The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Barf Again.

simon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Any tips on a typical days/weeks BARF diet regime and average cost.

All help very appreciated, thanks, Simon.

simon said:
Any tips on a typical days/weeks BARF diet regime and average cost.
All help very appreciated, thanks, Simon.

Have a look on the BARF website Simon for ideas of regimes. I think everyone does things slightly differently to suit themselves and their dogs.

Cost wise - im feeding Chloe and Frankie on BARF for less than what it use to cost to feed Chloe alone on a good quality complete. (or should i say, quite expensively priced complete!) In fact, i think even when my new pup arrives this week, all three will be able to be fed for around the same as feeding Chloe complete, or less!

My tip would be to shop around. If you buy from Pets at Home for example, it will work out expensive. I've now found a local butcher that gives me chicken wings and offal for nothing, and i know that lots of other K9ers get good prices from their local butchers. I bought a second hand freezer for £20 to have in the garage just for the dogs meat , it means i can bulk buy. Vicky has started a thread on General dog related discussion about a compay called Landywood - their prices are very reasonable and it sounds like people have found them good. Im going to be using them for my next delivery! :thumbsup:

:luck: with trying Barf, i don't think you'll regret it!

Thanks Jok,

I'm currently spending £50+ per month on dog food (for 1 dog), had a look at the landywood site, seems good. Apart from chicken wings, what other bones are you feeding? Do you give meat on the bone or do you get the bones separate? and can i give mince beef raw?

Thanks again, i'll try the barf site now.

simon said:
Thanks Jok,
I'm currently spending £50+ per month on dog food (for 1 dog), had a look at the landywood site, seems good.  Apart from chicken wings, what other bones are you feeding?  Do you give meat on the bone or do you get the bones separate?  and can i give mince beef raw?

Thanks again, i'll try the barf site now.

Mine have chicken wings, veg/fruit and raw egg for breakfast. They have raw mince (that has been frozen and defrosted first) - variety of tripe, beef, lamb or chicken, with laughing dog mixer for tea. I don't feed another bones regularly, only marrow as a treat, as well as pigs ears as treats.

If you're spending £50, you will definitely spend less on Barf.

Forgot - they have necks as well, which look disgusting but they love. Also , offal such as kidneys! And sardines, salmon etc for brekkie too sometimes. :thumbsup:

I was trying to work this out the other day... after a conversation in which a friend told me I was mad feeding my whippets that "special stuff", she could get a 25kg bag of "Gusto" for £5 and it lasted her labrador a whole month (w00t)

I reckon it's about £1 a day to feed both my two, give or take a bit depending on whether it's a sardines day or not. Aldi do v cheap srdines, though, at about 29p a tin.

I don't price in the veg, because it's always offcuts from ours that I whizz in the blender and they're "free" because I don't buy extra veg especially for the dogs, if that makes sense.

~Helen~ said:
I was trying to work this out the other day... after a conversation in which a friend told me I was mad feeding my whippets that "special stuff", she could get a 25kg bag of "Gusto" for £5 and it lasted her labrador a whole month (w00t)
I reckon it's about £1 a day to feed both my two, give or take a bit depending on whether it's a sardines day or not. Aldi do v cheap srdines, though, at about 29p a tin.

I don't price in the veg, because it's always offcuts from ours that I whizz in the blender and they're "free" because I don't buy extra veg especially for the dogs, if that makes sense.

That Gusto must be made of sawdust (w00t) God knows what's in it! Asda do sardines for 18p a tin and cheap salmon for 33p :thumbsup:

I managed to get 2lb lamb hearts and 2lb lambs liver from the butcher for £2, he also threw in a massive bone full of marrow for free! The dog ate them with vigour, which was nice to see as lately hes been picky about the dry food.

I think i'm going to try Landywoods, but my freezer at home wouldn't be big enough to take the £50 minimum order. I'll have to spend a third on their mixer or something.

Thanks Wobblywitch i'll try the Barf group now.

When feeding tinned sadines, what are they in? I get mine john west sardines in sunflower oil as I have not seen the asda ones at 18p a tin. I will be looking out for them the next time I am in.

I feed mine a lot of lamb bones as well. My butcher gets me rib cages and doesn't charge for them. I give them chicken carcasses too as they cost me 20p each.

Orinjpeel said:
When feeding tinned sadines, what are they in?  I get mine john west sardines in sunflower oil as I have not seen the asda ones at 18p a tin.  I will be looking out for them the next time I am in.
I feed mine a lot of lamb bones as well.  My butcher gets me rib cages and doesn't charge for them. I give them chicken carcasses too as they cost me 20p each.

They are in tomato juice. No artificial flavourings or preservatives :thumbsup:

I have been feeding my tibetan terrier on the barf diet for over 4 years and the two whipets since they were 8 weeks old. (They are now 3.5 and 2 years old). I have never really thought seriously about the cost until this thread and Simon's initial question. As I needed to completely restock this week, I have calculated how much a day the barf diet costs.

