The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Crate Training And Collars

llannon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, I should be collecting my new puppy in a couple of weeks time, and have spent the last few weeks doing my research...

One thing I am not sure on is as I slowly get my whippet pup used to wearing a collar, should I then be taking it off everytime he goes in his crate, or is it okay to leave it on?

Also with regard to collars, should a whippet have a 'whippet' collar, or is this just personal preference?

Many Thanks,

Matt

Mine always keep their collars on in the crate. I suppose it's personal preference. They soon get use to wearing them.

When they are a 'new' pup a little soft cat collar / small fabric dog collar will do. A proper Whippy collar can wait until the pup grows up a bit.

:luck: with your new baby

Many Thanks for the quick reply...I was mainly curious from a safety point of view

On my crate there is nothing the collars could get caught up on, so i don't have any safety concerns. I know some people don't have collars on their dogs in the house at all. I like to keep one on them at all times, just in case they get out (not that the Whippets would go anywhere, they're too homely :lol: )

Someone used our Bandit as a stud last year and kept a bitch puppyout of the litter. When the pup was about 12 weeks the womenphoned me in tears .They had gone Christmas shopping and left the bitch and the pup in the kitchen. When they returned she could only find the older bitch she went into the kitchen and found the pup it had jumped up at the kitchen cupboards and managed to hook its collar over the handle of the cupboard the pup was dead it had strangled itself

I once went to a show and on my return put my Owen into his night crate whilst I fetched the other dogs in he still had his collar on When they were all in the house I went to take Owen's collar of and he'd lay down and caught the buckle through the bars fortunately he didn't panic.

If you want to leave a collar on I would use one of the cat ones that come undone if caught just incase.

Oakmoorehill, I remember that incident well, and now I NEVER leave collars on the dogs at home if they are unsupervised. I certainly wouldn't leave one on in a crate if you're not there. It's just not worth the risk. Good question and good luck :luck:

personally, i dont have collars on in the house, only for walking / going out...

My father in law said this reiforces the point to the dogs that they dont go out the house until they have a collar on, thus stopping them running out the door

Nope wouldn't leave a collar on a dog unsupervised as I've heard too many horror stories :( Alfie actually has a house collar and a walking collar so he knows when he will be going for 'walkies' (w00t)

LasVegasNo1 said:
Nope wouldn't leave a collar on a dog unsupervised as I've heard too many horror stories :( Alfie actually has a house collar and a walking collar so he knows when he will be going for 'walkies' (w00t)
Same here Las Vegas (w00t)

Trouble is we do sometims have a bit of a nigtmare surge if you accidentally knock one of the leads or collars on the hooks. How on earth do they here the slightest noise when they are fast asleep (w00t)

The story of the pup getting caught on the kitchen unit has always stayed with me, I would never ever want to risk something like that :(

Good luck with your new pup :luck:

TC said:
Trouble is we do sometims have a bit of a nigtmare surge if you accidentally knock one of the leads or collars on the hooks. How on earth do they here the slightest noise when they are fast asleep  (w00t)

:lol: :lol: We have exactly the same problem, and I feel so guilty when they have got their hopes up for no reason :oops:

Mine never wear collars in the house either, I always think it is like wearing your outdoor shoes all the time!!

Our pup Kiah had a small puppy quick release collar from the day she arrived, complete with an ID tag just in case she managed to get out of the garden. :- "

She had this at 8 weeks and still wears it most of the time (now 18 weeks) - on walk we use a small whippet type collar to avoid her chocking when pulling :blink:

She does keep it on in her crate but I would advise taking it off when they are very young and the collar very loose in case it snags.

All the best with your pup :luck: - look forward to seeing some photos

Last edited by a moderator:
Many Thanks for all the replies...After reading that story I will be leaving the collar off!

Dont forget a collar is always a good means of ID for your dog if its not been chipped yet - the little key ring type barrels with a slip of paper for contact details are good.

As i said, each to there own. How many dogs have their collars left on - how many end up getting strangled? Chances must be about 1 in a million. Depending on the collar, if they are in a crate i think it's very safe. IMO!!! I don't leave mine roaming around when im out where they could get a collar hooked.

It's like everything, people go into a mass panic when they see a horror story, even though the probabilty of it happening is extremely slim.

I think mass panic is a bit harsh, but as you say it's personnal preference, I know I personally wouldn't be happy leaving my dog with a collar on unsupervised. Maybe I have heard one too many horror stories, the ones I will never forget is the one Jo mentioned earlier and the puppy who hung herself in the back of her owners car :( I suppose it's a bit like wearing a seatbelt, the chances of needing it are slim, but I would rather be safe than through the windscreen! (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
All our collars come off with the leads. Broader collars are kinder to long necks. If you plan to show your dog it is important to remember that leaving a collar on will mark the hair and effect the dogs line. Good luck with the pup :luck:

I do not leave collars on my dogs, they are microchipped and show dogs. But I do put little elastic cat collars on little pups, they can easily slip out of them if they get caught. And caught they do get, I am for ever searching the garden for their collars. :) However, the only reason I leave the collars on is that they get used to having something around their necks early on. Once they are comfortable with them I do not bother.

Best of luck with your new baby, looking forward to lots of pics. :)

I never leave my dogs alone in the house with collars on, cannot see the need for them to wear collars at home. Even though it is a very small risk of them getting caught up on something I still hate to think it could happen.

One dogs accidental death is one death too many.

:luck: with your pup.

I have just bought 2 new crates from 2 different manufacturers.BOTH of them said to REMOVE collars before leaving dogs alone in them. I NEVER leave collars on while crated as I have been a friend to 2 people who have had dogs hung this way :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back