The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Changes For The Better???

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
OK point taken lol :wacko: I will try to type faster, I will try to type faster, I will try to type faster............. feel like I just been told off at school. :blink:

A very good idea Tam!!!!!!

No opens would mean the clubs are much better attended each week.

With no extra cost for open trophies each year and more money in racers pockets travelling to local clubs instead of the umpteen Top Ten or Additional opens held up and down the country!

This would also rule out the S Coast Scr, UK Scr & Scottish Champs making more room in the calendar, making my job a lot easier at the end of the year, which is nighhtmare to plan!

It would also make the jobs of both organisations a lot easier, with less opens, therefore a saving on cost.

The BWRA would have both championships bend and straight, Classics; Jack Cadman, Lord Byron & IBM.

The NNWRF would have both championships bend and straight, plus Classics Straight & Bend.

The Golden Jackets could then score for NNWRF points only & the high prestige of winning the Jacket & trophy.

The English & Scottish Derby could count for points......

Proposed 2012 Calendar

March BWRA Bend Champs

April BWRA Lord Byron

May NNWRF Straight Champs / NNWRF Straight Classic

June English Derby BWRA IBM

July Scottish Derby

Aug BWRA straight Champs

Sept Jack Cadman

Oct NNWRF Bend Champs

Nov NNWRF Bend Derby

The NNWRF & BWRA will be holding their AGM very soon, as will most regions and clubs....

This is an important topic, the sport needs a boost from somewhere.....have your say, if we do nothing and you just talk amongst yourselves, we won't progress any further!

W News has no jurasdiction towards any Additional Opens, only Top Ten....so all clubs need to back this idea for it to work properly, it will be no good, if you all slowly add an Addtional open here and there, all opens must be stamped out in order for this to work!

With no extra cost for open trophies each year and more money in racers pockets travelling to local clubs instead of the umpteen Top Ten or Additional opens held up and down the country!

This would also rule out the S Coast Scr, UK Scr & Scottish Champs making more room in the calendar, making my job a lot easier at the end of the year, which is nighhtmare to plan!

It would also make the jobs of both organisations a lot easier, with less opens, therefore a saving on cost.

The BWRA would have both championships bend and straight, Classics; Jack Cadman, Lord Byron & IBM.

The NNWRF would have both championships bend and straight, plus Classics Straight & Bend.

The Golden Jackets could then score for NNWRF points only & the high prestige of winning the Jacket & trophy.

Proposed 2012 Calendar

March BWRA Bend Champs

April BWRA Lord Byron

July Scottish Derby

Aug BWRA straight Champs

Sept Jack Cadman

Oct NNWRF Bend Champs

Nov NNWRF Bend Derby

The NNWRF & BWRA will be holding their AGM very soon, as will most regions and clubs....

This is an important topic, the sport needs a boost from somewhere.....have your say, if we do nothing and you just talk amongst yourselves, we won't progress any further!

W News has no jurasdiction towards any Additional Opens, only Top Ten....so all clubs need to back this idea for it to work properly, it will be no good, if you all slowly add an Addtional open here and there, all opens must be stamped out in order for this to work!

so you saying thats the top ten programme so what about club opens none??

Proposed 2012 Calendar

March BWRA Bend Champs

April BWRA Lord Byron

July Scottish Derby

Aug BWRA straight Champs

Sept Jack Cadman

Oct NNWRF Bend Champs

Nov NNWRF Bend Derby

Don't think they'll be any Chris on reading this

Proposed 2012 Calendar

March BWRA Bend Champs

April BWRA Lord Byron

July Scottish Derby

Aug BWRA straight Champs

Sept Jack Cadman

Oct NNWRF Bend Champs

Nov NNWRF Bend Derby

Just had another thought.How would you be able to fund whippet news Chris?Would have thought advertising from clubs,regions etc,play a big part in funding whippet news.

