The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Book 'narrow Dog To Carcassonne'

~Sarah~

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My OH and I are 'into' narrowboating and watched a series of programmes a while ago called Water World. A couple were featured with their Whippet, Jim, travelling across the English Channel to France in their narrowboat (pretty scary as narrowboats are not really what you would called seaworthy). They continued on the French Canals right down to Carcassonne in the South of France and even ventured out into the Med!!! (w00t)

Yesterday we went to a Working Boat Rally at Braunston and they were there with Jim, selling their book called 'Narrow Dog to Carcassonne'. The book has a good review in The Whippet Magazine which arrived yesterday.

It was really good to meet Jim, :wub: :wub: a lovely laid back fawn, and to have them sign the book, so felt very chuffed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My hubby's been following Jims adventures too, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him on that narrowboat! He seems such a calm dog- I must get a copy of the book now.

Thanks Sarah. I've just made an on-line reservation at my local library. :rolleyes:

Oh wow...must look out for that one too. Did you get a photo of Jim?

Nicola said:
Oh wow...must look out for that one too. Did you get a photo of Jim?
Yes, we did take a photo of Jim. He is really lovely :wub: :wub: - reminds me a bit of Joanna's Archie. :wub: :wub: I suppose I should check that it is OK to post a pic of him - I'm sure it will be.

I have started to read the book and I am really enjoying it. Terry Darlington is the author's name - I like his style of writing and he is very amusing. One excerpt about Jim:-

"As we jogged Jim did fast interval work, then long slow distance, drifting an inch above the ground. He drifted straight, not sideways like a wolf. If we met another dog he always raced them and he always won. When he met an obstacle he would take to the air, pausing in mid-flight like a dancer." Lovely description of a whippet. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Me and OH used to watch the TV programme `WATER WORLD` with Jim on , every Thursday , he really looked quite laid back about it /

Phil would love to live on a narrow boat . I said Id visit when I could (w00t) :oops: :thumbsup: . Not my idea of home or even a holiday , each to there own I say . I love my garden too much to live on a boat . Id miss Phil ( a bit :eek: ) :lol:

Here are a couple of pics of Jim :wub: :wub: - they said it was OK to put them on here. This one is taken from their web site www.narrowdog.com. Not sure if it will come out OK. I notice he is doing the 'ear' thing - one up, one down!

Jim_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one OH took of Jim. It was quite late in the afternoon, so I expect he had had enough of all the media interest in 'his' book!!! He does look a very laid back chap. :wub: :wub: He had hurtled past us on the towpath earlier in the day in typical whippet fashion!! :lol: :lol:

Jim_02.jpg

Hi

I didn't see Water World but when I was walking William and Owen a man stopped me and asked if the little one was a whippet like the one on the boat.I said I hadn't seen the program but it was a whippet.

Now I know what the dog he was on about looks like He's lovely

Helen

Water World was a great programme and made boating look like a lovely life.

I only saw the programme once and I never realised the narrow boat went over to France I have just started to read the book after my OH purchased it off www.amazon.com half price £7.99 If you spend £19 you will not need to pay any postage so get together with a few mates Happy reading

Maz :)

What a lovely thread.....He is like Archie Sarah :D

I havnt seen Water World but it sounds really good, especially if theres a Whippet in it ;) Great pictures - hes a lovely dog - what a life eh??

Just finished it - terrific read and very amusing, especially the whippety bits. I'd always rather fancied narrow-boating but this has really turned me off the idea. And what's all that about pumping out? Just where does "it" go?

I raced through it first time, so I'll read it again now and appreciate all the literary references this time!

(By the way, Cornwall libraries have lent all their 5 copies of the book and there are 4 reservations for it as well. How many Kernow K9ers are reading it/about to read it?

:rolleyes:

SallyC said:
Just finished it - terrific read and very amusing, especially the whippety bits.  I'd always rather fancied narrow-boating but this has really turned me off the idea.  And what's all that about pumping out?  Just where does "it" go?

Pumping out isn't as bad as it sounds. :x :x The 'waste' goes into a holding tank in the boat (doesn't make the boat smell!!) and then you stop at pump out places situated along the canal and pay them £8 - £12 to empty the 'holding tank' for you through a hose but it doesn't go into the canal fortunately!!! (w00t) (w00t) )

It depends on how many of you are on board, but for 2 of us we would need to pump out about every 3 weeks. Some people don't have holding tanks and use the same loos as in a caravan.

~Sarah~ said:

you stop at pump out places situated along the canal and pay them £8 - £12 to empty the 'holding tank' for you through a hose but it doesn't go into the canal fortunately!!!

Quote from page 21: "But in France everything has to go into the cut. So we had bought our own pump-out kit..." and later on "I pulled on the handle and the pump primed and sent the sewage along the pipe and deep into the cut..."and later still "I jammed the hose in the cut alongside the boat...and pumped fresh water through the system and washed all the kit..."

Sounds like "it" goes into the canals in France! :oops: Pooeee!

Last edited by a moderator:
SallyC said:
~Sarah~ said:

you stop at pump out places situated along the canal and pay them £8 - £12 to empty the 'holding tank' for you through a hose but it doesn't go into the canal fortunately!!!

Quote from page 21: "But in France everything has to go into the cut. So we had bought our own pump-out kit..." and later on "I pulled on the handle and the pump primed and sent the sewage along the pipe and deep into the cut..."and later still "I jammed the hose in the cut alongside the boat...and pumped fresh water through the system and washed all the kit..."

Sounds like "it" goes into the canals in France! :oops: Pooeee!

(w00t) (w00t) OMG - Remind me not to fall in the canal if we ever go to France!!! :x :x :x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back