The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cat Proofing

Lennard

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Dear all,

What would you do if you had a 10 month old whippet bitch that is really keen on cats and that doesn't respond or wind down after a violent "no" and a really rough shake?

Anyone any tips?

regards,

Lennard

Do you have cats of your own? or are you referring to cats that you meet outside? :unsure:

I agree with Evie - if you don't treat your dog with calmness and respect I don't think you can expect her to learn the same approach to another creature. They all get over excited at times but this needs to be chanelled through exercise and playing with the correct things. I have several toys which only come out when we are playing together which consequently then become really exciting and help her play and let off steam in the right way.

There's probably plenty on FAQ to read up on as well :thumbsup:

Cats outside is the problem.

Its just this particular whippet, a sister of a sister-brother pair with the dog responding to "negative conditioning" pretty good but the bitch is just too "hard" or eager.

We might have to go the long way with cat proofing as no cats were available for teaching...

Not my whippet...my longdogs grew up with cats and they certainly respond to "negative conditioning".

Sooo...still any tips or experience with for instance Teletac ysytems are welcome,

cheers,

L.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not quite sure what you want to achieve here? My Whips live with cats but will still chase ones they see outside. I would rather they didn't and I certainly do not actively encourage them to hunt anything but that is what they are bred to do so sometimes you just have to go with the flow. I always put mine on leads when we come anywhere near houses on our walk and if they see one and start creating like banshees, I stop or turn round a walk a few paces back until they are calm and controlled and then walk on again. I do not let my dogs walk at the end of their leads anyway, they have to walk by my side so they are discouraged from pulling like trains for any reason be it a cat or anything else.

What we want to achieve is that when the whippet sees a cat when leashed it can be commanded to "wind down" and not bring its owner in jeopardy.

Should be feasible...there is a brain inside that can make a distinction between "game" (unrestricted run/grab) and "cat" (don't be too excited no action is allowed).

My older bitch chases cats too, both my dogs do, but without the fire and drive she has on rabbits.

L.

dessie said:
I am not quite sure what you want to achieve here?  My Whips live with cats but will still chase ones they see outside.  I would rather they didn't and I certainly do not actively encourage them to hunt anything but that is what they are bred to do so sometimes you just have to go with the flow.  I always put mine on leads when we come anywhere near houses on our walk and if they see one and start creating like banshees, I stop or turn round a walk a few paces back until they are calm and controlled and then walk on again.  I do not let my dogs walk at the end of their leads anyway, they have to walk by my side so they are discouraged from pulling like trains for any reason be it a cat or anything else.
Same here Caroline.

My cats get on great with the dogs most of the time. But they would chase outdoors - strange cats.

Mine are on leads in the village - and thankfully dont come across any cats up the fields.

Lennard said:
What we want to achieve is that when the whippet sees a cat when leashed it can be commanded to "wind down" and not bring its owner in jeopardy.
Should be feasible...there is a brain inside that can make a distinction between "game" (unrestricted run/grab) and "cat" (don't be too excited no action is allowed).

It is just basic lead training, but harsh speaking and shaking is only going to wind her up not calm her down. How many cats do you meet that it is such a problem??? Distraction is the best policy, either with titbits or stopping and turning around as I have already described. When she ignores the cat, lots of praise. Each dog is different, the same as we are, so will react to different things in different ways. I have one little girlie who can see a Roe Deer running full tilt towards us with the others in hot pursuit and she wonders what all the fuss is about.

How does the whippet bring its owner into jeopardy? Most whippets are 12-ish kilos, maybe a little more, while humans tend to be 60 kilos upwards. It shouldn't put the human in too much jeopardy to control an on-lease dog of average whippet size. Perhaps the leash needs to be shorter when there is a danger of cats around, and if the owner has more than one whippet they might consider walking her alone until they have more control.

I agree about the cats-at-home/cats-out issue. Mine lived happily with two cats (sadly now gone to the Bridge) but they will still go onto alert when a cat is seen outside the home. I keep the lead short, speak calmly to them, keep walking until we're passed. I don't see it as a problem, it's just one of those things with the breed of dog we've chosen.

I think the dog whisperer person says that harsh speaking is counter productive because it actually tells a dog that they're justified in their behaviour, that their human is asking for protection, and that they should carry on or even ramp it up :eek:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back