The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Coat Advice For New Whippy Owner?

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Evie, ive tried all different kinds of coats & i like "Equafleece" the best :thumbsup:

Save your money , buy a waterproof one if you must , But if you are busy walking your dog it shouldnt need a coat , it comes with a good one attached :- "

Unless of course you live somewhere REALLY cold .

I only have coats if we go to a show and its p***ing it down .

and NO Im not mean :oops: :lol:

Welcome to K9

jackie and the MULCAIR Whippets ( well loved and warm )

JAX said:
Save your money , buy a waterproof one if you must  , But if you are busy walking your dog it shouldnt need a coat , it comes with a good one attached  :- "
Unless of course you live somewhere REALLY cold .

I only have coats if we go to a show and its p***ing it down .

and NO Im not mean  :oops:   :lol:

Welcome to K9

jackie and the MULCAIR Whippets ( well loved and warm )

how mean!!!

I'm not much better, I think they like a nice shiver, its good for them :- "

and that does include my precious little iggies :wub:

edited to say, only if its dry - I wouldn't dream of sending them out without a coat in the wet - well, maybe drizzle :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
daledogs said:
how about Winnie the Pooh and Tigger for colds days
I dare not show my kids this picture, the youngest adores Pooh Bear, she would be demanding that the new dog gets one of these!! (w00t)

I had a look at the greyhound and whippet shop. I'll be honest here. Poor websites put me off from the get go. :( They could be the best coats in the land, but if the website isn't well laid out and informative, I switch off. I know that a fancy website doesn't mean the best rugs; but when your a newbie like me, you need things explaining to you........ or am I just really slow..... :oops:

;)

Evie said:
daledogs said:
I dare not show my kids this picture, the youngest adores Pooh Bear, she would be demanding that the new dog gets one of these!! (w00t)

I had a look at the greyhound and whippet shop. I'll be honest here. Poor websites put me off from the get go. :( They could be the best coats in the land, but if the website isn't well laid out and informative, I switch off. I know that a fancy website doesn't mean the best rugs; but when your a newbie like me, you need things explaining to you........ or am I just really slow..... :oops:

;)

i got the pooh ones off ebay..............thought i just mention it :- " :- " :lol: :lol:

daledogs said:
Evie said:
daledogs said:

;)

i got the pooh ones off ebay..............thought i just mention it :- " :- " :lol: :lol:

Dawn.You're a nutter!

Have to agree with you Evie, I have more confidence now I know what I want, but my first purchase was the Venture coat so I knew what I was getting :thumbsup:

I have a Blizzard for my second whip, it was cheaper, but not so good as the Venture, I do like made to measure, or at least try onable :thumbsup:

Joanna said:
daledogs said:
Evie said:
daledogs said:

;)

Dawn.You're a nutter!

Have to agree with you Evie, I have more confidence now I know what I want, but my first purchase was the Venture coat so I knew what I was getting :thumbsup:

I have a Blizzard for my second whip, it was cheaper, but not so good as the Venture, I do like made to measure, or at least try onable :thumbsup:

Me a nutter?????????? what a earth are you thinking Jo?

I JUST MAD :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

You have me as bad as the kids now.... :b

I've been on ebay looking at pooh bear dog coats. - But I didn't buy any, lol. I think the neighbours would think I've totally lost the plot if I had a dog wearing one of those. :wacko:

Esthermax said:
Hi Evie, ive tried all different kinds of coats & i like "Equafleece" the best  :thumbsup:
Not so good for males IMO. BUT for females they are excellent.

You just have to watch how far the sides come down or you have a whippet (Mouse in my case :b ) pee'ing on the sides. On the other hand Woody loves his equafleece jumper. He even asks to wear it indoors on coldish days. Somewhere there are photos of him on here modelling his green with leopard spot jumper.

Apart from that all of my dogs have Venture coat waterproofs and they do the job well. :thumbsup:

Whippets being walked in winter without their coats. Jax (w00t) I'm shocked. You and Dawn. Tsch! It's one of the delights of owning whippets buying them nice coats to walk out in. That and nice beds and nice collars and leads. :- "

The Greyhound and Whippet Shop are very reliable, whenever I've ordered summat from them the goods have arrived within a day or so and the coats that I've seen that came from them have been good. So don't judge them by their website.

If like me you like to see the goods and put them on the dog to see what they look like. Equifleece were at a lot of the champ shows the other year. Venture coats normally have a stall at the breed club shows and at the open races and champs.

Evie said:
I also love Laney's Jumpers, Ellen.  Are they waterproof? (Lovely pics btw  :) )
No they aren't waterproof, but if it's raining they don't like to go for a walk even if they're wearing a raincoat

We won't walk for hours in the rain. It's no fun for us and no fun for the dogs, so.. :lol:

Ellen said:
Evie said:
I also love Laney's Jumpers, Ellen.  Are they waterproof? (Lovely pics btw  :) )
No they aren't waterproof, but if it's raining they don't like to go for a walk even if they're wearing a raincoat

We won't walk for hours in the rain. It's no fun for us and no fun for the dogs, so.. :lol:

I ain't so fond of walking in the rain either. :unsure: Your dogs have the right idea, stay inside in the heat!

Unfortunately here in N.I. it's hard to avoid the rain most of the time. :sweating:

Evie said:
When do you decide it's time to get the coats on?

Should I comment :p

No better not :thumbsup:

dawn said:
Evie said:
When do you decide it's time to get the coats on?

Should I comment :p

No better not :thumbsup:

Lol! :lol:

I ordered a bottle green Blizzard from Jan's gifts last week. It was really handy since you can pay them by bank transfer, which I found great. I will post a pic of Will's in it once it arrives. :)

doris said:
I'm not much better, I think they like a nice shiver, its good for them :- "
edited to say, only if its dry - I wouldn't dream of sending them out without a coat  in the wet - well, maybe drizzle :wacko:

How do you arrive at that theory?? You are more likely to incur muscle injury/damage by running dogs with cold muscles.

Why do you think athletes warm up in tracksuits before stripping to vest/shorts for their event and racehorses are walked endlessly round pre-parade and parade rings before cantering down to the start!!

It is done for a purpose and that is to warm up the muscles before strenuous exercise!

I bet you don't go out in the cold without a coat on.

One of the good things about owning whippies is choosing their winter wardrobe :D . I just need Mozz to finish growing so I can measure him up for his, he'll have to make do with hand me downs until then.

Hurry up with the pic of Wilf as bottle green sounds the perfect colour for Mozz. I also have my eye on a snood fleece for Daisy from coats for K9s :wub:

I Like K9 Dog coats too - got Kobis coat from here.

K9 Dog coats

oops forgot to add - mine only wear them when its tossing down, windy or really icy - otherwise they dont really like to wear them that often. but we are hardy northerners. :- " :lol:

Janimal said:
I Like K9 Dog coats too - got Kobis coat from here.
K9 Dog coats

oops forgot to add - mine only wear them when its tossing down, windy  or really icy - otherwise they dont really like to wear them that often. but we are hardy northerners. :- "  :lol:

I had emailed these guys several times with a few questions. I had quite fancied their small whippet coat in wine with the reflective stripes added. I liked the idea of having the strips for safety on the dark evenings. But they never responded, so I went with Jan's gifts website instead.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back