The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Blue

Only just seen this A friend has a couple of whippets we bred. One day she got up found Flash looking like that. They took him to the vets who gave him steriods and piriton and told them if it ever happened again to use piriton again. The vet put itdown to a spider bite as he was obssessed by chasing spiders and it was too early in the year to be a wasp or bee sting. William came out in lumps all over him a in february again to early for stings so it too was put down toa spider bite.

Poor Blue :wacko: Didnt know that lilies were harmful to dogs, although I never buy them anyway as they are toxic for cats. Hope he is better soon :luck:

Poor little Blue, you must be so worried. Glad it went ok at the vets and really hope his swelling goes down really soon, must be so uncomfortable for him. Initially I thought from what you said and the pics it could have been a bee or wasp sting - but a spider bite, how horrid for him. Lots of hugs for a speedy recovery xx

Awwww,, he really looks so much better already Sarah :wub: I remember when Jonah looked like that, but that was very definitely a wasp sting! Hope Blue will soon be back to normal :huggles:

Poor Blue, he's looking a bit better now though. We always have piriton in stock for allergic reactions. Tiny's face swelled up due to pollen last year. :( I got bitten by an ordinary house spider (didn't see it and put my hand right on it) and my hand swelled up loads - very painful bite too - I ran round the house shrieking! :b

Big hugs for Blue :wub: :thumbsup:

So glad Blue is recovering! It's a real worry when these things happen.

Can I ask if the piriton people use is the "human" one? Scout is forever leaping at bees at the moment, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before she gets stung - I'd like to be prepared, just in case! She also chases spiders when they shoot across the kitchen floor - little monkey (w00t)

Thanks!

Terry.

thanks everyone for kind comments :thumbsup: just took this pic of him now.....
blue025.jpg

he is looking better isnt he? i think it was to do with the lillies i had...they pose dangers to dogs,didnt know that until today so needless to say wont be buying them again..

Poor boy, he's not the only one though, I have allergic reaction to lillies (and tulips) and so did my mother. :wacko: They must be pretty potent. Hope he's much better soon. :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope Blue is feeling so much better today :huggles:

Blue is all better..swelling gone and he looks like a whippet now! Just one question,shall I keep giving him the piriton til sunday or not?

blue002.jpg

blue008-1.jpg

So please he back to normal :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can I ask if the piriton people use is the "human" one? Scout is forever leaping at bees at the moment, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before she gets stung - I'd like to be prepared, just in case! She also chases spiders when they shoot across the kitchen floor - little monkey (w00t)
Thanks!

Terry.
Yes, the human one, we use children's dosages for Tiny. :thumbsup:

Blue is all better..swelling gone and he looks like a whippet now! Just one question,shall I keep giving him the piriton til sunday or not?
Once the swelling is gone I would not be giving him any more. :thumbsup:

Lilies are toxic to dogs, mainly the root (I believe), but I doubt if pollen floating in the air could cause such a localised swelling. Such a big lump aroung the mouth is usually caused by someting the dog caught and got stung by. It is important to administer antihistamine ASAP to make sure the swelling does not obstruct the airways.

Thanks!

Terry.
Yes, the human one, we use children's dosages for Tiny. :thumbsup:
I now have the childrens syrup and administer the dose for a 12 year old with a (Metacalm) syringe. Easier to use especially if the dog is semi-concious or having difficuilty swallowing. Being a liquid, it absorbs quicker in the body which is a plus.

Between the dogs and myself, I have a whole kitchen cabinet full of medication etc :wacko:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back