The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Bwra Racing

Doreen Hopkins

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Sadly I have to inform all BWRA members that I had a telephone call today from the chairman of Asfordby Sports Club informing me that they would no longer be able to let us use their ground for our championships.

Dave the chairman said that after their meeting on Wednesday it was decided that our event had become too big for them to manage. None of the staff that work there get paid, they are all volunteers and give up their time to stage this event.

We can still stage one day meetings but these would have to be between the middle of May to the middle of August, no race meetings can be held outside these stated months.

I was given to understand that the N.N.W.R.F. have been given the same information so both racing bodies are being treated exactly the same.

What we need now is for club or regional secretaries to write to me if you think that a club in your area could stage our championships,this will include puppy championships if we want to stage them as a week-end event with another rave meeting.

Ideally the venue should be in the middle of the country so that every one has more or less the same distance to travel. Also there would need to be club facilities for the social evening, toilets, showers.

If anyone has any ideas please put them inwriting to me and we can discuss it at this years AGM. This will be held on SUNDAY NOVEMBER 27TH AT OLD HALL.

SORRY IT'S BAD NEWS BUT HOPEFULLY WE CAN COME UP WITH SOMETHING FOR NEXT YEAR.

REGARDS Doreen

ASKERN .... AS FAR AS THE BEND CHAMPS GOES.. THE TRACK TENANT MICK.. TOLD ME THAT THE WHIPPET RACING IS WELCOME BACK THERE, PROVIDED THAT GOOD NOTICE IS GIVEN... :cheers:

that is bad news it was a lovley venue and the loss will only contribute to whippet racings downfall , i hope there can be a new venue found soon.

p.s. doreen was that the only reason given ???????

It is a nice area but still another major trail for us up north/specially with a caravan on tow- it was never one of my favourite tracks either-

Trouble is finding somewhere else with all the necessary requirements/camping etc... :(

JOHNG said:
that is bad news it was a lovley venue and the loss will only contribute to whippet racings downfall , i hope there can be a new venue found soon.
p.s. doreen was that the only reason given ???????

Hi John, yes that was the only reason given, as I said the fed are being told exactly the same

Doreen

I'll let you know if my lottery numbers come up tomorrow night !!! :teehee:

Last edited by a moderator:
aww thats a real shame even though it wa a 4 hour drive 4 us we still like it there. :( hope something can be sorted :luck: :luck: :luck:

can't say many people will be surpriced by this news, :b with all the damage and trouble Asfordby's had to put up with by some members, not a lover of the track never have been, but you can't beat the facilities or the workers, the only other track is old hall, in the midlands, looks like you may have to move the champs around the country,

Doreen Hopkins said:
Sadly I have to inform all BWRA members that I had a telephone call today from the chairman of Asfordby Sports Club informing me that they would no longer be able to let us use their ground for our championships.
Dave the chairman said that after their meeting on Wednesday it was decided that our event had become too big for them to manage.  None of the staff that work there get paid, they are all volunteers and give up their time to stage this event.

We can still stage one day meetings but these would have to be between the middle of May to the middle of August, no race meetings can be held outside these stated months.

I was given to understand that the N.N.W.R.F. have been given the same information so both racing bodies are being treated exactly the same.

What we need now is for club or regional secretaries to write to me if you think that a club in your area could stage our championships,this will include puppy championships if we want to stage them as a week-end event with another rave meeting.

Ideally the venue should be in the middle of the country so that every one has more or less the same distance to travel. Also there would need to be club facilities for the social evening, toilets, showers.

If anyone has any ideas please put them inwriting to me and we can discuss it at this years AGM.  This will be held on SUNDAY  NOVEMBER 27TH  AT  OLD HALL.

SORRY IT'S BAD NEWS BUT HOPEFULLY WE CAN COME UP WITH SOMETHING FOR NEXT YEAR.

