The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Black lump on my dogs tail

Christine Harris

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi I've just noticed a black lump on my dogs tail, has anyone else had this with there dogs ,if so do u have any advice
I'm taking her the vets tomorrow but just thought I'd ask on here first View attachment 111978640

I can't see a photo.

Screenshot_20191223-004742_Gallery.jpg

Collage 2019-12-28 14_48_21.jpg
Collage 2019-12-28 14_48_21.jpg
Vets where useless said they couldn't say what it is until I booked an appointment and paid £50 which to be honest really annoyed me seen as I had two nurses and a vet stood looking at it and not one of them suggested a thing, I think a change of vets is needed that is not the kind of care I want to be paying for , anyways I looked into the suggestion of stud tail and I've been cleaning it 3 times a day using antiseptic wash and then bandaging it up after each clean with the wash then applying cream the bandage doesn't last long as she bounces around like a bloody kangaroo lol but it is getting loads better its a third of the size it was its causing her no pain at all it seems to be getting loads better it doesnt bother her, she has no problem in me touching it and treating it, I will post a picture now so you can see the difference
Thank you all for your suggestions and concern
Please feel free to reply with any suggestions good or bad as long as my baby is ok that all that matters to me

Last edited:
Vets where useless said they couldn't say what it is until I booked an appointment and paid £50

I'm not surprised - lumps very often can't be diagnosed without close inspection and biopsy. This could be a tumour, or a reaction to something, or... something else. If it were me I'd have the dog to the vet straight away, and pay for a biopsy if that's what the vet recommended. If it is a tumour, then early treatment could be the difference between life and death, and cleaning and putting cream on won't help at all.

What happened on the 26th? It looks like a scab has come off?

thank you for your reply the lump did go down but seems to be appearing again I will take her the vets for a biopsy and will post results when I get them
this is it now 30/12/19
I'm not surprised - lumps very often can't be diagnosed without close inspection and biopsy. This could be a tumour, or a reaction to something, or... something else. If it were me I'd have the dog to the vet straight away, and pay for a biopsy if that's what the vet recommended. If it is a tumour, then early treatment could be the difference between life and death, and cleaning and putting cream on won't help at all.
thank you for replying I will take her vets she doesn't seem like her self at all at first I thought she was just getting fed up with our other dog trying to hump her all time but looking at the lump now I feel sick to my stomach that I've left it these few days
Screenshot_20191230-121737_Gallery.jpg

Do please let us know how she gets on.

took her the vets and they said if its not gone by early March! come back and they will do I biopsy, worse case sanaro she will lose half of her tail, said she was a healthy young dog with no other issues her heart sounded healthy and general look over could tell she was healthy and fit he said he would of been more concerned if she was an older dog. he gave it a good squeeze at one point I thought he was trying to pull the scab off. I showed him the pictures I'd been taking to keep record of when it first appeared he told me keep an eye on it and there was nothing I needed to do to look after it at home. I went to vets for pets .

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back