The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Changes For The Better???

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Conversation has reached the same conclusion as I did when I was typing this but hey ho.....

There are lots of ways to promote racing and increase attendances.....

Club's, I think should attempt to host weekend events. First day of racing could be a desirable open, 2nd day could be done as a time trial event from times accrued the day previously.

Owners to have more dogs - we don't pass on our ''B grade'' dogs. We're fortunate enough to be part of a club where time handicapping rules, why this format isn't nationwide is beyond my comprehension and can't help but feel it builds ''bad blood'' with heavyweight dogs. I see a number of slower dogs attend weekend events but not given the opportunity of a run. These dogs can be gold dust to a club in training youngsters, they should be given the opportunity to show off their abilities beyond their clubs be it time handicaps, longer distance races, Maiden classes, whatever. You'll know if it's working if Tony invests in a bloody big van!!! :lol:

Attract newcomers to the sport - Seriously, what is the point of someone bringing their dog week in week, week out if their owners aren't given that little taste of glory to tempt them? I would suggest clubs do lots of promotion not just in papers. Do a feature of your club dogs in whippet news, get the camera out, get photos and get them on facebook, K9, The whippet forum. Clubs - get yourselves a group on facebook, make it public and invite members to events. Run your racing like I've suggested above and award little trophies, rosettes, certificates. This stuff costs pennies but it can be priceless to a dog owner.

At the end of Wessy's club racing season, all the owners get a little envelope of photos of their dogs but I'm also thinking of awarding owners with Certificates like best newcomer, Most improved dog etc etc. When we hold our Bend Bonanza, my hope is that every one of those devoted owners who've come to all our club meets will leave that day with a little something along with a big round of applause and leave feeling very proud of their dog, regardless of how it faired against the high ranking Open class dogs.

Widen your horizons, Club opens to have pedigree racing and lurcher racing. I think the NNWRF and The BWRA should seriously think of broadening their horizons especially when you look at lurcher racing where ''champs titles'' are given out like candy. There is the potential for revenue to be gained if someone decided to take them on and organise some racing that is on good ground, fair and promotes clean racing. There are many bank hol weekend events where Monday has a relatively low attendance, maybe Mondays could host a non-ped time handicap (based on times accrued at the weekend for loosing dogs) or maiden class racing along with some lurcher racing?

With out wanting to sound pessimistic about the whole topic, many of these things have been tried in the past to no avail.

I do understand this is only one club but Manton ran advance and retard, but not like many clubs in the fact that once a new season began dogs started again, we felt this unfair as the 'b' grades as they seem to be known, had just got to a point of winning and then back to the beginning, our handicap system ran on continuous each year hence oldies,' b'grades all got a chance of a few wins throughout the season. Alongside our handicaps we ran trophies of varying distances and formats, from 1/2yd/lb over 100yds to 220 yds 1 1/2 yds/lb in weight classes and the infamous pre war handicap plus many yd/lb and 1/2 yd/lb trophies from 140 dog and bitch separate to 175yds all in. 5 heat pool to encourage racers, FREE presentation at the end of the year, the choice of prize money weekly when won or it was banked for a more substantial amount at the end of the year at the annual presentation. All our trophies were engraved at the clubs expense at the end of the season and presented. We held evening racing and trialling for puppy training, but what was once a good well attended club dwindled, people wanted different racing, they didnt like the thought of the 'a' grades giving too much away so after many years abc was introduced, but still it didnt increase numbers. Our results were printed in our local paper weekly, we had articles about achievements of our high flyers at the club, but i can honestly say I dont ever remember anyone coming to race because they had seen it in the paper!!! We also had a pedigree section and ran for trophies for them too. We did a Manton WRC website yes it got some interest but not enough to increase racing, odd people rang enquired came along for a day out but not many 'bought' a whippet.

Eventually after much deliberation the club folded after 40 years plus due to changes on the field, but I'm not sure even if the football hadn't taken over if we would have survived as our numbers were getting less and less each week which for us was very upsetting it had been our weekend lives and this sadly has happened to so many clubs along the way.

Think what i'm trying to say is times have changed, personally I don't think we do have the numbers we once had but we can all only try our best to build on what we have, not sure that trying to change everything will be a great deal of help, we just have to promote the best we can and hope people return (once its in the blood its hard to shake off) and if we're lucky to pick up a few newbies along the way, thats a bonus for us.

Just like to say too that if your lucky like we are at the moment(at Shirebrook Staff WRC) and the venue you are situated at wants and encourages whippet racing it makes for a much more relaxed and friendly atmosphere so here we are again trying to promote our hobby/sport a bit further down the road, like I said if its in your blood you don't give in easily :thumbsup:

Conclusion not sure what changes could be made for the better !!!!! :wacko:

Very well put Karen l think you have about summed it up there :))

ive started a new topic up on enticing new racers so im going to copy and paste both wild whippies and trojans post for there (hoping that they done mind) as wild whippies has some good ideas as does trojan :thumbsup:

Widen your horizons, Club opens to have pedigree racing and lurcher racing. I think the NNWRF and The BWRA should seriously think of broadening their horizons especially when you look at lurcher racing where ''champs titles'' are given out like candy. There is the potential for revenue to be gained if someone decided to take them on and organise some racing that is on good ground, fair and promotes clean racing. There are many bank hol weekend events where Monday has a relatively low attendance, maybe Mondays could host a non-ped time handicap (based on times accrued at the weekend for loosing dogs) or maiden class racing along with some lurcher racing?