Proposed 2012 Calendar

March BWRA Bend Champs

April BWRA Lord Byron

July Scottish Derby

Aug BWRA straight Champs

Sept Jack Cadman

Oct NNWRF Bend Champs

Nov NNWRF Bend Derby

well im amazed to think a magazine can think it knows best for the whole of whippet racing :wacko: one thing a comp they run fair enough but to think it can dictate to every club from one person idea beggers belief if whippet racing it on its knees you just shoot it in the head .what about clubs with few members?be exciting for them what about clubs were they make money from opens to survive .think with no proof that this would improve things is a joke.what about clubs that run open memorial etc just pack them in for a few views why utter rubbish.it must be the only sport were the news mag thinks it could tell clubs what to do

Proposed 2012 Calendar

March BWRA Bend Champs

April BWRA Lord Byron

July Scottish Derby

Aug BWRA straight Champs

Sept Jack Cadman

Oct NNWRF Bend Champs

Nov NNWRF Bend Derby

Sorry but i dont think cutting opens so drasticly is the answer, it would not boost attendances as the people with a moderate dog who like to go to top ten opens and maybe have a chance of winning a heat wont bother as the competition would be a lot sronger, and also i dont think it will get more people club racing, Aycliffe has had the same members week in week out for many years, the only time we get a few more is at the beginning of the year when members want to get thier dogs ready for the new season.

All that will happen is we will have more additional opens. I agree that some SMALL changes need to be made,but the above is too drastic :wacko:

Proposed 2012 Calendar

March BWRA Bend Champs

April BWRA Lord Byron

July Scottish Derby

Aug BWRA straight Champs

Sept Jack Cadman

Oct NNWRF Bend Champs

Nov NNWRF Bend Derby

Don't think that would work I know times are hard re-fuel costs in the present climate but would racers be satisfied with just club racing 3 weeks out of 4, I wouldn't be . I would find it boring and as a lot of clubs race mid week during the summer months what would we do at weekends think it would see more of a decline in the sport, I agree something needs to change e.g too many opens clashing on the same day there is enough space in the calendar for all the clubs to have a TT open each it just needs to be arranged sensibly and fairly maybe scrap the additional opens or put them on mid week or as most opens are run on Sundays the additional opens could be Sat.

Don't think the SCOTTISH CHAMPS should be taken off this is part of a 10 day event with the SCOTTISH DERBY at KIRKCALDY WRC one of the best events in the callendar and well sponsored by local busines's who probably would not sponsor the event if they were not getting anything back, same with the SOUTH COAST SCR CH and JAN KEEBLE at THURROCK well sponsored and much needed by the club, and FORDINGBRIDGE also have a great weekend event in conjunction with the NNWRF which gets better attended each year, also EAST AYRSHIRE these are all great social gatherings be a shame to lose them it would be doing these far reaching clubs an injustice lets face it its the members from these clubs that have to do most of the travelling to get to any of the other opens and they are all whippet racing clubs in existence unlike Devon which unfortunately is not now a whippet club maybe the W.N ENGLISH DERBY would be better moved to one of these existing clubs that can accommodate it on a date that everyone who wants to attend can, as it has been over the last 4 years it falls outside of school holidays and some sadly have to miss out from this great event,

the above are my own opinions

As for the NNWRF/BWRA CHAMPS being moved round the country in an ideal world maybe but as it stands speaking for the NNWRF we know only too well the problems we have had over the past 3/4 years trying to get a venue that can accommodate it on the date we require, with a good track and facilities as well as room to store our equipment, we now have that venue at SHIREBROOK the owners of which want us there and need us as much as we need them we are not prepared to lose it

Proposed 2012 Calendar

March BWRA Bend Champs

April BWRA Lord Byron

July Scottish Derby

Aug BWRA straight Champs

Sept Jack Cadman

Oct NNWRF Bend Champs

Nov NNWRF Bend Derby

well im amazed to think a magazine can think it knows best for the whole of whippet racing :wacko: one thing a comp they run fair enough but to think it can dictate to every club from one person idea beggers belief if whippet racing it on its knees you just shoot it in the head .what about clubs with few members?be exciting for them what about clubs were they make money from opens to survive .think with no proof that this would improve things is a joke.what about clubs that run open memorial etc just pack them in for a few views why utter rubbish.it must be the only sport were the news mag thinks it could tell clubs what to do

Chris, I'm not dictating to anyone...I do not know what is best for the sport at all....that is why I am asking for opionions from everyone!

It was an idea that Tam put on k9, which people seemed to agree with!

No need to be so abrupt, I am only trying to help the clubs and do what's best!

If racers want the Top Ten and things left alone, then so be it....it doesn't matter to me, but will the clubs survive?

No set decisons have been made......in fact it may be best to leave things alone for the foreseeable future.

I will soon to be standing down as Editor of W News.

I have been Editor for the past 15 years, and it needs a new lease of life.

I wish the sport all the best, as it has been part of our lives for many, many years.

Oh, and just for the record.....this is my post and what I asked to try and help the clubs...

As you all know I am trying to make changes to hopefully improve things for our clubs up and down the country.

