The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Congestive Heart Failure

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So glad to hear he is still enjoying life - I'd been wondering how he was doing :thumbsup: :luck:

I know what you mean about `special one ` Mayzee was mine , even though she has been gone over 2 years hardly a day goes by without my thinking of her . Im lucky that I have her granchildren and more , Peanut ( GT GT GRANDAUGHTER,) although looks nothing like Mayzee has so many of her habits , and not just the good ones LOL

My heart goes out to you with Badger , he sounds quite a character too ;)

just wanted to give you guys an update.....

have had a very shocking and upsetting afternoon.....took James the beagle, Bryn and Badger round to the park...the idea being to let the oldies mooch as normal and get James chasing the ball.

Badger suddenly took off at real speed..James ran after him and ran along side him.....

Badger squealed and fell sideways...I thought James had shoved him but he hadn't.....Badger got up, squealed again and fell the other way....he got up but his front legs were folded at the wrists and he was trying to walk with them bent..he squealed again and went down and stayed down..by this time I was by his side....he made several attempts to get up but kept being unable to straighten his legs properly and kept trying to walk on them all folded up......

After a few minutes of me keeping him lying down, he wanted to get up so i helped him and made sure he was on his front feet.

we managed to walk round the corner to the house and he is in his bed......he is quite trembly and wobbly but ok......( I am quite trembly and not ok :( )

I rang the vets and spoke to one of them and we just have to see how he is in the next 24hrs....if no improvement or it happens again, he needs to go in.

If it starts to happen over the next few days, again he has to go in and I have to make some kind of decision....

..I can't...right now I just can't.

So sorry to hear of your awful day........ lots of love, it's a horrible thing to go through. I said goodbye to my first pony earlier this year, he was 30 and I'd had him since he was 13. It's never easy. Thinking of you :wub:

Holly and the Devon Pixie xx

Thinking of you and Badger .... never easy is it :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

Very best wishes

Gill

xx

Huge hugs for you :huggles: :huggles:

It's so desperately difficult to be in your situation and the anguish that you must have felt when little Badger fell and cried must have been unbearable :(

I do hope it was just one of those momentary bouts which can happen in old age and that he will continue to enjoy his recent improvement in health.

Please give the little lad a gentle hug from me, bless him xx :wub:

How frightening and upsetting for you both - sending great big hugs :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: and loving thoughts.

just wanted to give you guys an update.....
have had a very shocking and upsetting afternoon.....took James the beagle, Bryn and Badger round to the park...the idea being to let the oldies mooch as normal and get James chasing the ball.

Badger suddenly took off at real speed..James ran after him and ran along side him.....

Badger squealed and fell sideways...I thought James had shoved him but he hadn't.....Badger got up, squealed again and fell the other way....he got up but his front legs were folded at the wrists and he was trying to walk with them bent..he squealed again and went down and stayed down..by this time I was by his side....he made several attempts to get up but kept being unable to straighten his legs properly and kept trying to walk on them all folded up......

After a few minutes of me keeping him lying down, he wanted to get up so i helped him and made sure he was on his front feet.

we managed to walk round the corner to the house and he is in his bed......he is quite trembly and wobbly but ok......( I am quite trembly and not ok :( )

I rang the vets and spoke to one of them and we just have to see how he is in the next 24hrs....if no improvement or it happens again, he needs to go in.

If it starts to happen over the next few days, again he has to go in and I have to make some kind of decision....

..I can't...right now I just can't.
Thinking of you, Im so sorry this happened to poor Badge :( r...Im afraid this is what started happening to my Chip too in his latter weeks, and its so scary and heartbreaking.

I hope the decision you make will be the right one for all concerned. :huggles: :huggles:

Give Badger a Hug from me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hugest hugs to you and the gentlest strokes to Badger :huggles: Fingers crossed it's nothing major and a one off. Will be thinking of you both x

So sorry to hear this has happened to Badger. Thinking of you all and hoping for the best.

Sorry to hear this.

