The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Cow Hooves As Chews

lorna anne

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My whippets juts love to lie and chew cow hooves. :D It is good for the teeth/gums and keeps them occupied. I was wondering if they are available in the UK and if other whippet owners also feed them to their dogs? Or have ever had any bad experiences with feeding them? As a precaution I remove the hard tip of the hoove when they reach it, just in case it gets swallowed and causes a blockage. According to my vet who sells these hooves this has happened only once in his experience. :eek: :eek:

Lorna

Interesting :)

We can get pigs' trotters but I have never seen cow hooves - I may ask my butcher if they can get some up from the abbatoir and give it a whirl :thumbsup:

My whippets juts love to lie and chew cow hooves. :D It is good for the teeth/gums and keeps them occupied. I was wondering if they are available in the UK and if other whippet owners also feed them to their dogs? Or have ever had any bad experiences with feeding them? As a precaution I remove the hard tip of the hoove when they reach it, just in case it gets swallowed and causes a blockage. According to my vet who sells these hooves this has happened only once in his experience. :eek: :eek:
Lorna

We have been giving cow hooves to our dogs as treats for decades here in South Africa. I mean just about EVERY pet owner here treats their dogs with them, so if there had been any ill-effects I'm pretty sure we would have known about them now. Some people dip or soak them in boiling water water first which makes them more tasty - according to my whippet tribe. :)

Lorna

We have been giving cow hooves to our dogs as treats for decades here in South Africa. I mean just about EVERY pet owner here treats their dogs with them, so if there had been any ill-effects I'm pretty sure we would have known about them now. Some people dip or soak them in boiling water water first which makes them more tasty - according to my whippet tribe. :)

my dogs love cows hooves and pigs ears i have never had any problems with either cow hooves or pigs ear i have been told pigs ears put on weight maybe that is true as my dogs have been a little over weight

Are the hooves that any of you (or all of you get) meat filled ?

The hooves mine were having seemed too small to be a cows hoof and the stuff that they were filled with made one of my dogs very constipated ,so stopped giving them those . Tripesticks for mine mostly as a treat :)

Lorna
My dogs love them,buy them in town ( WILKINSONS)and I buy cows ears instead of pigs( 50 in abox)

I buy large boxes of cows hooves for mine at a local pet shop...she orders them in for me.

They are usually black or brown in colour...and I go for the unfilled type.(hollow cows hooves) Then I use fillings of my own.....pate....mashed up meat left overs

and cream cheese......they love them and keeps them busy for ages. :thumbsup:

what I like most about them is there are no no bits to break off and swallow...because Kobi lately has been swallowing the half eaten pigs ears

and bringing them back up...

Last edited by a moderator:
I give my dogs cow hooves too. I also give the unfilled ones as i found the filled ones made my dogs a little loose. They will sit for hours chewing them. The only drawback with them is the smell that comes off them when the dogs have been chewing them for a while. Has anyone else noticed this??

I give my dogs cow hooves too. I also give the unfilled ones as i found the filled ones made my dogs a little loose. They will sit for hours chewing them. The only drawback with them is the smell that comes off them when the dogs have been chewing them for a while. Has anyone else noticed this??
Sorry ,but could that smell be your feet :b

The smell is :x :x :x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back