The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Black Leather Martingales

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Tracy, I just want to let you know that the kangaroo hide industry is very strictly monitored as far as I understand. They are still a protected species here in Victoria, so even if you see one dead on the side of the road you aren't allowed to skin it, not that I would. They come mainly from Queensland & Western Australia & every hide has a number that can be traced, so the tanneries have to be able to account for where every hide comes from. They cant just be getting some on 'the sly' & selling them. It's actually quite frustrating because I've had alot of trouble getting good hides due to the drought in Northern Australia.

The other thing I should mention is that kangaroos are shot in the wild by professional shooters. They're alive one second & dead the next, not like cattle & sheep that are trucked to an abbattior & have to smell the death all around them while they wait their turn.

Your work mates will be horrified to know you can buy the meat in our supermarkets! But yes, they are beautiful animals & I love seeing them in my paddocks in the mornings. Lambs & calves are beautiful too, & cute little fluffy bunnies, are your workmates vegans? Do they only wear cotton & or synthetic clothes & vinyl shoes? I figure if 'roos are going to be killed then at least do something beautiful & useful with their remains.

Dont let them make you feel bad.

Linda

Millie said:
TC said:
dessie said:
I am TRYING my hardest NOT to look, I have the blacksmith coming round tomorrow to finally measure up for the divider in my kitchen which is going to cost a small fortune so pretty broke at the moment ................ but I might just have a LITTLE peek!!!!
Caroline,

I know that I should be focused on collars at the mo, but I am very interested to know what a blacksmith will be doing to your kitchen :- " (w00t) :wacko:

Tracy

Do you really want to know that, Tracey !!!!! :- " (w00t) :lol: (w00t)

Just for your cheek Mrs Hills I might not let you come to the unveiling!!!

Tracey, for your info, my kitchen is a big L shaped room and the dogs' quarters are down one end. To keep the little darlings away from my new kitchen units I pondered long and hard as to how to keep them where they should be. We had seen a wonderful folding metal screen in Belgium and I could not find anything similar over here despite us all surfing the net. I didn't want kennel panels because I thought it would make it look like a zoo and a colleague at work suggested I tried a blacksmith! So I found one and he is making me an individually tailored panel divider with a gate in it. Can't wait because the dogs are driving me mad as I only have puppy panels across the gap at the moment, 3 just hop in and out at will (well, they hop in and then try telling me they just CANNOT jump back) and Django has discovered that if you put your paws on the top you can just PUSH it out of the way, thereby letting everyone through!!!

I had visions of a wrought iron trellis partition with a whippet skilfully crafted into the wrought iron design. :lol:

Some fab collars on that German website. Quite liked the Robin Hood one, but imagine all that coinage jangling :unsure:

dessie said:
Millie said:
TC said:
dessie said:
I am TRYING my hardest NOT to look, I have the blacksmith coming round tomorrow to finally measure up for the divider in my kitchen which is going to cost a small fortune so pretty broke at the moment ................ but I might just have a LITTLE peek!!!!
Caroline,

I know that I should be focused on collars at the mo, but I am very interested to know what a blacksmith will be doing to your kitchen :- " (w00t) :wacko:

Tracy

Do you really want to know that, Tracey !!!!! :- " (w00t) :lol: (w00t)

Just for your cheek Mrs Hills I might not let you come to the unveiling!!!

Tracey, for your info, my kitchen is a big L shaped room and the dogs' quarters are down one end. To keep the little darlings away from my new kitchen units I pondered long and hard as to how to keep them where they should be. We had seen a wonderful folding metal screen in Belgium and I could not find anything similar over here despite us all surfing the net. I didn't want kennel panels because I thought it would make it look like a zoo and a colleague at work suggested I tried a blacksmith! So I found one and he is making me an individually tailored panel divider with a gate in it. Can't wait because the dogs are driving me mad as I only have puppy panels across the gap at the moment, 3 just hop in and out at will (well, they hop in and then try telling me they just CANNOT jump back) and Django has discovered that if you put your paws on the top you can just PUSH it out of the way, thereby letting everyone through!!!

God you've put my mind at rest, you can't begin to imagine what I thought was going on in there (w00t) :- " :b :wacko:

It sounds lovely, and I am sure that it'll be more effective than the puppy panels like you say :thumbsup:

kirislin said:
Hi Tracy, I just want to let you know that the kangaroo hide industry is very strictly monitored as far as I understand.  They are still a protected species here in Victoria, so even if you see one dead on the side of the road you aren't allowed to skin it, not that I would.  They come mainly from Queensland & Western Australia & every hide has a number that can be traced, so the tanneries  have to be able to account for where every hide comes from.    They cant just be getting some on 'the sly' & selling them.  It's actually quite frustrating because I've had alot of trouble getting good hides due to the drought in Northern Australia.  The other thing I should mention is that kangaroos are shot in the wild by professional shooters.  They're alive one second & dead the next, not like cattle & sheep that are trucked to an abbattior & have to smell the death all around them while they wait their turn.

Your work mates will be horrified to know you can buy the meat in our supermarkets!  But yes, they are beautiful animals & I love seeing them in my paddocks in the mornings.  Lambs & calves are beautiful too, & cute little fluffy bunnies, are your workmates vegans? Do they only wear cotton & or synthetic clothes & vinyl shoes?  I figure if 'roos are going to be killed then at  least do something beautiful & useful with their remains.

Dont let them make you feel bad.

Linda

Linda,

I have assured them all, and everyone is a bit calmer now (w00t)

I have to admit, I don't feel bad as I had already sent my order to you off before reading this reply :- "

Thanks for all your help

Tracy

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back