The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bum Problems

digzoils

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Little Meg has to have her anal glands emptied at depressingly regular intervals, 2 to 3 weeks is all she goes before she gets stinky round the back end and starts scraping her bum on the carpet. :x

Her diet consists of wholemeal biscuits (from the pet supplies) James Wellbeloved Crackerjacks, Bakers complete, scrambled egg and wholemeal toast, plus any potato and veg left from our meals.

Her poo is usually quite firm, (it picks up easily and doesn’t stick to the pavement).

The vet has hinted that we might have to consider having the glands removed, this seems a bit radical and we would only consider it as an absolute last option.

Has anyone got any thoughts, ideas, and suggestions?

Paul

Bone's ........to make her poo really hard, which will express her anal glads when shes pushing :b .........if not just empty the anal glads yourself every week which will stop them a) making her smell and b) stop the anal glands compressing and blocking .............I have the same problem with my Border Collie, but after infected/blocked anal glands and a week of anti-biotic's, I do as above ......and touch wood no more problems ........ :thumbsup: :luck: :luck:

Love the title ... :lol:

Try adding bran to the diet - firmness is important in a good poo, but so is bulk :D ... you can get it cheap at health food shops.

Get the vet or nurse tho show you how to do it yourself - this saves repeat trips and means you can sort them as soon as a problem crops up! I would agree that removal is an absolute last resort - the op is fiddly and you risk faecal incontinence if things go wrong.

Strike Whippets said:
Bone's ........to make her poo really hard, which will express her anal glads when shes pushing  :b .........if not just empty the anal glads yourself every week which will stop them a) making her smell and b) stop the anal glands compressing and blocking .............I have the same problem with my Border Collie, but after infected/blocked anal glands and a week of anti-biotic's, I do as above ......and touch wood no more problems ........ :thumbsup:   :luck:   :luck:
Raw bones :D

ooh I hope she gets sorted out, sounds painful :huggles:

can I just ask a graphic question here? ours is 18 weeks, doesn't seem to eat much, usually does 2 poos a day they are only the size of eg; a finger, well I think she's petite , someone mentioned they should be bulky poos, I thought they'd be the diameter of a dogs bowel (!!) how would you know if your dog had a problem with anal glands ?

hope you don't mind me asking, but having a puppy is like having a baby EVERYTHING is discussed in the greatest detail :lol:

poor Meg :huggles: I hope you find a solution soon :luck: :luck:

Try giving Meg bran flakes for breakfast it will help loosen her up we had a similar problem with one of ours, oh don't buy the cheap bran flakes as they get stuck in the roof of their mouth, Kellogs is the best :thumbsup: .

Simon

Just wondered here :unsure: could you use All Bran ?? without any problems

Kobi had a problem a few weeks ago, struggled to pass his poos (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
:unsure: Not such a fan of using breakfast cereals instead because they're full of sugar and additives (yes, even the 'healthy' ones!).

Julie D - you'll know if your dog has anal gland problems - if the smell doesn't leave your eyes watering, the delightfully appropriate moments your pup selects to drag its bottom on your best carpet will give you a clue!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back