The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Constant Peeing in House

Stephen_chi_zeus

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hey everyone

We have a 2 year Chihuahua boy who has been neutered. We have two other Chihuahua's in the house (both girls) and a cat.

The problem we are having is that the boy in constantly peeing in the kitchen. When I say constant I meant 10 + times per day. The amount isn't huge but its becoming a big problem.

The peeing has always been there (even before the third chi and cat came along) but it seems to be getting worse (we thought getting him neutered would reduce it) He recently stayed with my fiancées parents whilst we were away on holidays and they said he didn't pee in the house once.

We are beginning to wonder if it is behavioural (ie for attention) as he only pees in the kitchen when we leave the room (even if its only for 5 minutes). He also doesn't pee in the living room but we are always with him in that room.

Does any one have any thoughts / suggestion or experience of this?

Thanks
Stephen

Dogs, particularly ones who have been scolded for toileting indoors, will often create or seek out opportunities to toilet away from you. They associate the toilet with the scolding, not the place with the scolding. So they think if you aren't there, they are safe to toilet in private.

First step is always to rule out any medical cause (it doesn't sound likely, given he was ok at the other house) then right back to basics with toilet training. Take him out, wait with him, when he toilets make it absolutely rain fabulous rewards. Maybe even use a new, unique treat just for outside toilets, like frankfurter sausage, chicken, cheese. Reward him immediately, don't ask for a come or a sit or anything so it is completely clear that it is for toileting and not for something else. Set him up to succeed by aiming to have him out before he needs to toilet so every toilet is outdoors.

If he has an accident indoors, don't react at all, just clean up with an enzymatic cleaner. Enzymes remove any last trace of scent so he is less likely to be tempted back there. You need to leave them down for 10 minutes or so to work properly.

Last edited:
Speak to your vet, they can give you helpful advice and also make sure it's not a medical condition. @JoanneF has given you some great advice so take on board what she has put.

I'd use an enzymatic cleanser as well - but i'd also invest in at least 2 belly-bands to prevent any MORE indoor-pee events, while i was re-training his housetraining habits. :)
I'd line the belly-bands with inexpensive disposable panty-liners, & remove the band only when he exited to potty outside, checking the liner to be sure it was dry, then replacing the liner if needed, & replacing the band B4 i'd let the dog re-enter the house. // Damp or dry, the liner should be changed at least 2X a day, morning during the 1st potty-trip, & evenings during the last one B4 bed.

I presume U're in the UK? - here are some retailers:

Male Dog Belly Band In Stock Now | PetPlanet.co.uk
https://www.petplanet.co.uk/search_adv.asp?sp=Male-Dog-Belly-Band
Male Dog Belly Band available now from PetPlanet.co.uk the UKs #1 Online Pet Store. We offer Free Delivery & Express Delivery options and Guarantee Cheapest prices.

Dog Belly Band | eBay

www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/dog-belly-band
Male Dog Belly Band Wrap Toilet Training Diapers Nappy Sanitary Underwear #G UK. £2.79. Buy it now. Free P&P. 6+ watching; |; 33+ sold. 1 x 1 x Dog Physiological Pants. Hope you can understand. Quality is the first with best service.

Male Dog Nappies & Belly Bands | eBay
Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay › ... › Male Dog Nappies & Belly Bands
Results 1 - 48 of 371 -
Shop from the world's largest selection and best deals for Male Dog Nappies &Belly Bands. Shop with ... Male Dog Belly Band Wrap Toilet Training Diapers Nappy Sanitary Underwear #G UK. £2.79 to £ ... S-L Male Pet Dog Puppy Belly Band Wrap Diaper Nappy Pants Sanitary UnderwearUK. £4.25 to ...

Washable Wonders™ Dog Belly Band | Dog Quality
Washable Wonders™ Dog Belly Band
Rating: 4.3 - ‎27 reviews - ‎£17.94 - ‎In stock
Absorbent dog belly bands provide maximum protection from unwanted accidents caused from dogincontinence and marking in male dogs.

HTH,
- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back