The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Clipping Nails

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Rosie said:
Just noticed this fab topic and read all the excellent advice (another busy day at work  :- " )  I also don't enjoy clipping nails but have got better over time and although I get some squirming I find if I'm patient but persistent she'll settle down and accepts it.
Anyway, the main reason for adding to this topic is that by accident recently I discovered a way to make clipping easier - wait until they've been out playing in the wet grass so the nails are slightly softened, like your mum used to do with your toe nails when you were a baby  :p   :lol:   This reduces the snap and click as the tip comes off which is what my whip never likes even when I'm nowhere near the quick.  It's made a big difference to our manicures and we're both more relaxed about it  :cheers:

That's a good idea! Like when you have had a bath.

we usaly do taht espacaly as we tend to dremmel or clipe there nails when they have had a good long walk so tere nice and tired and they just lye back on the sofa and relaxs. i still hate doing there nails espacaily the dark ones and laceys as her quck is very low and never receds. we picked ninny cos she had all whiet nails how sad are we lol

Louise_Simon said:
Would someone please volunteer to do Daisy's, I've just spent an hour trying to do her nails but she struggles so much its impossible. She lets me touch her feet but get the clippers within 2 feet of her and she gone. They are getting really long and it cant be comfortable for her. I managed 1 nail last night. Is there a sedative I can use? Maybe I should try at the vets or a groomer. I am tearing my hair out and she just gives me the big eyed look. Help
PS I have done Betsys and Morrisseys so its not as if I am scared to do nails they all have lovely white easy ones :b

any reply to this question?

I have exactly the same problem with one of my dogs

(and by the way, although we can't turn back the clock, how old was Daisy when you first tried cutting her nails?)

somebody suggested a dremel, but won't our hounds be just as scared of a dremel as they are of clippers and files?

The one dog I have that runs at the sight of nail clippers really doesn't have an issue with the dremmel. When I first got mine I'd switch it on and being nosey whips they'd come for a look and I'd reward them with a treat. I just built this up very slowly and then lightly brush over the nail with the dremmel and keep reinforcing rewards afterwards. Also supporting the nail whilst filing helps a lot as dogs that don't like the sensation of their nails being cut usually hate too much vibration too. I also think that regular touching / massage of their feet helps a lot.

The only other thing for those in desperation is to get someone else to clip your dogs nails (but who know what their doing) I've clipped a lot of dogs nails for folk who have found it impossible with no problems at all, I think because the dog doesn't know the person they tend to be on their best behaviour.

wild whippies said:
The only other thing for those in desperation is to get someone else to clip your dogs nails (but who know what their doing) I've clipped a lot of dogs nails for folk who have found it impossible with no problems at all, I think because the dog doesn't know the person they tend to be on their best behaviour.
Agree with that definitely - i have done nails of friends dogs who mess for their owners and are quite calm for me - just because they do tend to behave better for people they dont know quite so well (a bit like some children lol).

Karen

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back