The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Best time to spay a dog?

Maggie Mul

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Our Puppy is only 4 months, but when should she be spayed? I have read some advice saying after she has had her first season and been in heat and other articles say around 6 months whether they have been in season or not. Any female pup owners have any advice?

Really you're waiting for joints to fuse, so when the dog has finished maturing. Large breeds tend to be "done growing" at 18 months and smaller dogs between 12 months and 18 months I think.

When you desex, you interfere with hormones that are responsible for growth, both physical and mental. I personally prefer to wait until my dogs are matured before desexing.

After she has had her first - second season but i know vets that will spay animals even before there first season. but we spayed our cockapoo at about 1 year old just for convenience.

Just be aware that the longer you leave it, the greater the risk from pyometra.

Just be aware that the longer you leave it, the greater the risk from pyometra.
Why would it be necessary to bring up the fact of pyometra? Pyometra is an infection caused by the hormonal change during a season...

Pyometra is an infection of the uterus. Spaying removes that risk. The changes in the uterus that occur during each season make infection more likely with age. That is why spaying early is advisable. Where exactly did you train and qualify @Violet Turner ?

Why would it be necessary to bring up the fact of pyometra? Pyometra is an infection caused by the hormonal change during a season...

Because the more seasons the dog has, the greater the chance of pyometra. When weighing up the risks and advantages of when to neuter, why would this not be relevant?

Because the more seasons the dog has, the greater the chance of pyometra. When weighing up the risks and advantages of when to neuter, why would this not be relevant?
i just think your saying to @Maggie Mul okay she needs to be spayed now or ASAP! but its far too early yet and i believe pyometra is nothing to worry about until there first season.

I don't think JoanneF is saying that at all. At what age would you spay a dog, @JoanneF? Would it depend on the breed of dog?

I don't think JoanneF is saying that at all. At what age would you spay a dog, @JoanneF? Would it depend on the breed of dog?
I wouldn't like to advise on age and breed, I don't have the veterinary experience but @Violet Turner the age most certainly matters because as each season passes, the greater the risk becomes. Again, where did you train and qualify?

i will not disclose that information.
what i will say is where did your dog come from? a breeder that's got females not spayed do they have diseases? do you get my point?
That is ridiculous. By that rationale there would be no puppies ever. And I am just astonished that someone with your background is seemingly unaware of why the pyometra risk increases with age.

That is ridiculous. By that rationale there would be no puppies ever. And I am just astonished that someone with your background is seemingly unaware of why the pyometra risk increases with age.
I have enough background experience to know that Pyometra increases with age but the way you worded it, it sounded like you wanted her to be spayed now. and i did turn it around because i feel the need to as the breeder has females not spayed.

Then you misunderstood me. I said that the risk increases with age. Which is (a) true and (b) not the same as saying "spay her now".
yes i know its true but not every dog gets it. i have only ever seen one case of it in my whole career

Well I suppose the length of your career is relevant to that. Frankly if I wasn't intending to breed, given that a closed py is very hard to spot and can be lethal, it isn't a chance I would take.

@JudyN i don't see how the breed of dog would change anything? or what age.

Because it's generally thought, I believe, that you shouldn't spay or castrate a dog until it's fully grown and mentally mature. This will mean that a deerhound or great dane, for example, should not be spayed as early as a small dog. Deerhounds are still more or less puppies at two years of age.

Because it's generally thought, I believe, that you shouldn't spay or castrate a dog until it's fully grown and mentally mature. This will mean that a deerhound or great dane, for example, should not be spayed as early as a small dog. Deerhounds are still more or less puppies at two years of age.
yes, i would also say that some people use the rule after there 1st cycle witch i agree with most of the time, but not with larger dogs. @JoanneF i do agree that it forms over time but you do have to understand were I'm coming from.

I'm glad i read this thread. What about male dogs? The vet suggested that Frankie gets the snip at 6 months old. Thank you

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back