The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cancelled Opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I'd like to thank Paul Chappel for all the hard work he has put in over the years tM ensure the champs ran smoothly, THANK YOU PAUL

I think you all have to be careful, the WCRA might just say enough is enough and disband.
the way this has been delt with Anne i doubt it would be the end of the world!!!!

the facts are that people will not run with these dogs, so if it means we only club race and stick with the clubs that are standing by pedigree whippet racing, then so beit..

such a shame for the people that have put so much time into the WCRA.....if only DNA had been collected from the sire when asked (before he died) all this would have been resolved one way or the other by now!!

i really dont think us racers are to blame for all this :unsure:

What I find so hard to stomach is that people could believe a person they may have known and raced with for years would deliberately cheat, and then despite the accusations thrown at them go along to a champs meeting to 'cheat' infront of a very hostile and critical audience.

There were people at the Champs a few weeks back who would never have seen the dogs before that day, and almost certainly would not have been aware of the full facts, yet had made their decision anyway. This says more about those people than anything else.

I'd like to think that as there is as much heat on this subject that every club would make an effort to go along to the talk in, and then atleast have the full facts before they make any decisions.

Its much easier to go along with an angry mob calling for blood than to stop and look at the facts, which is all is being asked of racers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you all have to be careful, the WCRA might just say enough is enough and disband.
the way this has been delt with Anne i doubt it would be the end of the world!!!!

the facts are that people will not run with these dogs, so if it means we only club race and stick with the clubs that are standing by pedigree whippet racing, then so beit..

such a shame for the people that have put so much time into the WCRA.....if only DNA had been collected from the sire when asked (before he died) all this would have been resolved one way or the other by now!!

What I find so hard to stomach is that people could believe a person they may have known and raced with for years would deliberately cheat, and then despite the accusations thrown at them go along to a champs meeting to 'cheat' infront of a very hostile and critical audience.

There were people at the Champs a few weeks back who would never have seen the dogs before that day, and almost certainly would not have been aware of the full facts, yet had made their decision anyway. This says more about those people than anything else.

I'd like to think that as there is as much heat on this subject that every club would make an effort to go along to the talk in, and then atleast have the full facts before they make any decisions.

Its much easier to go along with an angry mob calling for blood than to stop and look at the facts, which is all is being asked of racers.

Excellent post Rae, i find all this 'back biting' head hunting' very hard to stomach.

The thing is Rae we have the facts. Everything the WCRA have on this matter, we know about. We certainly don't need another meeting which like the talk ins the committee will turn round and say, "well thank you for your input, we will take it into consideration, and do what we want anyway!" a vote isn't a vote - its only noted for consideration. That isn't good enough now. There is no need for the clubs to turn out over this one, they have made their feelings known by dropping the Superstars league. Nothing the WCRA can say will change the opinions.

You are correct Rae, there were a lot of people at the Champs who had not seen these dogs before that day. (It was noticed that the other two bigger and more powerful dogs from the litter were kept away). A lot of these people would not make up their minds [deleted - mod]. They wanted to see the dogs for themselves. Now that they have seen the evidence, along with many others, the Superstars points are being dropped form opens at an alarming rate. There is no point being affiliated to a governing body who does not listen to the clubs who are affiliated to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
unfortunatly there has been far to much hear say and 2nd hand info which hasnt helped matters be resolved.

I think a reps meeting would be very good for the sport as that way everyone can see/hear the info ect 1st hand and ask questions.

Excellent post Rae, i find all this 'back biting' head hunting' very hard to stomach.
Considering you don't even race, I think you are only hearing it from one side.

YES, CHEERS PAUL :thumbsup:
:( :(

I would also like to thank Paul for the years of hard work at WCRA Championships. Paul's decision to step down is for me a very sad day for pedigree whippet racing. We have all had some great times at Championships over the years :( It leaves us all wondering will things ever be the same again.

:( VERY VERY SAD :(

THANKS AGAIN PAUL X

I really think Nigel and Judy Booker should cancel this forum because all it's doing is causing more trouble , i thought this place is for a general discussion !
I think that Nigel and Judy have done very well in keeping this debate reasonably civilised. A forum IS a place for disussion, and, within some very tight strictures, that is pretty much what is happening here. I have heard K9 criticised as being part of the problem of rumour mongering and gossip spreading but where I could I have tried to disavow that. At least here it is out in the open to anyone with a pc and an internet conection. Better than clandestine meetings of small groups of people up and down the land.

As to the questions being asked of the WCRA, let's all remember please, that they are doing an unpaid job in what at times can be difficult circumstances. It's easy to say that the current problem has been self inflicted to a degree, but people do make mistakes - what is important is that any mistakes are recognised and acted upon.

