The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Best Coursing Dog Sire

maggiemay2

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi folkes

im interested to know who you think the best coursing dog was/is. If you were trying to breed a good strong dog, that wasnt too tall, who would you use?

I have my own ideas as to who to use on Lola (winterfell tinkerbelle) who is just short of 20" and 27/28lb but i would love to know your opinions as to which sire you think would suit her best.

Im currently thinking of a racing champ in particular who is only bout 23lb or there is another weighing in at around 26lb.

Answers on a postcard please............ or post your suggestions on here :D

I would personally put her to a racer, though not necessarily a champ as IMO not all champs are good enough to be used ....ie weak feet, poor bone etc ..... .....Are you looking for anything particular in the pedigree? ....or just a complete out cross ?? ....It's best just to look around and see who you like, I loved Obi from the first time I met him .....Hes very well constructed, beautiful feet, great bone etc .... I got laughed at for using him as he was a slower racer (though very well bred), but he's passed on the feet, bone etc .... and was the start of my line ....I've never regretted not listening to the so called experts ... ;) :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Image1-2-1.jpg

this is lola (Winterfell Tinkerbelle) Photo courtesy of Mark Roberts :thumbsup:

Strike Whippets said:
I would personally put her to a racer, though not necessarily a champ as IMO not all champs are good enough to be used ....ie weak feet, poor bone etc .....  .....Are you looking for anything particular in the pedigree? ....or just a complete out cross ?? ....It's best just to look around and see who you like, I loved Obi from the first time I met him .....Hes very well constructed, beautiful feet, great bone etc .... I got laughed at for using him as he was a slower racer (though very well bred), but he's passed on the feet, bone etc .... and was the start of my line ....I've never regretted not listening to the so called experts ...  ;)   :luck:

thanks Hannah, I am looking really for a good looking, well put together dog that isnt too big. Lola is best at coursing but i do enjoy going to racing too so ideally i'd like to get that bit of speed in there hopefully to improve upon her speed.

Overall I guess im looking for a dog that is a good allrounder but is competitive in the coursing and racing field especially. If such a dog exists of course!

i love my dogs first and foremost so a good strong dog to compliment Lola nice would be ideal.

Lovely photo Sarah :thumbsup:

I can't think of any dog off the top of my head that excels at both as racing/lure coursing.

my advice would be find a dog you like (looks type ect) do a bit of research as to how siblings have run ect then pick the one you think suits your needs.

if you'd asked just for a ex live coursing sire that would probably suit her i'd of said "Whats behind the Masque" he's thrown some very good lure coursing/working pups in the past and as you know he's Sprys dad.

had you asked for a racing sire? well theres so many to choose from it's hard to narrow it down for you.

but the 1 bit of advice i'd give is with her being a big bitch you need to look for a dog from smaller lines rather than a dog from large breeding.

hope this helps in some way.

For `live` coursing you need stamina and a coursing brain /mentality . As Mark has said What`s Behind the masque is a proven sire of coursing whippets.

But - for guts and sheer determination I`d look at Darren Young`s dog Supa Blue who is a direct son of Sooty Sam or a similarily bred dog. Tony and Bert Dent have some excellent coursing whippets too, but I`m not sure whether they keep a stud dog, the Lynperry dogs are also great workers and have excelled in the coursing field

:huggles: Lovely bitch Sarah, I am really partial to blue/white parti colours. I don't know much about breeding, but I have attempted to lure course my nippy little racer. It was disastrous as he was too fast. On sharp turns he just overshot the bends, did forward rolls, lost the lure and so on. Put him on a racing track and he is great. My slow bred who has some old coursing lines in him is much better at lure coursing and was quite good actually. The speed aspect can be detremental to a degree, so I would not just consider very fast dogs, perhaps look at some that appeal that excel on bends at racing and have some stamina for distance. These are often not the same dogs who do well on the straights as has been discussed on here recently. I also think that if you see dogs regularly who are consistent and have a lovely temprement, don't disregard them if they don't win every-thing going. Personality is the most important thing I think. :thumbsup: Good luck, can't wait to see you little puppies, as they will be whippets, they will be fabulous regardless ;)

What you need is the annual results books from Maj Tony Loch. This list all the top sires of all the winning whippets for that year - then if your a sad case like me and can go back to the results of the 1962 Season (and all those until coursing stopped)you can eliminate all those who say they have a top sire but don't appear in the records. :- "

Maybe - What's Behind the mask? was a good dog but didn't make it into the Coursing Hall of Fame. However, most of the Hall of Fame Stud dogs are now running in the happy Coursing field in the Sky so are not availabe for Stud duties.

