The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

At What Age Would You Have A Male Neutered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

veronyc

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our vet recommended 7 months.

What do you think?

Although he has only one testicle and I hope it won't lead to complication.

Hi there.

Our vet said around 6 months. Having said that, I am not having Fletcher "done" as I like him just the way he is, with danglies and all...........ask me again in 6 months when he is widdling all over the house or something catastrophical like that and I may change my mind!..

Jenny

My eldest boy is nearly 7 hes never been done and he is a dream to own he isnt aggresive and he is spotless in the house and always has been.

It maybe that your dog does have two testicles, one being retained inside him, if so your vet will remove that one at the same time. Retained testicles can cause dogs to experience some pain when running and also they are linked to increased likelihood of testicular cancer.

If you have him castrated at 7 months then he is unlikely to develop fully as a male. This can affect his appearence and behaviour. If this concerns you then I'd leave it until he was over 18 months of age.

Jenny I have 6 entire males here and they don't scent mark in my house or cause me any other problems, you will very unlucky if that happens.

I've just read your question. So I've edited this to answer it. :) As I already own 6 entire males then obviously I wouldn't have him castrated unless there was a medical problem or serious fighting which I felt could only be sorted out by castration. I may however have him operated on to remove the retained testicle if it was causing any problems when running.

Last edited by a moderator:
BeeJay said:
If you have him castrated at 7 months then he is unlikely to develop fully as a male.  This can affect his appearence and behaviour.
We will have him castrated because of risk of cancer and because he loves running off lead and I would not want him to run away in search of a mate.

How old is a whippet when he is fully developped?

veronyc said:
BeeJay said:
If you have him castrated at 7 months then he is unlikely to develop fully as a male.  This can affect his appearence and behaviour.
We will have him castrated because of risk of cancer and because he loves running off lead and I would not want him to run away in search of a mate.

i agree ...always advisable to listen to the advice of your vet :thumbsup:

veronyc said:
BeeJay said:

:b Sorry when I went back and saw the topic title I realised that I hadn't answered your question so I've edited my original reply. :thumbsup:

Roughly I'd say at 18+ months old but I always think that dogs are matured fully at around 3 years of age. One thing that you might need to think about is whether you do want him to develop fully as a male dog. If not then get him done earlier at 7 months. Even if you have him castrated now there will still be some testosterone in his system for a while.

BTW Because he's a whippet you shouldn't have any problems with him running off to mate. Mine don't, including the one that's been used as a stud dog. I don't think that there are any entire males on this board that do. Male entire whippets are very easy to live with. May well be different with other breeds.

To be honest IF I was intending on having my dog neutered then I'd have him done at 6-7 months of age.

veronyc said:
BeeJay said:

Hi veronyc, I have an un-netured male Whippet who is 2 1/2 now. He recently came across a bitch on heat whilst we were down the local park. It was the first one he had met and I was a little worried at what he might do - I needn't have been he was totally unaware, or if he was aware it didn't bother him. The dogs played and then we carried on our walk. It defiantley isn't rule of thumb that an un-netured male will stray :)

BeeJay said:
veronyc said:
BeeJay said:

:b Sorry when I went back and saw the topic title I realised that I hadn't answered your question so I've edited my original reply. :thumbsup:

Roughly I'd say at 18+ months old but I always think that dogs are matured fully at around 3 years of age. One thing that you might need to think about is whether you do want him to develop fully as a male dog. If not then get him done earlier at 7 months. Even if you have him castrated now there will still be some testosterone in his system for a while.

BTW Because he's a whippet you shouldn't have any problems with him running off to mate. Mine don't, including the one that's been used as a stud dog. I don't think that there are any entire males on this board that do. Male entire whippets are very easy to live with. May well be different with other breeds.

To be honest IF I was intending on having my dog neutered then I'd have him done at 6-7 months of age.

apart from the fact her own dog may not run off to mate the rest of the statement is INCORRECT!

please stick to opinions and not use false facts!

Veronyc I've pm'd you. I'm sure that you can understand why. I hope that other people will too and that they won't be put off replying to you. :(

Bailey had one testicle and we had him done at 14 months on the vets advice, the vet wasn't happy with were the other testicle was. The were no complications. Bailey had 2 cuts instead of one and he was his normal self again the next day.

Hi, My male whippet Binx has 2 testicals retained, and from the advise off people here I'm leaving him to mautre first before he has to have the major op to remove them :( , possible at the age of 2 years old. (not looking forward to this one bit :( )

if he didn't have this problem I wouldn't have him castrated at all, but I'd rather have a healthy castrated male that an unhealthy potentional cancer risk one.

»Tina« said:
Hi, My male whippet Binx has 2 testicals retained, and from the advise off people here I'm leaving him to mautre first before he has to have the major op to remove them  :( , possible at the age of 2 years old. (not looking forward to this one bit  :( )
if he didn't have this problem I wouldn't have him castrated at all, but I'd rather have a healthy castrated male that an unhealthy potentional cancer risk one.

ithink you should talk to your vet on this one as he,she ,knows alot more than anyone on here , and you want to do whats best for your dog ,and not get into a fight with others on here everyone has such different views ,you have to do whats right for you and your dog :D

I see, I see,

Its ok to chop the crown jewels of us poor boys, but when Dawn opened the can of worms about speying all hell broke loose.

Just how predictable is the female of our species (w00t) :- " :- " :- "

Shall I run for cover now, or wait a few minutes ;)

Firemansam said:
I see, I see,
Its ok to chop the crown jewels of us poor boys, but when Dawn opened the can of worms about speying all hell broke loose.

Just how predictable is the female of our species (w00t)   :- "  :- "  :- "

LOL! We'll give you a head start!!!

At the risk of being labelled insane, irresponsible and extremist, and IMO only, castrating dogs is the same as spaying bitches, if it needs doing for a medical reason, fine, otherwise leave well alone!!!!

At the risk of being labelled insane, irresponsible and extremist, and IMO only, castrating dogs is the same as spaying bitches, if it needs doing for a medical reason, fine, otherwise leave well alone!!!!

-_- -_- do you and beejay do a double act? :clown:

i wondered how long it would take for her to pm you too!

Firemansam said:
I see, I see,

Just how predictable is the female of our species (w00t)   :- "  :- "  :- "

Of course it's a different matter Firemansam. :lol:

I wonder if they would run faster without the dangly bits to increase drag. :- "

Anyway they look tidier without them. :thumbsup:

I had one whippet castrated when he was six months old and he was and is perfectly fine(he's almost ten years now).my other 1.5 whippets are rescue's and were both neutered around nine months old when i got them.

Having a friend who had an unneutered male whippet who was extremely badly behaved and who was a menace to any bitches and seeing the change in him after neutering there is no way i would not neuter my dogs.

For me personally i would only keep a male intact if i intended to breed from him.

Please note this is just my opinion which i am fully entitled to and is not meant to cause offense. (I have many years experience in rescue and whippet owning.)

~whitecross whippets~ said:
-_-   -_- do you and beejay do a double act?  :clown: i wondered how long it would take for her to pm you too!

(w00t) Why do you have to be so rude, can 2 people not have the same opinion (which is opposing yours) without being jumped on?

My 2 are both entire males (both have 2), have never strayed and don't have any problems with them being over-sexed or anything else. But IMO if one is retained would have him castrated when he is around 18months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back