Could'nt agree more Jac its the only way forward, most will know we have welcome lurcher racing at our club and in turn are hopefully going to hold shows and race days :thumbsup: if we can get just a few to own a non ped then thats good for racing,

Could'nt agree more Jac its the only way forward, most will know we have welcome lurcher racing at our club and in turn are hopefully going to hold shows and race days :thumbsup: if we can get just a few to own a non ped then thats good for racing,
I have for along while thought the best feed into whippet racing comes from lurcher owners.They're like minded folk,they love running dogs.When the hunting ban came into place,alot of lurcher owners thought that would be the end of shows,but it hasn't.They go from strength to strength,so obviously they're doing something right.I have in the past mentioned a way of promoting whippets to lurcher owners and the general public,but it was all to no avail.In all honesty,we're our own worst enemy.It's a case of i'm alright Jack,and leave it to somebody else.( You talk about being pessamistic Karen :lol: ) What i'm saying is unless everybody makes a concerted effort to promote the sport,nothing will change,including us all talking about it on K9 :lol:

With out wanting to sound pessimistic about the whole topic, many of these things have been tried in the past to no avail.
I do understand this is only one club but Manton ran advance and retard, but not like many clubs in the fact that once a new season began dogs started again, we felt this unfair as the 'b' grades as they seem to be known, had just got to a point of winning and then back to the beginning, our handicap system ran on continuous each year hence oldies,' b'grades all got a chance of a few wins throughout the season. Alongside our handicaps we ran trophies of varying distances and formats, from 1/2yd/lb over 100yds to 220 yds 1 1/2 yds/lb in weight classes and the infamous pre war handicap plus many yd/lb and 1/2 yd/lb trophies from 140 dog and bitch separate to 175yds all in. 5 heat pool to encourage racers, FREE presentation at the end of the year, the choice of prize money weekly when won or it was banked for a more substantial amount at the end of the year at the annual presentation. All our trophies were engraved at the clubs expense at the end of the season and presented. We held evening racing and trialling for puppy training, but what was once a good well attended club dwindled, people wanted different racing, they didnt like the thought of the 'a' grades giving too much away so after many years abc was introduced, but still it didnt increase numbers. Our results were printed in our local paper weekly, we had articles about achievements of our high flyers at the club, but i can honestly say I dont ever remember anyone coming to race because they had seen it in the paper!!! We also had a pedigree section and ran for trophies for them too. We did a Manton WRC website yes it got some interest but not enough to increase racing, odd people rang enquired came along for a day out but not many 'bought' a whippet.

Eventually after much deliberation the club folded after 40 years plus due to changes on the field, but I'm not sure even if the football hadn't taken over if we would have survived as our numbers were getting less and less each week which for us was very upsetting it had been our weekend lives and this sadly has happened to so many clubs along the way.

Think what i'm trying to say is times have changed, personally I don't think we do have the numbers we once had but we can all only try our best to build on what we have, not sure that trying to change everything will be a great deal of help, we just have to promote the best we can and hope people return (once its in the blood its hard to shake off) and if we're lucky to pick up a few newbies along the way, thats a bonus for us.

Just like to say too that if your lucky like we are at the moment(at Shirebrook Staff WRC) and the venue you are situated at wants and encourages whippet racing it makes for a much more relaxed and friendly atmosphere so here we are again trying to promote our hobby/sport a bit further down the road, like I said if its in your blood you don't give in easily :thumbsup:

Conclusion not sure what changes could be made for the better !!!!! :wacko:
agree with this ..all have been tryed before , bwra used to have time trail event got no dogs hardly, seen opens half yard get hardly none so thats not the way forward.just think if we all keep doing our best thats all we can do :thumbsup:

The NNWRF would have both championships bend and straight, plus Classics Straight & Bend.The Golden Jackets could then score for NNWRF points only & the high prestige of winning the Jacket & trophy.
If Golden Jackets only score for NNWRF points only and not top 10 do people think the entries would be less at these opens?

The NNWRF would have both championships bend and straight, plus Classics Straight & Bend.The Golden Jackets could then score for NNWRF points only & the high prestige of winning the Jacket & trophy.
If Golden Jackets only score for NNWRF points only and not top 10 do people think the entries would be less at these opens?
Dont think it would bother most people top ten to expensive to chase as it is now for most folk

I THINK WHAT THE PROBLEM IS, THAT PEOPLE JUST CANT AFFORD TO RACE ANYMORE. HOW ABOUT INTRODUCING BOGOFF ENTRYS. ?

I THINK WHAT THE PROBLEM IS, THAT PEOPLE JUST CANT AFFORD TO RACE ANYMORE. HOW ABOUT INTRODUCING BOGOFF ENTRYS. ?
Have to say not quite BOGOFF entries but back in late 1960's early 70's when mum and dad ran Shireoaks WRC it used to be full price for 1st dog (about 5 shllings....mum said, i can't remember lol) any more dogs was half price to enter. ;)

has anyone noticed the bends r well attended? why is this? is it becoz there only 1 bend open on each weekend? is it becoz of where its @? highgate pretty central? is it coz of guaranteed 2 runs? 1st bend open 75 ( i think) 2nd bend open 65 ( i think) 3rd bend open 85 (i think) next week? bendc champs guessing 100+ cambois (up north) maybe 40?

:lol:

has anyone noticed the bends r well attended? why is this? is it becoz there only 1 bend open on each weekend? is it becoz of where its @? highgate pretty central? is it coz of guaranteed 2 runs? 1st bend open 75 ( i think) 2nd bend open 65 ( i think) 3rd bend open 85 (i think) next week? bendc champs guessing 100+ cambois (up north) maybe 40?

because there are no additional opens on carol :lol:

its because champs are in 3 weeks time and people want to get their dogs ready for that day at highgate, cambois is the week after champs unless you live local to the track or can win the top ten the general amount of people will keep there dogs to highgate for the upcoming bend derby!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back