The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

BC 2 year old diet advice wanted again.

deka

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Had a nightmare getting her to have a balanced food since I got her, she has/had phases of accidents and this seemed to slow down about 8 months ago when she was changed to a different brand and given food supplement then recently having accidents again.

But last week I had some chicken breast I need used up so cooked it and diced it and just had a literal few pieces of kibble and also added a drop of fish oil to her meal, zero accidents, tiny poops, she is calmer and a big one is on the dry food after her main meal around 5pm she could then drink as much as 2 pints of water in evening sometimes more and that meant she wants out during night for a pee, I'd actually say closer to 3 pints of water just in evening but daytime when she didn't have food she ignored the water bowl.

She was on Asda chicken flavour kibble.

Before the advice seemed to be just look for best food within budget but I don't know what is best for her, dry food or tinned, or raw.

You've had lots of suggestions for diets before, none of which seemed to resolve all her issues. If you've tried the 'good foods' and raw feeding to no avail, you need simply to look at the dog you have and feed her what seems to work best for her.

Well the raw diet I gave her before was just cooked chicken mince I got from local butcher, it's finding the balance that is difficult i.e her drinking a lot in evening is a bit of a pain as she may go from not wanting out much if at all during daytime to wanting out often in evening.

If you think she's drinking excessively you should see a vet as there are medical conditions that can cause this.

Have you actually used Raw food on her or home cooked meat. Once the raw product has been cooked it's benefits and various protiens are altered and can be destroyed.
Tinned products have about 80% moisture content.A
Actual Raw meat (NOT cooked) is also naturally high in moisture too.
I do believe that home made diets with gently/blanched cooked meat is better than kibble.

Have you ever tried putting an amount of dry kibble in a bowl and then add as much (measured) water to this that is required to completely "soak" the dry kibble, you may be surprised just how much water is required. This may explain why kibble fed dogs have to drink so much water !
All dry food and not enough water to drink could be harmful to the kidneys.
Have you visited a vet as @JudyN has suggested.
I am not saying that our vets are experts in our dog diets (they are not) but they can perform tests to check that the kidneys are functioning correctly and in good condition.

You can buy natures menu raw that is a complete food ...its not expensive and is very good ...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back