The recently introduced ‘Club dog of the Year’ competition will come to fruition in 2012 when we see the run off’s at the champs!

Results are starting to trickle in and I’ve no doubt that they will come thick and fast as we near the end of the year!

Also indicated in the October W News; in order for clubs to secure Top Ten status, they need to offer at least 2 runs for competitors. This could be done via, ABC racing or Yd/lb with consolation afterwards….

Some comments (via a third party) have been made that they don’t think consolation would work, as they wouldn’t have time to fit it in…..commonsense has to prevail, if for some reason the unpredictable weather or mechanical issues make the day’s racing pan out too long then consolation racing couldn’t be held if time doesn’t allow, that would be understandable!

If you hold an open, is it your aim to attract as many dogs as possible?

I would hope so…..and as most racers don’t want to hit a ‘flying machine’ in their boring weight groups.

Running ABC gives you a chance to miss it, and give an extra run.

It could be staged l/w & h/w with dogs & bitches separate.

With the 4 winners coming together for an A final, scoring; 7pts, r-up 5pts, 3rd 4pts & 4th 3pts. Hts; 1pt.

The others forming; B, C & D finals!

I have watched with great interest at the very high turnout at Shirebrook, Notts/Derby & Old Hall who use this method on a regular basis, which offers something for everyone, this format has worked superbly!

After a lot of thought therefore in 2012, the 8 BWRA regions will forfeit one of the Top Ten opens, leaving one from now on. The regions don’t need the revenue as much as the clubs, each club now being entitled to 2 Top Ten Opens.

As it stands; Fordingbridge already have 2 Top Ten dates (which includes 1 Charity), as do Ayrshire, Old Hall, Notts/Derby. Horden stage the UK scratch champs. Kirkcaldy; The Scottish Derby and Scottish Champs, with the same for Thurrock who stage the South Coast Scr bend and straight events, I’m not sure these clubs would all want any more!!!

Clubs could run one open on weight group principal, with the other as ‘ABC’ for a trial year to see if one format attracts more dogs than the other.

Clubs that may benefit from this are; Worcester, Maltby, Stockton, A & T, Wallsend & Newton Aycliffe etc!!

The regions who lose one of their opens, could maybe offer their lost ‘Trophy’ to be run at a club, instead of making it an additional open (for example, the E Mids region’s clubs are ‘Notts/Derby, Old Hall & Shirebrook’, the latter stages only one open, so maybe one of the regional trophies ie; Rhinesize or Another Maid….could be taken on by that club.

Instead of just talking among yourselves, I need to know what you all want?

Oh, and just for the record.....this is my post and what I asked to try and help the clubs...

As you all know I am trying to make changes to hopefully improve things for our clubs up and down the country.

The recently introduced ‘Club dog of the Year’ competition will come to fruition in 2012 when we see the run off’s at the champs!

Results are starting to trickle in and I’ve no doubt that they will come thick and fast as we near the end of the year!

Also indicated in the October W News; in order for clubs to secure Top Ten status, they need to offer at least 2 runs for competitors. This could be done via, ABC racing or Yd/lb with consolation afterwards….

Some comments (via a third party) have been made that they don’t think consolation would work, as they wouldn’t have time to fit it in…..commonsense has to prevail, if for some reason the unpredictable weather or mechanical issues make the day’s racing pan out too long then consolation racing couldn’t be held if time doesn’t allow, that would be understandable!

I would hope so…..and as most racers don’t want to hit a ‘flying machine’ in their boring weight groups.

With the 4 winners coming together for an A final, scoring; 7pts, r-up 5pts, 3rd 4pts & 4th 3pts. Hts; 1pt.

I have watched with great interest at the very high turnout at Shirebrook, Notts/Derby & Old Hall who use this method on a regular basis, which offers something for everyone, this format has worked superbly!

After a lot of thought therefore in 2012, the 8 BWRA regions will forfeit one of the Top Ten opens, leaving one from now on. The regions don’t need the revenue as much as the clubs, each club now being entitled to 2 Top Ten Opens.

As it stands; Fordingbridge already have 2 Top Ten dates (which includes 1 Charity), as do Ayrshire, Old Hall, Notts/Derby. Horden stage the UK scratch champs. Kirkcaldy; The Scottish Derby and Scottish Champs, with the same for Thurrock who stage the South Coast Scr bend and straight events, I’m not sure these clubs would all want any more!!!

Clubs could run one open on weight group principal, with the other as ‘ABC’ for a trial year to see if one format attracts more dogs than the other.

