The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Auto Immune Disease In Dogs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So sorry to hear that Tally is so poorly, and hope that you have a good result today at the vets :luck: :luck: :luck:

steroids do have side effects so I hope my whippet won't have to stay on them long term.

I don't know how strong his tabs are but he just gets one a day. As he is much improved after 4 days medication/less than two weeks ill, I hope we can now reduce the dosage to one tab every second day and see how he goes.

while a lumbar puncture might give a clearer diagnosis, it would be both more costly and risky so I think it wouldn't be necessary or desirable if the dog responds to treatment (or gets better despite the treatment!)

Tracy Chamberlain said:
So sorry to hear that Tally is so poorly, and hope that you have a good result today at the vets  :luck:   :luck:   :luck:
Tally's okay now thanks. :thumbsup: I started this thread last year when he was very ill.

It's Macha's dog that's ill now.

Macha said:
steroids do have side effects so I hope my whippet won't have to stay on them long term.I don't know how strong his tabs are but he just gets one a day. As he is much improved after 4 days medication/less than two weeks ill, I hope we can now reduce the dosage to one tab every second day and see how he goes.

while a lumbar puncture might give a clearer diagnosis, it would be both more costly and risky so I think it wouldn't be necessary or desirable if the dog responds to treatment (or gets better despite the treatment!)

Firstly I don't think that one a day is an immune suppresant dosage. That's without knowing the strength. The dogs that I've known with diagnosed AI disease have been on lots more than that. AND because of the effects of the steroids on the stomach they've also been gastric buffered.

So your boy doesn't seem to be as ill as those ones. In fact he seems to be responding like Tally did. Tally was only on pred for about 6 weeks - 2 months. Most of that time he wasn't on 1 a day. Sorry I'm hopeless I just can't remember what the exact details were. Tally hasn't needed any medication for over a year.

With my friend who has a dog with steroid responsive menigitis that dog initially came off pred totally but had a relapse :( this time it affected the membrane around his spine and I think I'm right in that he's remained on pred since. Prednisolone stays in the system for a very long time - at least 6 weeks. Several dogs with AI disease's seem to be fine with being weaned off pred and then relapse at around 6 months. They then have to go back on it - high dosage again until they reach a dosage which maintains their health.

The people who I know who've dogs with this type of problem have told me that on the day that they have to give the pred the dog is clearly starting to 'become ill again'. ie gums pale, stiffer movement, not eating. These are dogs on a pred giving day then a gap of a day or two then another pred giving day.

The only advantage to having a lumber puncture or spinal tap is that you and the vets know exactly what is wrong. On the other hand if the treatment is the same anyway ................................

BeeJay said:
Macha said:
steroids do have side effects so I hope my whippet won't have to stay on them long term.I don't know how strong his tabs are but he just gets one a day. As he is much improved after 4 days medication/less than two weeks ill, I hope we can now reduce the dosage to one tab every second day and see how he goes.

Firstly I don't think that one a day is an immune suppresant dosage. That's without knowing the strength. The dogs that I've known with diagnosed AI disease have been on lots more than that. AND because of the effects of the steroids on the stomach they've also been gastric buffered.

So your boy doesn't seem to be as ill as those ones. In fact he seems to be responding like Tally did. Tally was only on pred for about 6 weeks - 2 months. Most of that time he wasn't on 1 a day. Sorry I'm hopeless I just can't remember what the exact details were. Tally hasn't needed any medication for over a year.

With my friend who has a dog with steroid responsive menigitis that dog initially came off pred totally but had a relapse :( this time it affected the membrane around his spine and I think I'm right in that he's remained on pred since. Prednisolone stays in the system for a very long time - at least 6 weeks. Several dogs with AI disease's seem to be fine with being weaned off pred and then relapse at around 6 months. They then have to go back on it - high dosage again until they reach a dosage which maintains their health.

The people who I know who've dogs with this type of problem have told me that on the day that they have to give the pred the dog is clearly starting to 'become ill again'. ie gums pale, stiffer movement, not eating. These are dogs on a pred giving day then a gap of a day or two then another pred giving day.

The only advantage to having a lumber puncture or spinal tap is that you and the vets know exactly what is wrong. On the other hand if the treatment is the same anyway ................................

The prednisone dosage my dog was prescribed for the first four days was 2.5 mg. As he was nearly back to normal by the fourth day, his dosage was then reduced to 1 mg to wean him off the steroids. He is on this dosage for 6 days (along with a penicillin-type antibiotic), then 1 tab every second day for another 4 days. The dog is fine now. We don'teally know what caused the inflammation/fever, but I hope it will not recur after we stop the medication.

>The prednisone dosage my dog was prescribed for the first four days was 2.5 mg. As he was nearly back to normal by the fourth day, his dosage was then reduced to 1 mg to wean him off the steroids. He is on this dosage for 6 days (along with a penicillin-type antibiotic), then 1 tab every second day for another 4 days. The dog is fine now. We don'teally know what caused the inflammation/fever, but I hope it will not recur after we stop the medication.

That's nothing like the amount that the AI diseased dogs that I know have been on. Very glad to read that he's okay now. That's the main thing isn't it. Hugs to him.

Barbara

I'm so very sorry to hear your sad news, having recently lost a very young dog myself. I know you will do everything humanly possible to get Tally well again. You can count on k9 it is a great place to find support and information...

I was overwhelmed by the response to little Rues problems and the advice I was given, just wish I had found K9 a long time ago....

my thoughts are with you, please keep us posted on Tallys progress

Kindest Regards

Dawn

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back