The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Barf Feeding Agian!

whippynit

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I know natural feeding has been covered more than several times on here!, but ive scrolled back and cant find what people do regarding veg/fruit? :wacko:

I get a mixture of fruit and veg, generally whatever they have in the farm shop that week and bung it all in the blender and then put in bags and freeze ready to be defrosted to last a couple of days.

I also add Dorwest Herbs Keepers Mix and Wheatgerm Oil. THey also get Dorwest Herbs Easy Green if I have not got any veg in that day.

Mine also have whole carrots as a treat! :thumbsup:

I usually blend carrots, tinned peas, brocolli, green pepper, tinned tomatoes, cabbage, spinach, curly kale and sometimes an auborgine and califlower. I sometimes chuck in a bit of SA37 in there too. :) Basically whatever's to hand! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here really, whatevr I have in at the time.....cabbage, corgettes, carrots, turnip, brocolli,cauli, tomatoes. I havnt tried green peppers though yet.

I also have a tub of Easy Green in the house too. :thumbsup:

I run brocolli, cabbage or carrots and spinach through the blender (I feed Nature Diet and instersperse it with BARF as the two are fairly similar and interchangeable I find). The key is to make sure it is diced so finely in a blender it's almost a mash, otherwise it can't be digested properly (feeding carrots whole probably has the desired effect anyway as it'll be throughly chewed and seems to have the added bonus of keeping your dogs quiet for a while :- " )

LasVegasNo1 said:
I usually blend carrots, tinned peas, brocolli, green pepper, tinned tomatoes, cabbage, spinach, curly kale and sometimes an auborgine and califlower. I sometimes chuck in a bit of SA37 in there too. :) Basically whatever's to hand! :p
Did I say auborgine?! I meant corgette! :p

Hi....Nicola in particular... Can I ask you...Do you feed the nature diet and veg with a mixer ?..Or do you use rice or similar ?

I have been reading up all about the BARF diet and also looked at Prize Choice which is like Nature`s diet but at the moment my head is spinning !!!

Does anyone feed tripe with a mixer ? If so which mixer and do you add vegetables too ?

Thanks Whippynit for this thread..It is interesting. All my dogs do great on kibble but I am looking into a change for them. :wub:

Flowerpot said:
Hi....Nicola in particular... Can I ask you...Do you feed the nature diet and veg with a mixer ?..Or do you use rice or similar ?
I have been reading up all about the BARF diet and also looked at Prize Choice which is like Nature`s diet but at the moment my head is spinning !!!

Does anyone feed tripe with a mixer ? If so which mixer and do you add vegetables too ?

Thanks Whippynit for this thread..It is interesting. All my dogs do great on kibble but I am looking into a change for them. :wub:

I feed Ruby raw meat, including tripe, usually Prize Choice or from the butcher. I try to feed her a little fish too but she is not keen. She also has lamb rib bones for breakfast. I feed her a little veg, but personally do not think that the amount need be more than 10% of the total diet. She is not keen on mixer, and will tend to leave the meat if there is mixer in it, but I give some if I think she will take it or I feed her biscuits so that she gets a little carbohydrate. I don't worry about the small amount of carbohydrate though, as again I don't think much is necessary. She has other bits and pieces on an ad hoc basis, as would a scavenger. I feed her a supplement though.

Pauline

We feed ours tripe/mince etc with the veg/fruit mixture and then with a natural wholemeal mixer. They also sometimes get eggs, natural yoghurt, cottage cheese, pasta and rice chicken wings, ribs etc. A couple of times a week they will each get a tin of sardines in tomato juice too.

Jo's dobermann Chloe used to have a terrible coat when she was fed on a complete food, she changed over to BARF with the whippets and the difference in her is incredible. I would definitely recommend it!

Thank you both very much! I am looking at as much information as I can and bought a book by Carina Beth MacDonald called " Raw Dog Food" which is very interesting BUT the thought of all that raw meat and raw eggs in my kitchen scares me to death !

Also she feeds turkey necks etc....And to be honest..I don`t think I could !! :unsure: To see my dogs eating all that stuff ....I just don`t know about it !

Rosie often catches birds and eats them and it horrifies me..I get really upset , poor lttle birds, but it is just nature..it`s difficult though, if you know what I mean.

I am taking in as much as I can though , so we`ll see ! Incidently, all my dogs do really well on the kibble and all in beautiful coat and condition. They do get cod liver oil about 3/4 times a week in the winter months and the odd eggs and white fish.

Thanks again !! :huggles: I really appreciate it. It`s one thing reading all about it and quite another talking to people who actually do it. :blink:

I think turkey necks are a bit big for whippets - chicken wings a couple of times a week would be better I think.

Chloe the dobe has turkey necks and they are disgusting!! :oops:

EEEKS..I agree with you !! (w00t) By the way..do you give raw bones ?

Hi, I too was a bit scared of going totally BARF, so I do a mixture. I feed raw chicken wings two or three mornings a week and then for the evening meals they either have NatureDiet or Prize Choice raw mince. Prize Choice do two packs that are meals, so they have the veggies included. Also the Naturediet has rice and some veg included. I have done this as I do not have the space to freeze and store all the necessary stuff to do a completely BARF diet, much as I would like to. They also get raw eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese etc as and when I have it in. They too love whole raw carrots to chew on - its good for their teeth!! Good luck, hope you find a diet that suits them and you :thumbsup:

I feed tripe too. Prize choice blocks or freeflow.

