The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Can Dogs Eat Vegetable Soup?

Orinjpeel

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I know there are a few raw feeders on here. Have any of you given your dogs vegetable soup as a way of getting them their regular vegetable intake? Does anyone know of any reason not to give them soup?

I have recently heard of someone feeding their dog some sort of vegetable baby food for their veg intake.

Neil

lake_reed_search.jpg

Orinjpeel said:
I know there are a few raw feeders on here.  Have any of you given your dogs vegetable soup as a way of getting them their regular vegetable intake?  Does anyone know of any reason not to give them soup?
I have recently heard of someone feeding their dog some sort of vegetable baby food for their veg intake.

Neil

I have given mine soup but not for the purpose of giving her veg intake, just because I had some left!

I started feeding her raw food when she used to steal the guinea pig vegs as a puppy...

She will eat apple cores,potato peel, carrot ends and cabbage leaf very happily in addition to her "complete" dry food. I f I don't give her some raw veg for a week, even if she had cooked veg, she start grazing my lawn. Sadly enough she has not learnt to be consistent and I still need to mow...

She once stole a whole red cabbage from the kitchen and managed to drag it back in her bed where she shredded it.

I found she has great fun with cauliflower stem with the leaves still attached. she can run in the garden shaking it all over and shredding it to bits then eating the leaves.

I think you'll find that most soups contain onions,which are toxic to dogs,so i personally wouldn't give it to mine!

Good point about the onion, also you probably couldn't rely on the nutritional content of prepared/shop bought soup, and additionally it's unlikely to contain raw veg - but you could make your own in onion-free batches and freeze it in empty muller-rice pots for ready-use :thumbsup: I do all kinds of interesting combinations depending on what veg I have. Beetroot, tomato, carrot and garlic seems to go down well. Cauli, green beans and apple. Spinach, courgette, banana... the choice is yours :D

For dogs that are a bit picky with veg is to blend it up in a food precesser to a paste with a bit of water then mix it with meat ect.

that way their not having to crunch their way through carrots ect

Mark Roberts said:
For dogs that are a bit picky with veg is to blend it up in a food precesser to a paste with a bit of water then mix it with meat ect.that way their not having to crunch their way through carrots ect

yes, sorry, that's what I meant. I forgot about the blending bit :b THEN you can freeze it :thumbsup: the greens need pulping anyway, or the dogs can't digest them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking of making soup as I know that a lot of the prepared ones contain onions. My dogs like raw veg but are not keen on it once it has been blended hence the reason for making it.

I may have my information wrong, I am sure that dogs can digest cooked veg as well as pulped raw veg. If it is cooked in a soup then all the goodness of the veg will be in the water in the soup. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Orinjpeel said:
I was thinking of making soup as I know that a lot of the prepared ones contain onions.  My dogs like raw veg but are not keen on it once it has been blended hence the reason for making it. 
I may have my information wrong, I am sure that dogs can digest cooked veg as well as pulped raw veg.  If it is cooked in a soup then all the goodness of the veg will be in the water in the soup.  Am I wrong in my thinking?

If you feel the need to feed veg why don't you boil cabbage etc drain and use the water

In what quantity are onions toxic to dogs because mine have eaten them if I've had a bit of stew left or something, very rare :oops: I didn't know

I feed mine raw meat with veg and rice or pasta

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst we're on the subject of raw food. Can anybody give advice on what raw meat would be ideal to start feeding a growing deerhound (10 months old). He currently eats Hill's dry with some raw veg or cooked mince but i'm not sure what raw meat i can/can't feed him.

Thanks, Simon.

simon said:
Whilst we're on the subject of raw food.  Can anybody give advice on what raw meat would be ideal to start feeding a growing deerhound (10 months old).  He currently eats Hill's dry with some raw veg or cooked mince but i'm not sure what raw meat i can/can't feed him.
Thanks, Simon.

I feed mine on a variety of things. I started with chicken wings and carcases and then moved onto different bits of lamb and beef mince. I also feed them veg, eggs, yogurt and very occasionally cottage cheese. They also get a bit of fish. They wont eat whole fish so it has to be tinned sardines.

I am still trying to work out a proper diet for them but I am getting there slowly but surely.

Neil

Thanks Neil.

I might try some chicken wings tommorow, do you feed the whole thing: skin and bones?

yup - skin bones and all - just make sure it's raw. If you think your dog might gulp and are a bit worried you can either break it down into pieces, or use a hammer on it.

My whippets are fine with the wings, but my whippet-mix had to learn to chew. I found a way to hold it that she didn't mistake my fingers for part of it (ouch), and made her chew till she'd crunched it up good before I'd let go. It took a few weeks, but after that I'd just give her her piece and tell her 'chew' and she would eat it nicely (but still FAST)

Wendy

what Wendy said.

I was a bit freaked out the first time I did it as I was always told that dogs should never get cooked chicken bones. No one ever said anything about raw ones. Now I know that raw bones are safe. My dogs are really loving their raw diet. I made 'soup' for them last night so I am going to try them on that this morning.

Neil

If you feel the need to feed veg why don't you boil cabbage etc drain and use the water
The act of cooking the Veg kills a lot of the nutriants.

If you are feeding a raw diet,perhaps you could grate the veg like carrot into what your feeding, although i feed fresh cooked meat i grate raw veg into it, i dont always put the veg into the pot to cook, as like a previos post said you loose some of the nutrients when they are cooked.

Mine also like fruit and veg as treats, i just chop up a few bits and they help themselves!! actually when i come in with the shopping, they raid the bags like last week, and were munching the pears in their bed!!! :lol:

I though that you loose some of the nutrients into the water that is why steaming the veg is a better way to cook. If the water is kept - as in soup - then most of the nutrients are making it to the dog. I will do a bit more research on it.

They loved their soup this morning.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back