The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Button - Dog Chewing Her Own Fur

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
but not on broken skin!

You can most certainly put lavender oil on broken skin,i use it for cuts on myself & my dogs! It's arnica that mustn't be used on broken skin!!!
I think you're both right ... as I understand it lavender oil (which I swear by) can be used on broken skin if diluted ... that's what I have always done. The aroma from the applied lavender should also help Button to chill a bit :thumbsup:

Wendy's idea of the long sleeved t-shirt sounds good :thumbsup: ....... would getting Button a quiet GH companion be a possibility? :)

Button is a shredder so I doubt a t shirt would stay on for very long as she will rip at anything It mostly her thighs she's chewing at with bits on her shoulders

As for another greyhound at the moment that is a big no. I just could not face another one quite so soon.

At the moment we are having Zoe and Button together as much as possible and with out William there they do seem to be getting on better maybe the grumbling was a bit of jealous rivalry over William. Next week when I off work I am thinking of trying them together during the day whilst I around maybe they'll be ok.

but not on broken skin!

You can most certainly put lavender oil on broken skin,i use it for cuts on myself & my dogs! It's arnica that mustn't be used on broken skin!!!
I think you're both right ... as I understand it lavender oil (which I swear by) can be used on broken skin if diluted ... that's what I have always done. The aroma from the applied lavender should also help Button to chill a bit :thumbsup:
No,you use it neat,which i have done for over 20 years :thumbsup:

but not on broken skin!

i used it neat on rubys legs when she got what can only be described as snow burn, it was like big red bruses up the back of her legs from the snow, very strange,

but i put the lavender oil on it and the next day it was gone you would never know anything had been there :thumbsup:

Poor Button, she's obviously feeling quite stressed without William, it must make it even harder for you :(

Would she be interested in a bone or something like a stuffed kong? Just thinking it might satisfy her need to comfort-chew and distract her a bit.

There are flower essences that are supposed to help with grief/loss - I'm not very knowledgeable about what would be best to try but I'm sure there are other people here who can advise. A DAP diffuser or DAP collar might relax her a bit too.

I hope things improve for her soon :luck:

She has a couple of big marrow bones every week that my friend get for me. It doen't look so sore today so maybe she's getting over it. We are rtying to persuade Ben to have her in his room at night but so far he can't be persuaded in case she chews his Wii and stuff.

a goggy treat ball and put some rock sulpher in her bowl i had an old dog who started this an old guy said as we get prickly heat a dog does and has to itch so i did what he said that was problem over hope this helps

Hi Helen,sorry to hear about Button,hope things improve with her :luck: :thumbsup:

Helen,

I am so sorry to hear about your big boy William xxxxx

The good news is Button has now stopped chewing herself and her hair is growing back on her shoulder so hopefully by the end of the summer she will be back to normal

but not on broken skin!

I use neat Lavender oil too, my sister in law is an aromatherapist...and its safe to use on broken skin, great for bruising and is one of the safest natural essential oils... :thumbsup:

tea tree is one to be careful with though.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back