The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bones And Hide treats for dogs

Tea_juice

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I've checked the FAQ section and done a search too, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Yesterday I bought enough bones to last DeeDee a month from the butcher. Obviously they've had to go into the freezer, and I was wondering, is it safe to give her frozen bones?? Or would it need to be thoroughly defrosted first? I'm not sure if freezing it would cause it splinter or something?

Secondly, DeeDee loves pigs ears/hide strips and they're really useful for keeping her quiet for an hour :- " but I was wondering how many is a safe amount to have in a day? She usually only has 1 a day as I thought I'd heard somewhere that it can give them the runs?

Oh, and also, she's not really eating much of her lunch time meal this week. She scoffs her breakfast and dinner, but just nibbles her lunch. Does this mean I should cut down to 2 a day, or still just give her the option to eat it if she wants?

Perhaps the mid-morning ear and/or bone is filling her enough that she doesnt need lunch?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

hi again,

mine have two meals a day,and a pigs ear as a treat,whippets i find are very greedy,and if not watched would become overweight too easily.

does dee dee eat her pigs ear all at once or over the day,because one of them would be a meal for her.

i once gave mine a raw bone and they where constipated,so i keep away from them now,thought they was too much for there systems.

Hi Trish :)

She'll eat most of it, taking about an hour, then play and nibble at it throughout the day.

Bones, she just gnaws any meat off and has a nibble through out the day - think her teeth and little jaws are still too small to crunch the bone yet.

yes she is too young to get any bone off it.

the gnawing is good for there teeth,and is natural for them to eat ,but mine was very constipated with i think ox tail piece each.

so i thought the straining was not very good for them,i would be interested to see what others advise is too. mine do eat chicken wings and they are fine with them,as dee dee tried them yet.

how is dee dee doing ,bet she is growing rapidly ,she is a sweety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had a constipation problem with bones- think that they are great for them in all ways, maybe try a different type of bone?

I don't think giving frozen bones would be a problem- I think it would just slow down the rate she can eat the meat off, and maybe make the whole process less messy.

Gosh you're lucky, If a pigs ear lasts more than 15 minutes with monty its a miracle!Obviously at 7 months he's much older than deedee but even when he was younger they were quickly dispatched (w00t)

He also gets through quite a few hide chews and i asked the vet nurse if this was ok and she said that it was as they don't have a great calorific value, but the chewing is good for them.

trish and graham said:
hi again,mine have two meals a day,and a pigs ear as a treat,whippets i find are very greedy,and if not watched would become overweight too easily.

does dee dee eat her pigs ear all at once or over the day,because one of them would be a meal for her.

i once gave mine a raw bone and they where constipated,so i keep away from them now,thought they was too much for there systems.

Have to agree here - Kobi would pig-out all day if I let him - he puts weight on so easily (w00t) and yes my pigs ears only last about 15 mins (if lucky)

Mine have the raw hide chews but supervised only - when they tear strips off them they can easily slide down the throat making them choke. :eek:

I often put a small amount of pate smeared inside a hollow bone - this keeps them occupied for ages.

Janimal said:
trish and graham said:
hi again,mine have two meals a day,and a pigs ear as a treat,whippets i find are very greedy,and if not watched would become overweight too easily.

Have to agree here - Kobi would pig-out all day if I let him - he puts weight on so easily (w00t) and yes my pigs ears only last about 15 mins (if lucky)

Mine have the raw hide chews but supervised only - when they tear strips off them they can easily slide down the throat making them choke. :eek:

I often put a small amount of pate smeared inside a hollow bone - this keeps them occupied for ages.

i have one tubby and one skinny ,they both eat the same,and from the same parents, so dont understand why millie puts so much weight on, we keep having to cut down with her and she hates it. bless her.

good tip on the pate,must give it a go.

Im pleased there are other people with tubby whippets :lol: I feel like a bad parent .... :blink:

Kobi is smaller in height too and Oscar taller - he is hard to keep weight on so now I give Kobi smaller portions and Oscar more - but Kobi constantly looks for snacks and left over cat food too, he is just a little piggy :- "

Thanks for all your replies so far :)

Trish - I got your email - thank you - I have some new pics for you and Debs which I'll hopefully get round to sending this weekend.

Not sure if it'll change with age, but DeeDee isnt very greedy yet. She'll only eat a certain amount at meal times, if you try and give her more she ignores it - her favourite is minced beef mixed with kibble, which she'll gulp down in 30 seconds flat BUT if you try and give her more once she's had her bowlful, she'll even ignore that! Strange little thing :wub:

Same with the pigs ears or hide, she'll eat most of it, taking her time, but then just plays with it like a toy until it's all soggy then it gets abandoned. (Usually down the back of the sofa :rolleyes:

Excellent idea about the pate/paste Janis, she does love that Puppy Kong squirty stuff, but I dont let her have that too often as I'm not sure about all the "chemicals" it might have in it!

So frozen bones should be ok? Anyone else got any thoughts on frozen bones?