REGARDS  Doreen

we are aware of the situation and have been for sometime however the N.N.W.R.F. 2006 booking was accepted by Asfordby in May and we have not been informed by them of any cancellation yet o:)

(we live in hope)

We loved Ashfordby even though it took us over 8 hours to get there. Great track and good club house :D ,,Just hope its not going to take us longer to get to the next Straight BWRA Champs next year :oops: .

the amount of money generated over the champs for the club. they must be poor buisness minded or own labradors and drink lots of orange/lemonade :oops: :- " bad for all of use great venue :(

First of all I would like to thank the Asfordby WRC club's racer's and the club house for their hospitality and hard work over the few years they have held the Championship's there and also the B.W.R.A Committee and workers (past and present) for all their hard work. Looking at some of the posts on here there would seem to be an opinion that other factors were taken into account when this decission was reached and if this was the case I wish that the Asfordby Committee had told D Hopkins so that she was able to inform the B.W.R.A membership of all the reasons so that they could be addressed but if it was the case that we just were to big to handle we just have to move on. Looking at tracks that could handle this event I can only think of one that could be classed as central (in my opinion) to us all (assuming that Old Hall won't have us back) but I am sure that members from that club (who I have delibertly not named) have posted on K9 when there was a debate about central tracks and travel diatances that the ground has other commitments as well so it would probably not be possible to go there (I hope that I am wrong) so is there anywhere else central that I am missing that can handle the championships. My own club Kirkcaldy WRC could handle this event but I have to say that would be unfair to those who live in the south to to ask them to travel that far for a weekend event in the same way it would be unfair to ask people from Scotland to travel any further south than they already do for a weekend event. I don't do the bends anymore but I read on here some of the stick some tracks are getting I cannot beleive this after all if you don't like it don't go after all we need the tracks more than they need us and the state that some of the straight tracks are left in after weekend events beggar beleif so we have to respect the ground that we run on and the people who own it or we will run out of venues before members. We all have our differances but for the sake of the sport we should start pulling together just for the sport to survive never mind prosper. It's a shame that we have lost a track that after all the hard work was looking and running fantastic at the recent B.W.R.A Championships in August 2005 but I do have one point to make while I accept that the Asfordby WRC club members did not want the money (as reported by some of the members) the B.W.R.A membership voted to include a £5 levey on the membership for one year only to help with the cost of getting the track as good as possible. As I have said this had nothing to do with the Afordby WRC club members but I remember at the time some B.W.R.A members fearing a day like this would come and now it has arrived so I would ask that any club put forward to host the championships should be responsable for making sure that they can host the event and the B.W.R.A membership are not asked to meet the costs after all we are always only one meeting away from getting told sorry we can't do it no more.

one major contributing factor to the loss of this track has not yet been told, i am sure it will soon, but its not my place to do so, but when it comes out people will be very surprised and disgusted to hear it .

DavidH said:
the amount of money generated over the champs for the club. they must be poor buisness minded or own labradors and drink lots of orange/lemonade :oops:   :- "  bad for all of use great venue :(

mutley said:
one major contributing factor to the loss of this track has not yet been told, i am sure it will soon, but its not my place to do so, but when it comes out people will be very surprised and disgusted to hear it .
Having lived amongst the licensing trade for most of my life I disagree David that the management of this club may be poor business minded-quite the contrary they'll have many other avenues open to them...most probably people who respect and appreciate other peoples property and enjoyment...and have higher moral standards

I know my dad wouldn't have entertained such clientele/episodes which go on at some events

Like always its only a minority that spoil it for the majority.

Karen

mutley said:

Then do you not think we should all be told what this is ?? after all we have lost a very good venue surely we the BWRA members should know WHY

First of all I would like to thank the Asfordby WRC club's racer's and the club house for their hospitality and hard work over the few years they have held the Championship's
Well said john i to would also like to thank them
I wish that the Asfordby Committee had told D Hopkins so that she was able to inform the B.W.R.A membership of all the reasons so that they could be addressed but if it was the case that we just were to big to handle we just have to move on.
I am sure that all the reasons will be known at the agm i don't think k9 is the place for this to be discussed
Looking at tracks that could handle this event
Be fore anyone mentions newton aycliffe gaz has spoken to Alan Cortney and he has expressed how much work goes into the organizing of the derby, and i dont think they would have another major event there.

My opinion that if all the major camping events were took to one place again then the organizers would get sick as, as happened in the past, just look seaham the old nwrf jumped on there then got £1000 sponsorship from then, also Melton the nwrf followed the bwra, a few years down the line its all gone.

I think that if we could find 2 or 3 different places for the major events it would be variety..

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back