The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Button - Dog Chewing Her Own Fur

oakmoorehill

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Button has decided to start chewing at herself. She hasn't made herslf bleed but has nibbled her coat away on her thighs, shoulders and in patches on one side.

She had chewed a small amount on her shoulder just before Crufts but since we lost William on friday she has started doing it badly. She has company of the whippets and Zoe and we are trying to keep her with us as much as possible but its at night she is doing it.

She struggles with the stairs she always has so taking her to bed with us is not really an option. She's not keen on the whippets she grumbles at them so I daren't crate one of them with her. She has to be crated as she chews everything if she's left loose at night. I would put Zoe in with her but they are both cantankerous bitches and I would most likely end up with a fight on my hands.

I sprayed her with anti bite but that didn't work. Short of putting an elizabethan collar on her I don't know what to try next.

Do you have any ideas?

Do you think her skin is itching or is it a nervous or stress thing? When mine itch I wash them with Head and Shoulders shampoo and it cools them right down quickly.

Personally I would go with a buster collar for a few days just to break the cycle... we have to do this with Bryn who has stress related issues and tends to give himself random lick granuloma's when he has a particularly bad time.

Do you think her skin is itching or is it a nervous or stress thing? When mine itch I wash them with Head and Shoulders shampoo and it cools them right down quickly.
I think it is a stress thing. She has always had the odd nibble but nothing more than scratching an itch normally. Since William has gone she seems to do it a lot more. I think she may just be a bit stressed and mourning for her friend. We had her as a companion for William and now he's gone and left her on her own.

I think lots of mind games and exercise and one to one time during the day to take her mind of things and to tire her out, once they start this licking and nibbling its hard to get them out of it...get her checked for parasites though too...fleas mites etc...

I think lots of mind games and exercise and one to one time during the day to take her mind of things and to tire her out, once they start this licking and nibbling its hard to get them out of it...get her checked for parasites though too...fleas mites etc...

Definitely not fleas or mites. She's only been doing it since we lost William on wednesday.

HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF TAKING HER TO SEE A VET?
If you bother reading properly you will find she is actually grieving for her friend who died on wednesday. She is not ill and the chewing started on wednesday when he died.

Don't think your bullying tactics and sarcasm will work with me Wiggy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Definitely not fleas or mites. She's only been doing it since we lost William on wednesday.
When Blue was grieving for Alfie, she was a nightmare, but we went on holiday for a week 6 weeks after he died...and it worked...about half way through the week she began to cheer up...so maybe a holiday??

or at least as much together time with you as possible...

When Blue was grieving for Alfie, she was a nightmare, but we went on holiday for a week 6 weeks after he died...and it worked...about half way through the week she began to cheer up...so maybe a holiday??

or at least as much together time with you as possible...

OH is at home with her all day but I finish work on thursday for easter so will be able to get her out for good long walks with the twins. Greyhound gap are having a meet and greet at pets at home near us on easter monday so I may take her there and let her see her own kind that might cheer her up a bit. If she has a coat on no one will see were she's nibbled herself.

Did Button live with William in a kennel - or have i dreamt that? If that's the case will she not accept any of the others to join her, perhaps one of the older boys? Perhaps take her and chosen new friend out for a good long walk together and when they are back and tired, let them rest together. Ours all love company and aren't too fussed about which friend they have, so long as they have one and that's why they're happy to stay at Rachel's, mine or my parents house.

I don't think there would be particular sense to get her a new friend - just teach her to love the ones that are there already if that makes any sense?

I would put lavender oil onto where she's chewing herself,she won't like the taste & it's soothing,far better than stressing her out with a collar.

Ignatia is excellent for grievng dogs,you can get it from Ainsworths

Did Button live with William in a kennel - or have i dreamt that? If that's the case will she not accept any of the others to join her, perhaps one of the older boys? Perhaps take her and chosen new friend out for a good long walk together and when they are back and tired, let them rest together. Ours all love company and aren't too fussed about which friend they have, so long as they have one and that's why they're happy to stay at Rachel's, mine or my parents house.
I don't think there would be particular sense to get her a new friend - just teach her to love the ones that are there already if that makes any sense?
Yes she did live with William. She doesn't particulary like the whippets. I put her in the garden with the older whippets this morning but had to fetch her in as she was getting a bit stroppy with them I did think of putting Zoe with her but Zoe is a bit cantankerous about sharing and Button can be a madam too so they would probably end up fighting.

The whippets I can swap and change who sleeps with who but the big dogs are not quite so easy

I would put lavender oil onto where she's chewing herself,she won't like the taste & it's soothing,far better than stressing her out with a collar.Ignatia is excellent for grievng dogs,you can get it from Ainsworths

Thanks I'll get some and try it. Do you put the lavender oil on neat or dilute it?

Hi Helen, Ti struggled a bit after Max died. I spent extra time with him on longer walks (because he'd missed lots of walks when Max was poorly and OH was at work because I couldn't leave Max alone in the house). That helped a bit. And we took on the greyhound walks - not sure but I think Greyhound Gap have a similar monthly walk.

I also used his DAP diffuser and was fairly liberal with the DAP spray on his bedding. He also had stuff that smelled of Max that he could snuggle. We also took him on holiday after a couple of months and since he has come back he is a lot better - although he is still a bag of nerves on walks because he's not got Max as back up - but in the house he's very happy and doesn't want another dog.

Don't know if any of that will help, I hope it does though xx :thumbsup:

we had this a bit with minnie when boris died we put a long sleave t shirt on her for a few days and it brock the habit. minnies allways been a liker but she started overdoing it with stress the tshirt just stoped her licking

Wendy's idea of the long sleeved t-shirt sounds good :thumbsup:

....... would getting Button a quiet GH companion be a possibility? :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back