The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Clipping Nails

kim & Tilly

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
[SIZE=14pt]I think Tillys toe nails need clipping, but im to scared and i have heard on here that the vets dont know how to do it. :- " [/SIZE]

What do i do?? where do i go?? woulf one of those pet grooming places know how to do it?? :unsure:

I dont want to cut to much off or anything :b

Kim and Tilly said:
gtt howhowhcketak  time kcsui etiIfyycklyicklyicklyev havesvourrdledingrraseesee lll ttime[SIZE=14pt]I think Tillys toe nails need clipping, but im to scared and i have heard on here that the vets dont know how to do it. :- " [/SIZE]

What do i do?? where do i go?? woulf one of those pet grooming places know how to do it??  :unsure:

I dont want to cut to much off or anything  :b

Hi Kim I groom & encourage all owners to learn to do own dogs nails. If nails are white you can see the quick cut below that and use this length as a guide for how much to take off black nails. If all nails are black take little tip off at a time till you see a dot appearing in middle of cut surface. Dont be nervous! Dogs have tickly feet! If you feel nails should be shorter wait a couple of weeks and do again as quicks go back after nails are cut. Good luck! :luck:

Do all dogs need their toe nails clipped? My girls do a fair bit of road walking, which seems to keep the nails in good shape and at a good length.

if they're getting alot of road walking, the most you'd need is to tidy them up a little, trim off those little jagged splinters they sometimes get. my girl gets them, but then, her feet aren't very neat, so the wear she puts on them isn't completey even.

when cutting nails, i cannot stress enough how careful you have to be! amber twitched when i was doing the last one, my GOD do they bleed!

jean is absolutely right, little at a time

:luck:

How ever much roadwalking mine get , they still need their nails doing a least once a fortnight :- "

JAX said:
How ever much roadwalking mine get , they still need their nails doing a least once a fortnight  :- "
It depends on a lot though JAX, from the quality of the surface they are walked on to the conformation of the foot, from nutritional status to the individual animal's growth rate. It's like humans - some can grow their hair long in a few months, others take years. I know of loads of people who have never clipped their dogs' nails, or needed to.

Thank the stars in heaven Austin only needs his done a couple of times a year - he has to be muzzled and pinned down by The Best Nurse in the World, Ever , which we all really look forward to ... not!

I do Evie's nails about every two weeks, it's a bit nerve racking to start with but

gets better with time. If I were you I'd have a go just take the ends off at first till

you get more confident. :thumbsup:

Julie

[SIZE=14pt]I havent cut her nails since i got her in May...but i am starting to see a bit of white (on her only white nail) so they do need doing. :- " [/SIZE]

I will be brave and get some clippers :sweating:

I always do mine myself although it's not my fave job I usually clip them then smooth them off will the demmel because they are really sharp when clipped, I was always led to believe that whippets wont wear they nails down with road walking as other dogs do as their nails tends to sit on top of the foot rather than be touching the floor :unsure: , mine don't dogs don't down and the are on flags a lot :thumbsup:

Mine all walk their rear nails down road walking mainly because of their gait but I have to dremmel their front nails weekly as I prefer them to be as short as possible for racing.

wild whippies said:
Mine all walk their rear nails down road walking mainly because of their gait but I have to dremmel their front nails weekly as I prefer them to be as short as possible for racing.

[SIZE=14pt]When you say dremmel, do you mean file them down :- " , cause this seems a better option, her nails arent growing really quickly [/SIZE]

Is there a rule we ought to follow when checking our whippets' nails? For example, should the white bit be 1mm long after the quick? More? Less??

And what about any pics of what they should look like?

It'd be really helpful for FAQ :thumbsup: and I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of healthy-length nails and over-long nails to compare.

~Helen~ said:
Is there a rule we ought to follow when checking our whippets' nails? For example, should the white bit be 1mm long after the quick? More? Less??

It'd be really helpful for FAQ :thumbsup: and I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of healthy-length nails and over-long nails to compare.

Me too :unsure: :wacko:

Good idea Helen :thumbsup: I now trim Jillys myself but as there all white it isn't too hard to see what I'm doing and I just use large human nail clippers :thumbsup: It would be good though to see how long or short they should be :thumbsup:

Jakeys nails never need clipped and he's walked the same as Jilly :huggles:

Mine are due for manicures tomorrow, I'll take some piks of what I think is right but bear in mind everyone has their preferances. I'll throw in some links for dremmeling (filing) dogs nails that I've found useful too.

I was sure I answered this one yesterday - but I must not have hit submit post as I don't see my response.

I read on one of your posts that only one of your dog's nails is white - if that's the case then I'd bring your dog to a groomer or vet (yes vets and vet nurses can trim nails quite well - mostly people don't take them is because over time it can get expensive) and get them to teach you. It's WAY too easy to quick a dark nail, so the best thing is to see it done.

We use the dremel on ours (electric grinder) instead of clipping now though we used to clip. We also went through a stage of using a big foot file to file them down.

Do a search on nails on the boards and there have been some really good discussions.

If you want to try the dremel there's a great site with detailed instructions at http://www.doberdawn.com then click on 'how to dremel a dog's nails' on the left.

Wendy

I take the easy route, I get a very good friend to do my girls for me (eh Jaq? :- " ) Tascha is a little darling getting them done, Mysti however, is a totally different story. She hates hers being done, even with me and Jaq holding her, she fights.

I like the idea of dremmeling them. I don't have a dremel though, maybe Jaq could do that for me too :- " :- "

~Helen~ said:

I don't clip mine to a certain lenght just where I think and I would tend to clip less than more just incase, I only use the dremmel for rounding of to take away the sharpness only because it's noisy and I think it would take ages to take the nail down from scratch with one, the hardest part for me is making sure Spry doesn't get her nose dremelled because she insists on trying to get it :wacko:

andrea31 said:
I take the easy route, I get a very good friend to do my girls for me (eh Jaq? :- " ) Tascha is a little darling getting them done, Mysti however, is a totally different story.  She hates hers being done, even with me and Jaq holding her, she fights.I like the idea of dremmeling them.  I don't have a dremel though, maybe Jaq could do that for me too :- :- "

Well there's only one way to find out :lol: My lad Jeebs never did like the nail clippers but he'll happily stand there while I whizz away with the Dremmel. Post some piks in a bit.

My dogs both have white nails - you can see the quick much easier. Oscar dosnt mind having his done too much but Kobi is a bit more scared - but Im getting there - doing them little and often and giving him treats for it. He was a big WUSS to start with and cries out before you even touch the nail (w00t)

Must admit Oscars seem to grown like mad too, even though he gets plenty road walking too, and I try to cut them every couple of weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back