The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Archie.....is Poorly

~JO~

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Despite suffering all his life with what we thought was colicky type problem and trying lots of various medication, he has now just been diagnosed today as having pancreatitis :(

His levels from his blood test were off the scale. He now has to have a severe diet change to low fat and low protein diet and has been given special enzyme powder from the vet for addition to his 4 meals a day. I am hoping to feed him a homemade diet but bought him some Hills I/D canned food from the vet just to tide him over til I get the homemade diet sorted. He basically has to have a very bland diet, chicken and rice based. I never thought I'd have to buy Hills and am shocked it works out £20 a week for the tinned food (w00t)

I feel so bad he has suffered for so long with this and that the vet didn't pick it up earlier, I hope the damage to his pancreas hasn't been too severe. Apprerntly they are prone to developing diabetes but he is okay at the mo. No wonder he has been so lethargic.

Anyway just wondering whether anyone on here has experience of managing a dog with pancreatitis as any info will be most welcome.

So sorry to hear that it's pancreatitis - I'm shocked that's what has been causing his problems I thought it was more to do with abdominal problems and sickness. Poor Archie. :luck:

£20 a week for canned dog food? :blink: I'd be looking into a home cooked diet too.

Now that you know what it is and can manage he should pick up - imagine if he ended up like Stanley (w00t)

Rae said:
So sorry to hear that it's pancreatitis - I'm shocked that's what has been causing his problems I thought it was more to do with abdominal problems and sickness.  Poor Archie. :luck:
£20 a week for canned dog food?  :blink:   I'd be looking into a home cooked diet too.

Now that you know what it is and can manage he should pick up - imagine if he ended up like Stanley  (w00t)

Apparently the pancreatic enzymes should only start working in the small intestine but they are starting to work in the pancreas - so basically the pancreas is eating itself :( Which is causing the pain and then the sickness and cramps etc

:lol: :lol: Imagine if he did end up like Stanley!! I could have a whole different dog on my hands!!

sending Archie a :huggles: from us. At least you now know what's the matter with him and hopefully with the condition being managed he will be perking up no end :) Get cooking up some home made recipes - £20 a week (w00t)

Sorry to read about poor Archie. Hope that you can get his diet sorted out soon. I'd be very interested to know what you end up feeding him.

Poor Archie
c_hugs.gif

Bad news for Archie - but hopefully with the right treatment and diet he will be fighting fit soon. Best of luck :luck:

My old boy Bryn had pancreatitis a few years ago he spent 24hrs at the vets on a drip until his blood count was better and sent home with some Hills cans, after a couple of weeks of the Hills he went back on to his usual food and was fine. Bryn also got treated for colitis before he had his pancreatic attack,

Hope Archie feels well soon

Poor Archie! :( I hope little Miss Peggy-Sue is helping by being his nursemaid. :huggles: :huggles: :wub: :wub:

Really sorry to hear this - lots of :huggles: for Archie. Hopefully, he'll be feeling better in no time.

And £20 a week on food :eek:

good luck with archie jo,hope hes feeling better real soon :wub: :huggles:

:( So sorry to hear about Archie's illness. Poor boy. Good luck with the rest of his treatment and new diet and fingers crossed he will pick up v soon :huggles: :huggles:

So sorry to hear all this about Archie, hope you can sort out his diet and he will soon be feeling better ! lots of kisses to him :*

Sorry to hear that Archie is poorly, give him a :huggles: from us. Have you considered Denes food? if you phone the Company they will prob. let you speak to their vet who will give you great advice, or they used to anyway.

:luck: with Archie

Oh gosh Jo! I'm so sorry to hear this. Please give him a hug for me. From what I understand when it's been discussed on Whippet World it is manageable, just a pain. Hopefully his will be easily manageable - fingers crossed.

Wendy

Poor Archie, what a relief that you now know what's been causing his problems. Good luck with managing it and sorting out his home cooked food.

Sorry to hear about Archie, Jo. My dear departed Coco had a very acute bout of pancreatitis once. She, unlike Archie, did not have any prior ongoing symptoms but went down in a day. She was at the Vets for three days on a drip but recovered as quickly as she went down with it. she was sent home with only one tinned of the Hills prescription diet and my Vet advised me to feed her once she had finished that ....................................... CHAPPIE!!! Which I did and then gradually introduced her back onto her normal diet.

I did have a Pointer many years ago that suffered from pancreatic deficiency, he had low grade digestion problems that wouldn't clear up until he was diagnosed. He then had the enzyme additive daily in his food. Can't remember now what I fed him but very likely something like Chappie.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back