Whippets.... What Else Do You Do In Your Spare Time/hobbies

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
What an interesting topic :thumbsup: I am a dogwalker and apart from my own dogs I also get to walk several times a day in beautiful seaside and country locations- I have very lucky to have some lovely doggy customers :wub:

I also enjoy swimming and snorkelling in the sea and volunteer at the local Surf Lifesaving Club at weekends. We all cycle, and I am currently looking into joining the Newquay gig rowing club with my daughter :D

You see we're all learning something new about everybody :thumbsup:

Good to see ;)

I also enjoy going to watch rock bands/gigs/live music. I also like astronomy and sci-fi stuff.

What else..... Films old and new...especially hammer horror!

Car booting.

Being out and about in the fresh air.

Helping out kids at the thai boxing gym and raising it's profile.

Used to go to church every sunday

Wow this is a good thread!

(And what beautiful fish! and those model boats ... fantastic!).

My interests ... well, apart from my dogs ... I love a wide range of music and go to see as many gigs as possible (and I prefer smaller venues to large arenas any day) - next Month I'm off to see The Airborne Toxic Event and the Manics - both bands which I love; and I listen to music all the time.

I love reading, I do cross-stitch embroidery/samplers for friends/special occasions (new baby, Ruby Wedding, etc etc) ... I am doing a 2nd year of a degree course for my job (I work in school finance/administration) ... and I love catching up with friends whenever we can fit in a meet-up/dog walk. I work full time. but my dogs come first!!! :)) :) ) :))

whippets take up so much of my life ive got 5 soon to be 6 i hope as i hope one of mine is in pup ( 3 weeks) so if im not walking/feeding/racing or rubbing them down im writing about then 4 the whippet news magazine then if im not doing that im running the rising sun handicap if im not doing that i like reailty tv shows and im gutted that big brother is over and i have a bit of a social life left lol

i also like photography and have just bought myself a new cancorder yup so i can tape the racing lol

well anyone who has me on facebook knows i love photography, i'm usually uploading photos on there. i'm also a 2nd year uni student (when i go back on tuesday :D :D ) so i enjoy nights out, watching films, listening to music and i did play the keyboard until i started my a levels

Last edited by a moderator:
Along with my 2 whippets, new pup in October (can't wait) going to Wales to pick her up from Mike Brown.

I childmind from home, I breed and show rabbits and am secretary of our local rabbit club. Also wife and mother :clown:

Three whippets and two teenagers and a husband and a cat take up a lot of time :)

I love films and good TV. I walk rescued greyhounds for the RGT once a week. I also love music, especially going to gigs and usually have one or two lined up to look forward to - have been into indie, industrial, metal, alternative country etc but now listen to most stuff except all that hardcore dance type sh*te and meaningless pop drivel which I just don't get :)) Latest one lined up is the Black Keys in November.

I'm quite into gardening, though you wouldn't guess from looking at my garden at the moment - whippets have destroyed the lawn and because I spend a lot of time out walking them at weekends I don't get to rescue the garden! I'm a Trustee for Scruples Whippet Rescue as well and have fostered one dog but then failed on my second because we kept her..!

I'm also an avid reader - spent many years as an English teacher when I didn't have time to read so am making up for lost time - love contemporary fiction. I like holidaying in Wales (some of my family are from there, I went to Uni in Swansea and just feel very at home there) although I like to get further afield as well and this year went to Canada. I'm into history as well and like visiting old places :))

Also make more time for my friends these days and have got back in touch with some old friends through facebook who I meet up with regularly now.

Occasionally I fit work in as well :thumbsup:

Most of my spare time is spent showing and walking the whipsters but I am also a Manchester City season ticket holder and try and get to most home games and an away game or two each season.

I also love to read and bake; just don’t get enough opportunity to do either at the moment.

Oh and of course, I like the odd visit to the pub!!

well anyone who has me on facebook knows i love photography, i'm usually uploading photos on there. i'm also a 2nd year uni student (when i go back on tuesday :D :D ) so i enjoy nights out, watching films, listening to music and i did play the keyboard until i started my a levels
Really Sal??? Never knew you liked photography... ;)

Whippets take up most of our spare time lately with 3 lure coursing adults to keep fit and 2 young pups to mind (and not forgetting Wilbur the epileptic dachshund who is an honorary whippet), and then getting Scruples Whippet Rescue off the ground has been a major undertaking (waves at the other trustees who are posting :) )

We used to do a *lot* of hill walking but I now have rheumatoid arthritis in my feet so that has been somewhat curtailed ... but I'll keep taking the pills and who knows what the future holds. I also used to swim most days, but again the RA has put paid to that for the time being.