Janimal said:
Im pleased there are other people with tubby whippets  :lol:   I feel like a bad parent .... :blink:
Kobi is smaller in height too and Oscar taller - he is hard to keep weight on so now I give Kobi smaller portions and Oscar more - but Kobi constantly looks for snacks and left over cat food too, he is just a little piggy  :- "

my tubby is the short one too,she seems to scan the horizon when walking,only breaking a sweat if anything is seen, and skinny as to run everywhere,never walks.

Tea_juice said:
Thanks for all your replies so far :) Trish - I got your email - thank you - I have some new pics for you and Debs which I'll hopefully get round to sending this weekend.

Not sure if it'll change with age, but DeeDee isnt very greedy yet. She'll only eat a certain amount at meal times, if you try and give her more she ignores it - her favourite is minced beef mixed with kibble, which she'll gulp down in 30 seconds flat BUT if you try and give her more once she's had her bowlful, she'll even ignore that! Strange little thing  :wub:

Same with the pigs ears or hide, she'll eat most of it, taking her time, but then just plays with it like a toy until it's all soggy then it gets abandoned. (Usually down the back of the sofa  :rolleyes:

Excellent idea about the pate/paste Janis, she does love that Puppy Kong squirty stuff, but I dont let her have that too often as I'm not sure about all the "chemicals" it might have in it!

look forward to the pics,im still having trouble getting up to date pics on here,i have a new camera which is 5 mp and just cannot get them small enough,the pics i have put on are from last year and my old camera was used,i will keep trying.

trish and graham said:
Tea_juice said:
Thanks for all your replies so far :) Trish - I got your email - thank you - I have some new pics for you and Debs which I'll hopefully get round to sending this weekend.

Not sure if it'll change with age, but DeeDee isnt very greedy yet. She'll only eat a certain amount at meal times, if you try and give her more she ignores it - her favourite is minced beef mixed with kibble, which she'll gulp down in 30 seconds flat BUT if you try and give her more once she's had her bowlful, she'll even ignore that! Strange little thing  :wub:

Same with the pigs ears or hide, she'll eat most of it, taking her time, but then just plays with it like a toy until it's all soggy then it gets abandoned. (Usually down the back of the sofa  :rolleyes:

look forward to the pics,im still having trouble getting up to date pics on here,i have a new camera which is 5 mp and just cannot get them small enough,the pics i have put on are from last year and my old camera was used,i will keep trying.

go to kirkgate market and get them some lamb/beef rib mine have them every week and no consitpation whenever you introduce something new your gonna get either squits or consitpation it will settle :thumbsup:

masta said:
trish and graham said:
Tea_juice said:

go to kirkgate market and get them some lamb/beef rib mine have them every week and no consitpation whenever you introduce something new your gonna get either squits or consitpation it will settle :thumbsup:

kirgate market,not been down that neck of the woods for ages,use to work there when i first left school,a long time ago now.

never seem to have a lot of time so im affraid i shop at morrisons,not the best i know.

A friend of mine told me not to give hide products to our dogs as she found out from vet that they swell in dogs tummy TWISTING THE GUT :( and can cause many ailements.

I must say her dog is pic of health and doesnt even have doggy breath!

A pigs ear a day seems quite a lot for a little pup, almost a meal in itself. Maybe that's why she's not eating her proper meals so well, because she's being filled up with snacks. Im sure others will disagree though!

I personally only give a pigs ear once a week (twice if they're extremely lucky!). Chloe eats it in under 2 mins, Frankie about 5 and little Holly has yet to have been allowed one!

Tea_juice said:
I did a lot of research before I put my dogs on a raw food diet and I found a couple of sites where the people fed their dogs bones straight from the freezer during the summer. They said it was a good way for the dogs to cool down. I have given mine a couple of partly thawed chicken wings and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm at all.

I use to give mine half a pig's ear a day when they were small pups, as I found one was too much on a daily basis, and could sometimes upset them. They made short work of it though..probably gave me 10 minutes respite at the most :p

Raw hide chews were supervised. If a largish chunk was chewed off, I fished it out of their mouths and threw it away. It kept them nicely occupied, but I don't think they are good to swallow in large pieces. They're quite hard to digest I think.

I often give my girls their knuckle bones frozen. Check them out yesterday http://groups.msn.com/whippetworld/general...567418462748482

They prefer them unfrozen first as they smell better, but if I don't remember to take them out the night before I just toss them out there frozen and they work it out.

Today Savvy was so desperate to get to them she went out in the middle of a hailstorm to try and drag one back in the house!!

For the bones I feed I prefer them to be thawed, but if they're slightly frozen that's ok. There seems to be different schools of thought on this - one is that it's completely ok, and the other is that if food that cold hits the stomach it's bad for them. I at least partially thaw bones that I feed. Our fridge keeps them quite cold so they're usually still 1/2 frozen when I give them.

Wendy

I also think that one pigs ear a day is too much. Once/twice a week as a treat is what I give mine.

I also give them kongs or hollow bones filled with various stuff, their favourite being Philadelphia (sp - the soft cheese stuff). They have the light variety because thats my fave too :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back