The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Coat Advice For New Whippy Owner?

Evie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Guys,

Yes it's stupid question time from the Newbie. :b

Can you give me advice on what types of coats I would need to get for my new whippet when she arrives. Winter is fast approaching! :(

I'm thinking a washable waterproof one would be best? And perhaps a light coat for wearing home in the car from day trips to the beach if she likes the water?

What kinds of rugs do you use for your's? When do you decide it's time to get the coats on?

Also, anything I should look for/avoid in coats? And how to fit them/know what is the right size?

Many, many questions I know! But I figure I'm better off asking now instead of making unnecessary purchase or something ill fitting for my new dog. :b

There are lots of places to get coats from Evie with different types but I like mine to be waterproof on the outside and furry on the inside nice and warm then, I try to go for the type with adjustable fasteners that clip togther or press studs so you can make bigger or smaller,and they are easier to take of than buckle straps, I also like a coat to cover their bum :huggles:

As for when to put her one on if your cold she'll probably be cold, you'll probably know when the times right :thumbsup:

One word of advice though don't spend a fortune on a puppy sized coat because she will grow out of it in two minutes (w00t) (but if you do you can save it for your next puppy) :D

Have a look in the FAQ section there might be some good places to get coats from :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
ha ha, good luck! :luck:

if there is something that you'll get loads of advice about, its coats, followed by collars and beds :thumbsup:

Hello,

We are very satisfield about the coats from Laney's Jumpers.

We'v tried several coats and I'm only happy about these coats because our whippets can run and play with it without any problem. I've noticed that other coats aren't that confortable. These are also great quality and easy washable. Laney makes knitted coats especially for greyhounds, whippets and lurchers. They're especially made for your dog: you have to take the mesurements of your dog, so they always fit and you can choose the colours you like.

Click here for more information about the jumpers

1maart04.jpg

1maart09.jpg

These are pictures from other dogs with their coat from Laneys:

555_1.jpg

nessie.jpg

61607.jpg

50893.jpg

59038.jpg

53373.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys! 8) I've just been noseying around those sites you recommended.

I really like the Dog polonecks on the Equafleece site, they look good. I also love Laney's Jumpers, Ellen. Are they waterproof? (Lovely pics btw :) )

Thanks for your advice, Lesley. You are right about avoiding buckles. I've spent many a time fussing around horses trying to do them up! :wacko:

Good thinking as well about puppy coats - she is a growing girl! :D Perhaps I should look for cheaper coats for now and get an Equafleece or one of Laney's Jumpers once she is fully grown.

Just one thing, if you have a male pup some designs of fleece are less suitable than others as they don't leave enough of a gap for peeing and can get wet and smelly very quickly. :x

This time of year a waterproof one is advisable; also a fleece to keep them warm through those cold winter nights.

*Lesley* said:
One word of advice though don't spend a fortune on a puppy sized coat because she will grow out of it in two minutes (w00t) (but if you do you can save it for your next puppy) :D
I've actually got some knitting patterns for jumpers for terrier-sized dogs which might be just right for whippet puppies of various sizes, I can scan the pattern if anyone is interested in using up some odds and ends of wool ?

If you can, try and run something up for the puppy yourself, or borrow a coat for now. You will get so little use out of it. I made a coat from an old fleece and an old waterproof kagool. It wasn't amazing, but cost next to nothing. Venture coats are made to measure, but can take some time to arrive, best to wait until pup is fully grown.

http://www.nationalwhippetassoc.uk.com/tra...nture_coat.html

Here is the littl coat I made for my Archie when he was a tiddler :thumbsup: :wub:

Sorry, couldn't get the picture to load :wacko:

Here you go, it wasn't too hard to make

am2.jpg

Awh, He's so sweet! :wub: Good idea, running up his own coat. I'm not a bit good on the sewing machine, but have an aunt who is. I might talk to her about the idea.

The whippy I'm getting is actually a 6mth old female (so thankfully no peeing in the fleecey problems!). How much more growing will she do?

Thanks for the offer of the knitting patten, Moriarte, but my little lady is too big now. I'm sure others will find it useful though.

:) Hi Evie,

Pimms is nearly 7 months old, I bought her the Equafleece in the 'whippet' size as suggested by the lady selling them :D . It fits her fine, but there is still room for her to grow some more :- " .

Those fleeces are great, as they are around the front legs like a jumper they dont move at all. Pimms can turn herself outside in and bound around with hers on and it dosnt move :clown: !

DSC00263.JPG

Gemma, Pimms is a fab name; and a beautiful dog. 8)

Thanks for your help. :)

Joanna, I was looking at you link. Those coats seem reasonably priced. I'd love to see some pics of the good they make. I googled the nameand came up with a thread here from 2004 with photos. I'd really like to see more pics and the different options that they have - Do they have another website by chance?

Evie said:
Gemma, Pimms is a fab name; and a beautiful dog.  8) Thanks for your help.  :)

Joanna, I was looking at you link.  Those coats seem reasonably priced.  I'd love to see some pics of the good they make.  I googled the nameand came up with a thread here from 2004 with photos.  I'd really like to see more pics and the different options that they have - Do they have another website by chance?

Hi again,

Sue Ward makes the coats, they don't actually have a website, but she does a small catalogue. Most colours are available, and if you phone her (leave a message if she isn't in) you can get pretty much whatever you want. My Archie has a green coat with fur lining, and many of the racing people have them. She did some special St George Cross ones for the footie this year too.

Jo

Joanna, you are a star! :D

Thanks for fining that for me!

If anyone's got any outgrown puppy-sized coats they'd like to auction the money could go to the Tilly fund?

I've got two types for mine.

One water proof shower mac, with just a cotton lining. This is for walks in pouring rain and the autumn / early spring. These were from Jay Coats. I also have The Blizzard waterproof, fleece lined coats for cold winter. I bought these from Jans Gifts. Blizzard coats are available on many sights but found to be cheapest on Jans. :thumbsup: I don't bother with Fleecey types.

Try the Greyhound and Whippet shop ........Daves always very helpful :thumbsup:

Greyhound and Whippet shop .......

Plus Vicky on k9 also does coats :thumbsup: ...........Sue and Terry's coats are lovely but the prices may have now gone up ..........Its lovely to see a photo of my Incas dad though on their catalogue :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back