The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cornish Lurcher Championships

Goran

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have recently learnt that the annual Cornish Lurcher Championships organised by Linda & Keith Palmer at The Lurcher Showground will no longer be held due to various reasons, which I will not go into on here, but the home page of their website www.thelurchershowground.co.uk explains all.

Over the years, normally the middle weekend of August many people have experienced the whole 'Palmer' family hospitality & had great fun competing at the most perfect venue, with EVERY aspect of Lurcher work being catered for. I have always maintained that their racetrack is perfect & am fortunate that one of my Lurchers 'Goran' always ran there despite being dogged by endless injuries.

Every year the trophies & rosettes were different & totally unique- again a whole family effort (especially ' Barkingbird' !)

And the sponsorship from Royal Canin dog food (The best ever) was something else.....

Both my Father & I were proud to have judged there over the years.

Unfortunately in the far SW of England we lack events like this, because it did cater for everybody - Personally I think it will be greatly missed, & think that other regulars will be of similar opionion.

Many Thanks again Linda & Keith, & may you enjoy this season & many more racing & showing your own dogs......

PS Linda, your Dad was a great cook !!

What a shame for such an event to go down the tubes ! I was looking forward to maybe going this year, im sure all you ones from South West will miss it. :(

:( Really peed off to hear this, what a shame, i really enjoyed myself the years we have gone, had it down on my list of shows to attend this year,

Sorry, the end of another good show, :( Di

i am sorry to hear this, keith, linda and family were excellent hosts and i have enjoyed going to their shows, good luck to them with their dogs

Another GOOD show gone.. :(

Ive got a lot of memorys from the shows The Cornish Lurcher Showground held.

Its a shame there wont be any more.

All the best to those who ran it.

Joe

That is such a shame, I have judged for them a couple of times, and shown there too. My dogs didn't race or do any of the activities, but we did enjoy watching, it was a superb show ground. Another good event bites the dust.

Its sad to here this, as we were also thinking about coming over for it this year.. :( ahwell we'll just have to think of somewere else now,lol.. :thumbsup:

Rose :))

:( what a shame we were going to come this year .we were only talking about it last night :angry:

What a shame we were up for this show this year wanting to try somewhere different:( :(

Completely agree with Goran's comments.And so sorry that a wonderful opportunity for us all in the SW is no longer available. Regards to all at the Lurcher Showground and many thanks.For those over the years that I have met eg John from Essex.Graham who always drank too much.Carol who shared his van.Jane who always had her Devon flag flying over her tent Bernie and Carol with the late Darcyand many,many others.Plus Joe and his father. OK I was a pain in the *** and my dogs won B*****-All but I always enjoyed the week-end and learnt a lot.And most important of all-ENJOYED IT. For those that have not worked out who I am--remember Tom and Jane from Plymouth? With Monty and Gunner and a landrover with small caravan on the back? Well Monty is no longer with us but no sadness as he had a good run.Gunner is well and now has a new friend Woody a small blonde 3 year old rescued from his breeder Jackie Cullum.Tom also has a new pup now 17 weeks old who is a cross between a Jack and a spaniel.Ideal for working with game. We moved from Plymouth and now live near Holsworthy.Country folk with a couple of acres and various animals.Tom's dream has come true.

So hello again to anyone that remembers us and best wishes to "The Palmers". I hope that the future brings them much happiness.

Completely agree with Goran's comments.And so sorry that a wonderful opportunity for us all in the SW is no longer available. Regards to all at the Lurcher Showground and many thanks.For those over the years that I have met eg John from Essex.Graham who always drank too much.Carol who shared his van.Jane who always had her Devon flag flying over her tent Bernie and Carol with the late Darcyand many,many others.Plus Joe and his father. OK I was a pain in the *** and my dogs won B*****-All but I always enjoyed the week-end and learnt a lot.And most important of all-ENJOYED IT. For those that have not worked out who I am--remember Tom and Jane from Plymouth? With Monty and Gunner and a landrover with small caravan on the back? Well Monty is no longer with us but no sadness as he had a good run.Gunner is well and now has a new friend Woody a small blonde 3 year old rescued from his breeder Jackie Cullum.Tom also has a new pup now 17 weeks old who is a cross between a Jack and a spaniel.Ideal for working with game. We moved from Plymouth and now live near Holsworthy.Country folk with a couple of acres and various animals.Tom's dream has come true.So hello again to anyone that remembers us and best wishes to "The Palmers". I hope that the future brings them much happiness.
i remember graham falling over most of the time and carol, they had two blue pups grahams one broke her leg plus the hairy ones, bernie and carol i remember, do you remember john miles with jet, kizzy and syn, well if you do jet and kizzy have passed away he now has syn, jal and a new pup fawn rough one i vaguely remember you but do remember jane as a few times we ended up in the pub with paul james, what a scream we had at this show and it will be sadly missed by all that went and some come from miles to go there

Last edited by a moderator:
Gutted :( that this show has gone have had a few years of good memorys from this show,it was where i seen my sister and brother in laws dog (Meg) run for the first time and caught the bug for racing and as some might know have had very good fortune with my dogs Ash 2007/2008 over 23' racing champ and Chase 2008 under 23' champ,would of liked the chance to try and get a third maybe this year with Ash but hey ho thats the way somethings go a very good show that will be sorely missed by myself and other members of the family all the best to Keith and Linda and family with there dogs hope to see you around the shows this year Russ and the family.

sorry to hear about this show, it gives us alot of memories over the past 7 yrs and will be sad to see a great venue go to waste. Hope to see you all again in the sport at some point in the future!! (meg loved this show and even though she never really got the hang of the meaning 'jump' in the triple jump or hurdles!! she gave everyone a run for their money!!)

take care and best wishes to linda keith and family, you worked really hard each year to get it going and will leave a blank now in august for most of the cornish!! but time for you to venture about abit with urs. from terry, haylee meg and family

I'm so sorry to hear this :( Last year was the first year for us at this event and we had a great time,We were planing to go again this year.

It's a shame our squiggle will be the last simulated coursing," Cornish champion" I shall remember that final between Squiggle and Di's Skippy for many years (hilarious) talk about a cliff hanger :lol: :lol:

Many thanks to Kieth & Linda and Family.

Good luck with your dogs in the coming years.

All the best,

Kev & Deb

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back