I buy chicken carcasses direct from a processing plant at £8.20 for 13.21kg. (49 carcasses). Each dog has one half carcass per evening, The chicken wings I buy in bulk(18kg, 175 three joint wings) from the butcher for £23.00. They each have one chicken wing every other morning. On the alternative mornings they have raw vegi-mix (which I make myself from cabbage, carrot, apples, baked beans, tinned tomatoes etc.) together with one of the following; sardines, yogurt, eggs, pilchards, tuna, table scraps, or cream cheese. This is the most expensive part of the feed.

The total cost per dog per day works out at out at £0.32. (Or just under £1.00 per day for all three.)

Could someone tell me how this compares with a good tinned/dry food diet?

Dennis Green said:
I have been feeding my tibetan terrier on the barf diet for over 4 years and the two whipets since they were 8 weeks old. (They are now 3.5 and 2 years old). I have never really thought seriously about the cost until this thread and Simon's initial question. As I needed to completely restock this week, I have calculated how much a day the barf diet costs.I buy chicken carcasses direct from a processing plant at £8.20 for 13.21kg. (49 carcasses). Each dog has one half carcass per evening, The chicken wings I buy in bulk(18kg, 175 three joint wings) from the butcher for £23.00. They each have one chicken wing every other morning. On the alternative mornings they have raw vegi-mix (which I make myself from cabbage, carrot, apples, baked beans, tinned tomatoes etc.) together with one of the following; sardines, yogurt, eggs, pilchards, tuna, table scraps, or cream cheese. This is the most expensive part of the feed.

The total cost per dog per day works out at out at £0.32. (Or just under £1.00 per day for all three.)

Could someone tell me how this compares with a good tinned/dry food diet?

I've been feeding a junior deerhound on Hill's dry food with supplements, a 15kg bag last 3-4 weeks and is £43, the supplements for strong bones e.t.c. is £6 for this period. So min. cost is £1.71 per day ! If this carries on and i get another deerhound i'll be fed on Tesco value soup min. cost 0.19p per day.

What tactics do you use when talking to butchers?

I always get a really cagey response. They say "No, we haven't got any trimmings" when there's a great heap of them on the butcher's block behind them. They'll sell me marrow bones for 30p each, but that's quite expensive. I have found my freerange meat supplier is fine and will give me bones for free, but again a bit cagey about meat products. I wonder why this is? He says he has to pay to have them disposed of, but I say "I'll pay and you can dispose of them in my whippets' stomachs!!" :lol:

I'm always quite upfront about it being for my dogs and that I feed them a lot of raw meat... I wonder why I don't get the results that you guys get in the butcher's shop :(

i feed chudleys greyhound maintanace mixed with sardines or pilchards ,or some times dog meat.their all seem very fit on this.the chudleys costs £11.50 PER 15 KG SACK A VERY GOOD MEAL FOR THE MONEY. :)

~Helen~ said:
I always get a really cagey response. They say "No, we haven't got any trimmings" when there's a great heap of them on the butcher's block behind them. They'll sell me marrow bones for 30p each, but that's quite expensive. I have found my freerange meat supplier is fine and will give me bones for free, but again a bit cagey about meat products. I wonder why this is? He says he has to pay to have them disposed of, but I say "I'll pay and you can dispose of them in my whippets' stomachs!!" :lol:

I'm always quite upfront about it being for my dogs and that I feed them a lot of raw meat... I wonder why I don't get the results that you guys get in the butcher's shop :(

I buy some of their steak every so often and some lambs hearts for the dogs, the butcher seems happy to offload the rest.

~Helen~ said:

Do you go to the same butcher Helen? Maybe it just comes down to them being generally funny people and you should try another butchers?

Or do you just go in and ask for the meat for the dogs? If so, maybe they think its a bit cheeky not buying anything and jusy going in for free scraps? :eek:

I always buy something for myself, even if its just a pack of chicken breasts or a pie...then while they are wrapping that up i ask for the dog bits :thumbsup:

I dont think id have the confidence to not buy anyhting and just ask for stuff for the dogs. I think its not very courtiess. or maybe its just me :wacko: :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
We have been going to the same family run butchers for many many years. We buy most of our meat from them and, over time have got to know the family.

We have been taking our dogs to Ireland for several years and the butchers over there are very very generous. When we ask if they have any bones for the dogs, we end up with bones with enough meat on them to feed a family!

whippynit said:
~Helen~ said:

Do you go to the same butcher Helen? Maybe it just comes down to them being generally funny people and you should try another butchers?

Or do you just go in and ask for the meat for the dogs? If so, maybe they think its a bit cheeky not buying anything and jusy going in for free scraps? :eek:

I always buy something for myself, even if its just a pack of chicken breasts or a pie...then while they are wrapping that up i ask for the dog bits :thumbsup:

I dont think id have the confidence to not buy anyhting and just ask for stuff for the dogs. I think its not very courtiess. or maybe its just me :wacko: :- "

I've been buying meat for years from my freerange chap, spend about £50 every fortnight, so if that's not courteous I don't know what is! The other butchers I had alreayd bought chicken breasts (at an exorbitant price) and asked for the scraps as an afterthought. Maybe they are just funny chaps and I'll try the butchers near my new house once I've "courted" them!! :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back