I am a Fellow of the Linnean Society of London and am writing the biography of one of the Society's founders ... he was a bit of a black sheep and 'borrowed' money from the Society's coffers to pay off his debts so kinda got written out of history, until now ;)

And music takes up a lot of the family's time ... folk, indie, rock, classical ... I sing (but not publicly anymore), we spent years delivering my daughter and her violin to various youth orchestras, we support our son's band Beneath Black Skies, and we like to get to gigs when we can but our taste is pretty electic ... next up a good rousing dose of Runrig (ok, showing our ages there lol).

Whippets take up most of our spare time lately with 3 lure coursing adults to keep fit and 2 young pups to mind (and not forgetting Wilbur the epileptic dachshund who is an honorary whippet), and then getting Scruples Whippet Rescue off the ground has been a major undertaking (waves at the other trustees who are posting :) )
We used to do a *lot* of hill walking but I now have rheumatoid arthritis in my feet so that has been somewhat curtailed ... but I'll keep taking the pills and who knows what the future holds. I also used to swim most days, but again the RA has put paid to that for the time being.

I am a Fellow of the Linnean Society of London and am writing the biography of one of the Society's founders ... he was a bit of a black sheep and 'borrowed' money from the Society's coffers to pay off his debts so kinda got written out of history, until now ;)

And music takes up a lot of the family's time ... folk, indie, rock, classical ... I sing (but not publicly anymore), we spent years delivering my daughter and her violin to various youth orchestras, we support our son's band Beneath Black Skies, and we like to get to gigs when we can but our taste is pretty electic ... next up a good rousing dose of Runrig (ok, showing our ages there lol).
And you're a dab hand at Facebook Scrabble! :-

Really Sal??? Never knew you liked photography... ;)
well u learn something new everyday clair don't you ;)

forgot to put that until a few years ago i used to ride/own a horse with my mum

Along with my 2 whippets, new pup in October (can't wait) going to Wales to pick her up from Mike Brown.I childmind from home, I breed and show rabbits and am secretary of our local rabbit club. Also wife and mother :clown:

I would love to see pictures of your rabbits. What type do you breed.

my hobbies have stayed the same for years Machine knitting, sewing, indian bead work not very oftren with that now the dogs take up most of my time and at the momnet sorting out some new ideas to pipm my mobility scooter even more shes got to go pink along with pimping the caravan

I breed chinchilla rabbits and Polish, Hubby breeds Black rex and silver greys

Here are some of mine from a recent show

A Polish

030.jpg

The Grey one is one of my Chinchillas

newcounty4.jpg

an older chinchilla baby pic

Picture052.jpg

I will have to get the camera out for hubby's bunnies

I breed chinchilla rabbits and Polish, Hubby breeds Black rex and silver greysHere are some of mine from a recent show

A Polish

030.jpg

The Grey one is one of my Chinchillas

newcounty4.jpg

an older chinchilla baby pic

Picture052.jpg

I will have to get the camera out for hubby's bunnies

Aww they are just beautiful. :wub: Just lovely to see your photos..thanks for sharing...

Brings back so many memories from my showing days too.. I showed New Zealand Whites and Black and Tans

I also dabbled with English but found them much too hard in the showing world, getting those spots just right in the breeding.

At one time I had around 15 rabbits and 20 guinea pigs ..kept in my dads allotments in my purpose built shed and hutches.

I used to spend every Sunday cleaning them all out and my friends used to love to visit and see them all.

I still love to visit the Rabbit tent at local shows...and still keep rabbits today, but as pets only..I also have a dwarf

a Lion Head and a Blue English.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have our local show tomorrow and I will try to grab a second to get some pics, I know there are tans and english entered. English are aptly named heartbreakers by the old timers :thumbsup:

As well as my five dogs, I foster and rehabilitate rescue rats...I currently have fifteen, seven of which are having medication five times a day for respiratory problems which can be time consuming( imagine a tiny dog refusing to take its pills and you can't exactly just push it over the back of it's tongue!! (w00t) ).

I also have rabbits and an elderly dwarf hamster.

I spend most of my spare time either outdoors with my dogs or cycling..I have several bikes and enjoy all terrains.

I am a real bookworm and read a lot.

I don't watch tv at all and couldn't name a single track in the top 40 as i only rarely get to hear a radio. I would happily get rid of the tv altogether as i can't see the point.

I enjoy occasional trips to the cinema and probably once a month get to watch a dvd.

I'm currently writing a children's story about a rat called Colin( I actually own the rat called Colin). I also have another book on the go which I won't say too much about as yet.

I work full-time but could happily write full time given half a chance, sadly i have loans and a mortgage to pay.

I'm currently looking to change my job as I hate being a Welding Engineer and would like to do anything except engineering....after 24 years it has lost what little charm it had.

in four years time when our loans are paid off we hope to sell the house and buy a smallholding, that is what we are working towards.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back