How about Cupid's Arrow. :lol:

Depends on the size you are looking for.

Rob Rixon said:
What you need is the annual results books from Maj Tony Loch.  This list all the top sires of all the winning whippets for that year - then if your a sad case like me and can go back to the results of the 1962 Season (and all those until coursing stopped)you can eliminate all those who say they have a top sire but don't appear in the records. :- "
Maybe - What's Behind the mask? was a good dog but didn't make it into the Coursing Hall of Fame.  However, most of the Hall of Fame Stud dogs are now running in the happy Coursing field in the Sky so are not availabe for Stud duties.

How about Cupid's Arrow. :lol:

Depends on the size you are looking for.

WBTM?'s career was cut short by a broken leg. If it hadn't been for that he undoubtedly had the potential to achieve even more than he did :thumbsup:

thanks everyone for really good suggestions and advice.

Of course, the 'Dents' do have some very good dogs, maybe worth putting the feelers out as to if they have a stud dog.

Anyone know what height/weight Whats Behind The Mask is?

Thanks for your compliments Joanna, temperment is very important and my girls mean everything to me. I'd love a 'little' one to join our pack. :D

Obviously health and temperament should come first but in terms of breeding for ability I would say that its always a good bet to use a dog that has produced good stock before in your chosen field (lure coursing, I am guessing) or who is good at himself if he hasn't been used before. After that pick the one who most compliments your bitch's qualities.

Presuming you want to lure course your puppy you're making a good start by asking in the right place as this where the experts are who will know who the good producers are and will be able to give you good advice :thumbsup:

The only thing to watch is that IF you do use a racer is that the line actually contains dogs who do have stamina :D ...... Theres nothing worse than going to a lure coursing meeting and seeing a fit racing bred blow up after 200 yards ....There are lines/dogs out there that are just really sprinters .... I think the best all round racer I've seen is WCRCh VC Guys Gwithian who won on the lure coursing field as a youngster ...he has also won and been placed in the ring and well his titles say it all :D .....Plus hes 10 and is still fit and healthy :thumbsup: .....I'm VERY pleased with the litter my Connies had with him, they are all very mad, keen, fab feet, bone and they are just always on the go :wacko: ....Heres Jacks 5 gen pedigree

Sunset in Gwithian Sandspring

I also think VC Texas Tea is a great dog who is often over looked

Parkstone Black Gold

and if you look neither dog is fully racing bred ;) .. :luck:

Strike Whippets said:
The only thing to watch is that IF you do use a racer is that the line actually contains dogs who do have stamina  :D   ...... Theres nothing worse than going to a lure coursing meeting and seeing a fit racing bred blow up after 200 yards ....There are lines/dogs out there that are just really sprinters .... I think the best all round racer I've seen is WCRCh VC Guys Gwithian who won on the lure coursing field as a youngster ...he has also won and been placed in the ring and well his titles say it all  :D   .....Plus hes 10 and is still fit and healthy  :thumbsup:   .....I'm VERY pleased with the litter my Connies had with him, they are all very mad, keen, fab feet, bone and they are just always on the go  :wacko: ....Heres Jacks 5 gen pedigree

Sunset in Gwithian Sandspring

I also think VC Texas Tea is a great dog who is often over looked

Parkstone Black Gold

and if you look neither dog is fully racing bred  ;)   ..  :luck:

cheers Hannah.. :thumbsup:

has anyone got any pictures of Sunset in Gwithian Sandspring?

I only have a newspaper cutting of him and my scanner doesn't work ....Others may have a photo, but I'll email Kim and ask her to send a photo :thumbsup:

I would be looking at the club records top bitch top dog etc and if you need Sarah tollers tel no give me a call, the proof is in the pudding as they say

firstly decide what you want to breed for ie: racing/lure coursing then choose the sire from that choosen sport.

edited to add ~ if you choose a GENUINE coursing bred dog then you should be ok regarding the hieghts as all dogs and bitchs had to be under 20" for live coursing.

anyone know if Just Dandy is still around and siring pups?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back