It is anguishing to see and hear your dog in distress. :(

This is almost exactly what happened with Foxy in August. It took an hour to get her back on her feet and I had to carry her home.

I could not bear her distress and fear and made the decision that was best for her.

I could not bear for it to happen again or for her to have to be put to sleep in pain and confusion.

It was heartbreaking and miss her huge personality and loving gentle ways.

Gentle hug for Badger :wub:

Thinking of you and Badger.

Gentle hugs to your beautiful boy, and to you too.

Terry x

I am so sorry to hear what has happened to Badger, hopefully it is a one off thing and he is better soon :huggles: Thinking of you too as it must have been so upsetting to witness him in such discomfort and what you are going through :huggles:

thanks guys.

He was a bit trembly when i got in from work and he's lying under the table with his fleecy coat on as he seems to feel the cold....whether that's just his age or his health i'm not sure.

I'm not taking him out today and I'll see how he is the next few days.

He'll be going back to the vets in the next week or sooner depending how he goes.

I've decided not to make a decision until i've had full veterinary opinion because until what happened yesterday, he was doing much better than we had ever hoped and most of the time is bright and chirpy.

I can't decide what's best for him until I know exactly what his options are and how they will effect his quality of life......if he really is on the best heart drug then there is little point putting him on another one and I still won't give him diuretics....his lump in his eyelid is slightly bigger too but so far not effecting him but at some point it will....I guess yesterday just made me accept that he can never have surgery on it anyway.

I was actually very calm when he kept falling down and I was fine until I got off the phone with the vet...I then admit I crumpled a bit and had a cry...facing the loss of a dog doesn't get easier over the years, I think it gets harder and I wish I didn't love them so much :(

on a lighter note, he shrieked for his dinner last night because it was a bit late( a real ear splitting yelp of demand) and to be let out of the kitchen after,which is much like the Badger of old........he also snaffled a minstrel off me when I got in from work today by searching me as I came in the door...although I pretended the minstrel was mine and he was being very cheeky stealing it..it was in my pocket just for him as I've started to bring home one little treat per day just for when I walk through the door. :D

(((hugs))) bless Badger shrieking for his dinner - come on Mum, speed the service up a bit ;)

Thinking of you - very best wishes

Gill

I have just caught up with this thread and I am so very sorry to hear of Badger's illness,the photo's you have posted of him show a truly lovely old man who has the most wonderfully soft expression & I do wish that there was something I could say or do to help. I know it is so hard to even think of saying goodbye to any of our beloved family members but I do honestly think that you will without any doubt know when to call it when the time is right,I just pray that it is a longer rather shorter way off. :huggles: I'm glad that he felt well enough to "give off" to you about the late service of his dinner tho! :)

just thought I'd give you guys another update as Badger has been to the vets this morning...

we took him to the vets for his booster vaccination and a check up....I'll admit I did ask the vet if we should vaccinate due to his shortened life expectancy but after his advice we did.

He was very pleased with Badger and said his heart sounded a lot better than the last time he heard it, he said the murmur although very loud, is less elongated and in general his heart was making crisper cleaner sounds than previously( I'm going to listen to it later with my stethoscope since I heard it at it's worst so even I will be able to hear the improvement :)) )..he said this was an indication that his heart will have reduced in size and changed shape.

He said one side of his heart had poorer valve sounds than the other, the left side being the worst.

I spoke to him about Badgers future and the fact that the lump in his eyelid has got bigger but he felt it still wasn't causing a problem yet( as you know it is a matter of what gets him first..the eye or his heart).

All in all it was a fairly happy visit and the vet reckons he'll definitely make it to Christmas barring a major change, so I am extremely happy that he'll get this Christmas with me as I have ten days off work and would like ten quality days with him.

So unless his eyelid lump suddenly causes a problem or he has a major catastrophe, it's all looking as good as it can :D

That is good to hear. These whippets like to keep us on our toes don't they! Keep us posted as to how he is please.

Take each day as it comes.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back