Clubs that may benefit from this are; Worcester, Maltby, Stockton, A & T, Wallsend & Newton Aycliffe etc!!

The regions who lose one of their opens, could maybe offer their lost ‘Trophy’ to be run at a club, instead of making it an additional open (for example, the E Mids region’s clubs are ‘Notts/Derby, Old Hall & Shirebrook’, the latter stages only one open, so maybe one of the regional trophies ie; Rhinesize or Another Maid….could be taken on by that club.

OOP'S that's three of the same reply....sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proposed 2012 Calendar

March BWRA Bend Champs

April BWRA Lord Byron

July Scottish Derby

Aug BWRA straight Champs

Sept Jack Cadman

Oct NNWRF Bend Champs

Nov NNWRF Bend Derby

Chris, I'm not dictating to anyone...I do not know what is best for the sport at all....that is why I am asking for opionions from everyone!

If racers want the Top Ten and things left alone, then so be it....it doesn't matter to me, but will the clubs survive?

No set decisons have been made......in fact it may be best to leave things alone for the foreseeable future.

I wish the sport all the best, as it has been part of our lives for many, many years.

sorry if it came across so abrupt :teehee: but the reason people arnt traveling is cost or cant or like me not if dont think i can win lol.the reason more add opens have been put on is members still want to race even if not choosing to travel.we at our club have seem to get more new people interested coming to watch these add opens.but i think people should have the choice to do what they think best in there region.

Proposed 2012 Calendar

March BWRA Bend Champs

April BWRA Lord Byron

July Scottish Derby

Aug BWRA straight Champs

Sept Jack Cadman

Oct NNWRF Bend Champs

Nov NNWRF Bend Derby

sorry if it came across so abrupt :teehee: but the reason people arnt traveling is cost or cant or like me not if dont think i can win lol.the reason more add opens have been put on is members still want to race even if not choosing to travel.we at our club have seem to get more new people interested coming to watch these add opens.but i think people should have the choice to do what they think best in there region.

Don't worry Chris, I understand people will get frustrated with the situation....it's good people are having their say, it's what this debate is all about after all.....

Whippet Racing plays a big part in everyone's lives, we all want the same thing in the end...to see it progress, and hopefully attracting more people and more dogs at opens and club meetings in the future.

Proposed 2012 Calendar

March BWRA Bend Champs

April BWRA Lord Byron

July Scottish Derby

Aug BWRA straight Champs

Sept Jack Cadman

Oct NNWRF Bend Champs

Nov NNWRF Bend Derby

Don't worry Chris, I understand people will get frustrated with the situation....it's good people are having their say, it's what this debate is all about after all.....

Whippet Racing plays a big part in everyone's lives, we all want the same thing in the end...to see it progress, and hopefully attracting more people and more dogs at opens and club meetings in the future.
:thumbsup:

sorry to read you are soon to be " standing down as editor of Whippet News " Chris you have done a good job over the last 15 years all the best with whatever you do in the future, however have a couple of questions need answers to so we as racers and organizers know where we are at

is W.N to be taken over by another or wrapped up

when is it likely to be (would hope there is plenty of notice on this in order for us to sort our best form of advertising furure events)

sorry to read you are soon to be " standing down as editor of Whippet News " Chris you have done a good job over the last 15 years all the best with whatever you do in the future, however have a couple of questions need answers to so we as racers and organizers know where we are at
is W.N to be taken over by another or wrapped up

when is it likely to be (would hope there is plenty of notice on this in order for us to sort our best form of advertising furure events)

Whippet News won't be 'wrapped up' Lin, it will be taken over by someone else, so it may be unwise for me to make any decisions on any important changes yet....I will carry on until someone new takes it on, and I'm sure it will prosper for many more years to come, with a 'new' refreshing outlook (which is much needed).

If you cut top ten events this will make make clubs put on more add opens for lost ones or past dogs,so there for these will be like reginal opens,and this will save cost.

and if you are not happy with running at your club because this is boring your must be doing some thing wrong,we have a right good day when we go to our clubs weather it be wed sat or sun,notts,old hall,shire brooke,race the dogs win or loose we go for a pint and a good soical time.

you wud have good competion at your club if opens were cut,because every one in your area would be at the club.

and it is time to stop going over the same old dirt,and look at some different turf.because this sport will be gone in 5 or 10 years,

and to say how many people look on this web site i do not think there has been enough people reply with ideas.so most people cant really be that bothered about the sport.

tam

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back