The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Can Rats Pass Any Disease On To Dogs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
naylorwhippets said:
I would take him to the vets, just to be sure.My brother almost died through Weils disease (Leptospirosis) It causes acute renal failure.

Yes Daniel went into kidney and liver failure .....He then started to malabsorb (sp) his food :( .....He had been infected over 2 years before hand ....its an awful disease that should be taken very seriously ......

Fleesh said:
If she had her vaccination/booster more than 9 months ago there is a chance she can contract the virus. The Lepto booster lasts for about 9 months despite the booster vaccination period being 12mths.
It say's 'about a year' on this site, which has some quite good information:

leptospirosis.org

affieluver said:
does any body know if rats can pass on any dodgy diseases to dogs ? i took my daft whippy x beddy out over the field the other day when she spied a huge rat so off she went full pelt and caught the damn thing  :blink: the bloody thing was screaming so loud it seemed to put her off her stride so she dropped it but by doing so she recieved quite a nasty bite to the side of her head dozy mare! :lol: i took her home and bathed it but it sems to have gone quite manky  :x she seems fine in herself but i think a trip to the vet will have to happen monday just to be on the safe side just didnt know if she could catch anything nasty damn rats  :rant: that rat was huge looked like hed been on steroids glad to say he is no longer with us :thumbsup:
Squeal like new born babies rats when copped, if its going manky as you say Kelly, vets the place, good luck

keith

I think a trip to the vets is in order just to be on the safe side

lots and lots of :luck: for a speedy recovery :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back