No one should be comfortable with "mob rule" but the fact is that the protection of the sport, which is in danger of tearing itself apart, should be paramount to the wishes of a minority. I would hate to be one of the affected owners, especially if I was to all intents and purposes, an innocent caught up in much larger issues, but if individual sacrifices have to be made then so be it. There are alternatives, such as becoming non-ped for instance. Yeah of course I'm not all that serious about it, but the more I think about it the less ludicrous it seems - there are very few pedigree racers who breed for type - almost all breed for speed, so why not?

Anyway - let's all do our best to attend the debate on the 24th May - hopefully some good will come out of it.

I would also like to thank Paul for the brilliant job he has done for us all over the years, the champs (if there are any more) just wont be the same without you. ;)

I would just like to point out from what club did the member who started this thread belong to ?

their is no mob mentality Just concerned racers .this has been going on for a year now all racers were awear and those who I spoke to

have made up their own minds and the champs Just confirmed their fears .

its all well and good to set up another meeting but some of those racers live hundreds of miles away .

they travel down with their dogs to race and spend a weekend which is very exspensive surely you don,t exspect them to travel down

and return the same day.maybe the wcra could help cover their costs because without members from all clubs its pointless ?

I just wish that people would stop making this personal .

This meeting on the 24th in my view is very important. Its aim is to furnish the racing fraternity with all the facts and to find out the truth instead of hearsay.

I know its along journey for some, I personally have spent over 30 hours on the road the past 6 months driving to attend meetings and trying constructively to resolve this crisis. I’m not complaining about this as its what I took on when the racers elected me and I felt as racing has given me so much it was my turn to give a bit back.

People travel long distances for opens, and I feel anyone concerned with the future of racing should try to attend.

Racers have heard a lot of gossip over the past months. I’m very sad that the future of racing is under threat; everyone should now seize and welcome the opportunity to get the facts.

>You vote on people as WCRA committee members to act in your best interests within the rules and powers available to them so please do not loose sight of this.

As a matter of interest will the racers be given a chance to vote on the new committee members who are taking the place of those of you who have left the committee recently. Or are they going to be on the committee for almost a year before they stand for election?

IMO there is fundamental flaw in the way that the WCRA is permitted to operate. That is it's run like a 'secret' organisation.

The basic problem as I see it.

It only has clubs as members.

Which means that racers generally are too removed from the governing body. Racers are totally reliant on their club committee acting in a democratic way. Yesterday at the club I attended. The reps were proposed, seconded and then voted upon. I KNOW that those reps when they attend the meeting will represent the views of the members accurately (anyway I shall be there to keep an eye on them :p ;) ). How many other club members can say the same thing. I've already heard for example that one club is saying that ONLY the Chairman and Secretary are allowed to attend (incidentally that was said Sunday morning before the letter to the clubs had probably been written).

But how are the clubs treated by the current system?

Clubs have written letters to the WCRA and those haven't been acknowledged. Did they ever get beyond the postmans sack? Who knows.

Why aren't copies of the minutes of the WCRA meeting sent out to the clubs so that clubs members can read them? If that had been done then there would have been no reason for the 2nd champs to be cancelled and this 'emergency' meeting put on in it's place because everyone would already know the facts of the matter.

I've been to a couple of Talk In's as a club rep and first thing we are all told is something like thank you for coming but we don't have to act on anything you say. In other words we may hear you speak but not listen. So lots of very experienced racers don't bother going as there is no point in wasting their time.

IF the WCRA was able to be run in a different manner then none of this need to have got out of hand like it has.

I feel personally very sorry for most people involved in this matter. We had a perfect opportunity at the last Talk In to discuss and lay some basis for a strategy for dealing with this matter and/or any other further occurances of it and we were basically shut up by the chairman who it appeared to me did not want any discussion of DNA testing of future litters, existing stud dogs and brood bitches. But how are breeders and owners and their fellow racers going to be 'protected' from further occurences of the problem facing us all today. AT THE MOMENT WE HAVE ALL LOST!

I would have liked for this to be an Open Meeting where if people give their time, money and effort to turn up they would be allowed to voice an opinion but I presume that because us whippet racers aren't members then that can't happen. However I do believe that as many whippet racers who can make the journey should. Because to do otherwise will lay those not present open to the accusation that they didn't care enough to attend so aren't really bothered/concerned about the matter.

It is not MOST of the previous WCRA committee who is to blame for this current mess but the system in which they operate.

I shall miss you Paul. I shall miss your wicked sense of humour and also the hard work that you put into running the champs. Whippet racing IMO will be a sadder place without you.

If anyone's still reading this then I have only stated my personal opinion. So blame me if you don't like what I've said.

We have, right from the start, asked that K9 Community was not used as the place to resolve this issue because we were worried that it could get out of hand. In the past few months we have tirelessly tried to ensure this topic was not talked about here. We have always felt that the issue needed to be resolved by the WCRA.

From the reaction at the Championships it is obvious that the vast majority of people have made their minds up and this thread is now going round in circles. I hope that the meeting proposed by the WCRA will provide a platform for everyone's views to be expressed and the WCRA can resolve the matter.

With that in mind this topic is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back