Yes I feed mine with a mixer...I use Burgess Superdog...and the veggies or pasta and sometimes rice. Raw eggs now and then, and cottage cheese.

Also chicken wings, lamb bones....yes raw bones.

As long as the raw meat has been frozen first and defrosted properley before feeding there should not be a problem.

Heres a link on Natural Feeding for you.

http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/natural-pet-f...guide/index.php

Yes I also feed meaty ribs; raw bones.

Be very careful with these though - Logan has suffered with terrible constipation after getting rather bunged up on bones. Bless him

Oh thank you Janimal..I`ll go and look at that link now !! Chills....I don`t have the space to store either as I got rid of my big freezer when the family grew up and I only have a small fridge freezer now.

I always have loads of vegetables in because I have 8 guinea pigs so that is no problem. The way you are feeding might suit me, I think I could manage that.

Where do I buy chicken wings ...At the supermarket ? The bones can`t splinter and the dogs choke on them, can they ?

Also, how do you feed the eggs ? Do you just give whole or mixed in with the feed ?

So sorry about all the questions but I want to do it the right way and be confident about it...At the moment, I ain`t !!! :eek: :teehee: :teehee:

I feel a bit of a fraud now because I'm still experimenting myself :b . I went off the Naturediet for a while as I had the odd dodgy pack and the boys were sick as a result, so tried to make my own at home. I'd lightly roast a chicken (freerange (w00t) - pull off the wings first and feed them raw), tear the meat off and shred into small pieces, put it into a bowl and add the minced veg. To bulk it out I'd add boiled rinsed rice or pasta. I did add raw tripe to the chicken once as well as the pasta/rice (and put this through the mincer) and it went down really well!

I don't feed mixer with the Nature diet...not sure why really, it would probably help their teeth.

Now I tend to do a few days of Nature diet and few days of home made (not a true BARF diet as already mentioned).

I don't use raw chicken (apart from the wings) but I use raw veg. I chuck them the odd sardine (they sound like sea lions now!)in a bowl once a week, as I've heard it's good for them.

Flowerpot said:
Oh thank you Janimal..I`ll go and look at that link now !! Chills....I don`t have the space to store either as I got rid of my big freezer when the family grew up and I only have a small fridge freezer now.
I always have loads of vegetables in because I have 8 guinea pigs so that is no problem. The way you are feeding might suit me, I think I could manage that.

Where do I buy chicken wings ...At the supermarket ? The bones can`t splinter and the dogs choke on them, can they ?

Also, how do you feed the eggs ? Do you just give whole or mixed in with the feed ?

So sorry about all the questions but I want to do it the right way and be confident about it...At the moment, I ain`t !!! :eek:   :teehee:   :teehee:

We order through www.landywoods.co.uk

Some people do worry about feeding chicken wings, but we've never had a problem, just make sure you supervise them when they are eating them to put your mind at rest.

As for getting room to store the meat, I would keep an eye out in your local paper for a second hand freezer. We got a big chest freezer, which we keep in the pantry, it is used solely for the dogs meat and is currently full with over 100lbs of meat, meaty ribs, chicken wings, veggies etc!

I tend to just crack an egg in with their meal a couple of times a week, sometimes I leave the shell too and they will eat that up as well :teehee:

rls22 said:
Flowerpot said:

So sorry about all the questions but I want to do it the right way and be confident about it...At the moment, I ain`t !!! :eek:   :teehee:   :teehee:

We order through www.landywoods.co.uk

Some people do worry about feeding chicken wings, but we've never had a problem, just make sure you supervise them when they are eating them to put your mind at rest.

As for getting room to store the meat, I would keep an eye out in your local paper for a second hand freezer. We got a big chest freezer, which we keep in the pantry, it is used solely for the dogs meat and is currently full with over 100lbs of meat, meaty ribs, chicken wings, veggies etc!

I tend to just crack an egg in with their meal a couple of times a week, sometimes I leave the shell too and they will eat that up as well :teehee:

i use landywoods aswell, the meat is very good, we are very new to barf to, but i find it is very good for my babies, ecksey has got a really sensitive tummy, and the barf diet really helps him, i was very sceptical about it to start with but it does all make sense, its just back to basics and instinct, exactly the same as the wild, got to be good for them i think.

Thank you all for your input, thank you so much !! Hmmmm....I agree and feel it would be best for them too so I think at some time I will `go for it` (w00t)

Do you feed your dogs outside ? I used to feed my Greyhound on tripe with a mixer and I always fed him at the back door ( Such a sloppy eater, bless !) :wub: but all my five now are fed in the kitchen which is carpet tiled.

If this stuff is raw, do you think it best they are fed outside instead ? That could be a little difficult at this moment because I have to keep Topsy and Millie separate !Cassie (pup) eats in her crate....Topsy eats in her crate and the other three all eat together....I`ll have to devise a different routine , I think.

Thank you all !! It`s been a great help...Just need the confidence to do it now !! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back