The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bwra.andy Patterson And Puppy Champs.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i think the bwra need to put a bit more thought into the timing of this event, its the first weekend into straight racing and they are holding there puppy champs, if it was say held in a months time in conjuction with another open, then it maybe better attended, with dogs just coming off the bends and no straight open been had yet and obviously with the petrol situation who is going to travel???

Just because of one event poor turnout calling to scrap pup / yearling racing is crazy there may be lots reasons why location, two big opens on same weekend , big weekend event next weekend people saving there money for that but start say change ever think for one poor turn out just enjoy what we got and take rough with smooth :thumbsup:
Still believe BWRA could cater for the youngsters Lyndon,but in this economic climate,we've got to look at what's viable for the BWRA as a whole.Nothing stopping clubs from putting what they want on at their opens.It's not the first poor turnout at a pups and yearlings championships.The whole reason that the Andy Patterson was put on the same day,was because it would save people money.Would be great if we could financially take the rough with the smooth,but I dont think we can.I think we've got to tighten our belts where ever possible,and look to ways of doing just that.Like I put in my earlier post we could still have one championship for the youngsters a year,vary the age group slightly and all young ones can be catered for at that one championship.Just an idea,but think it could work :thumbsup:

i agree as a organization the bwra cant keep running opens at a loss

would it not be more sensible to hold puppy / yearling champs at one of the weekend events

for example devon or such like where alot of folk will be racing

the weekend events seem well attended so instead of having a puppy / yearling open have the champs instead

i think the bwra need to put a bit more thought into the timing of this event, its the first weekend into straight racing and they are holding there puppy champs, if it was say held in a months time in conjuction with another open, then it maybe better attended, with dogs just coming off the bends and no straight open been had yet and obviously with the petrol situation who is going to travel???

its not the bwra committee who pick when and where opens are put its the members at the agm, the puppy and yearling champs have always been on that date and in oct to accommodate all pup yearling thats why as karen posted we need to look at putting something else on in place of both puppy and yearling champs

imo just scrap the throphys money be better kept in whippet racing not throphy companys banks :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
imo just scrap the throphys money be better kept in whippet racing not throphy companys banks :thumbsup:
In scratch racing you don't win throphys :unsure: Unless u win supreme so it's not for paying out on scratch dogs j.m.o

In scratch racing you don't win throphys :unsure: Unless u win supreme so it's not for paying out on scratch dogs j.m.o
depends wot open u r @. i dont know about bwra but clubs do, i know wallsend have trophies 4 all scratch 36/40/45 and no limit donated by the members. personally i think its nice to win a trophy something to show if u do win. :thumbsup:

Our Duke (Hellsfire)won Andy Patterson last year and recieved a trophy to keep for winning the 45lb class,as did Deneside Beau for winning the 55lb class,would think the same applied to 36lb class too.It's lovely to have something to remember an event by.

I think the reason for the poor turnout was it was held too far south. All puppy & yearling champs should be held nearer the middle of the country i.e north notts , old hall, shirebrook etc. People can not afford to travel so far down the country, its time the Scottish people were taken into consideration.

Wasnt going to answer this as its the same old chestnut every time :rant: . Whenever any event is held further South that Old Hall (which is quoted as the middle of the country or there abouts)YES WORCESTER IS IN THE MIDLANDS

it is always quoted what about the Scottish people

Fordingbridge to Worcester 106 mile approx

Thurrock to Worcester 166.9 mile approx

Hastings to Worcester 202.9 mile approx

All Southern clubs

Dont we Southerns count too?

We are all finding it hard with job losses and money being tight its not a Northern perogative :angry:

However reading the posts on this topic it appears that the puppy/yearling championships are not very well attended wherever they are held, so perhaps as already suggested it is time to look at a new date/format .

i have two yearlings and there is a few reasons i didnt attend.

1. local open on my doorstep on sat

2. distance to worsc (im not always that welll so dont like to travel too far) (approx 203 miles from newcastle)

3. it was a sun if it had been a sat i may have gone simply becoz i wud have had the sun to recover

4. weekend event this weekend so need cash 4 that

these r just my own reasons and like gary says the fuel scare/cost cud have put some off. but i also personally believe there might just not be that many pups/yearlings about. people say dont run them too young then when none turn up @ puppy champs its questioned why??? this is all JMO

same old thing to many opens not enough whippets but yet we will still moan about lack off attendance at an open thats cost a bloody fortune to get there and win hardly owt but yet another year will go on the whippet calander with nowt getting done so why worry just attend the ones you want and can afford , as for puppy and yearlings its always been a day of red jackets running up a track u got to take on the possitive side hordon had a great turn out :thumbsup:

thats my opinion on it :thumbsup:

p.s not takin no light of the winners,runners and workers well done to you all

JMO but maybe the puppy yearling champs could be just one a year and ran on the Monday after the main adult champs ..most people are there ..its never going to have a massive attendance ..also would cut back on 2 dates for the calender and 2 opens that the committee have to attend and run ..

i wonder how many pups will be at shirebrooke on on monday ?

it is always quoted what about the Scottish people

Fordingbridge to Worcester 106 mile approx

Thurrock to Worcester 166.9 mile approx

Hastings to Worcester 202.9 mile approx

All Southern clubs

Dont we Southerns count too?

We are all finding it hard with job losses and money being tight its not a Northern perogative :angry:

Dont want an argument but common sense should dictate where national events are held. Plymouth to Worcester 177mls // Aberdeen to Worcester 448mls.

Old Hall, Shirebrook,North Notts, etc seem much fairer options for the majority of whippet racers

i wonder how many pups will be at shirebrooke on on monday ?
dunno how many but last year i think we had 28 at puppy yearling champs on the Monday..only a couple of solos

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back