The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Crates

Perdita

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
we are picking up our mini schnauzer puppy today and are undecided whether to buy a crate. we have had dogs in the past without a crate and would like to know what the benefits to the puppy are in having one. Does the puppy then have the crate forever? do they tend to guard the crate and always want to go in it as we want him to be a big part of the family. We have three children so were thinking it might be good for him to have his own space.

Hope someone can help me decide.

Karen.

Hi Karen

Cages are a real asset, firstly you know when you go out that when you come back everythings going to be in the same state as you left if and not chewed to bits, it also means you're pup will be safe from chewing anything that might harm it while you are out (electric wires ect)

A cage like you said gives the pup a place to feel is theres a place they can go for a bit of peace & quiet when things get to much.

Most people seem to agree that crates are a good idea as long as they aren't shut in there for too long. You could buy a really big one and put the kids in it instead. Only joking :D

Last edited by a moderator:
We didn't use a crate for our first dog, and he was a nightmare to housetrain and he ransacked the house every time he was left, :w so we did use a crate for our second dog and I think it really helped with the house training. He didn't actually ever choose to go in it of his own accord, but didn't object too much to it as it was nice and cosy, and he had always been wlaked and fed before hand so he was tired with a nice full tummy and ready for a long snooze. Our puppy loves her crate, she goes in there of her own free will to sleep sometimes, not always.

I've not experienced any of them guarding the crate, but as you say it will be his own space and obviously of the pup is in there the children should know that he wants some peace and to respect that fact.

Hope the puppy has started to settle in well. :D

A crate is a good idea, we got one when we got Pixel, she was 11 wks old and is a greyhound/bedlington x whippet and boy could she wreck the place :w we put it away when she was about a year old, we still have to keep things out of reach but shes not so bad now

When I foster greyhounds and bring out the crate, she tries to go into it every time, so she def. liked her little space n there, it was hers and it was large enough because it was originally my mums for a rhodesian ridgeback, I would have kept it had it not been so big as I only live in a flat

I have a crate in good condition, but I have also found a crate that was dumped for an obvious reason - the coating on the wires has partly peeled off and the wires are rusting. Otherwise the crate still folds up and down and seems strong enough. Would it be worthwhile going over it all with wirewool and/or rust remover and repainting it; what paint would be safe to use? Or is this crate perilous to pets?

I hadnt used a crate till people on K9 gave me brilliant advice and also my whippets breeder so I went out and bouthgt a second hand one.

It has been a godsend - Oscar loved being in there from day one and felt safe at night - as I also have 3 cats and didnt want them tearing around after them at night time.

I got Kobi when Oscar was about 8 months old - so then Kobi used the crate - now they both sleep on a sofabed downstairs with a baby safety gate on the room door - so now the room is like their 'giant crate' - but hey I wouldnt have been without mine when they were puppies. :thumbsup:

I know some people also feed their dogs in their too especially if you have others that like to nick their food. (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO crates are a godsend, you can leave dogs with the peace of mind that they are safe and secure.

i havent used a crate with my pups. we leave them in the kitchen overnight and when we go out and they have not chewed anything in the kitchen, and are really well behaved, also they are used to all the household situations they could ever encounter through not been put away. although i have used cages before if i have had a injured dog, so they do have their uses.

Perdita said:
we are picking up our mini schnauzer puppy today and are undecided whether to buy a crate.  we have had dogs in the past without a crate and would like to know what the benefits to the puppy are in having one.  Does the puppy then have the crate forever? do they tend to guard the crate and always want to go in it as we want him to be a big part of the family.  We have three children so were thinking it might be good for him to have his own space.Hope someone can help me decide.

Karen.

The only benifits of using a crate is they are good for house training pup's, and for keeping them safe when your out :D (oh and in season girls)...........As my pup's mature I tend to stop using a crate ......Over the years I have seen breeders who keep their dogs almost continually caged, due to more dogs than they can properly manage, or disorder in the pack through lack of training and proper understanding of dogs :wacko: .....so it took me a while befor I gave a crate a go, ......but they are a great training aid IMHO,and as long as they arn't "over used", your pup will adjust to them easily :D ....... :luck: :luck: with your pup ......we really do need photo's :thumbsup:

I have uesd a creat before for foster dogs that were here just for a few days. but indys the first pup I have had so we got her her own creat. She only goes in it at night and when were out whitch isnt very offnted there is nearly allways someone in. But it has saved me worrying if she is ok or up to no good when were out and it allso gived the other 7 some peace from her over night its a god send but as she gets older she will be in it less and less.

I would not like to see a dog in them all the time. I dontr think they learn houes rules and dont het any stiulisyion from there surroundings. I wouldnt like to be locked up all the time just let out for the tolet.

I used a crate for Dolly and found it really helped with housetraining. Also, as already said, it saved the kitchen from being destroyed overnight or if we were out. :- " :- " She never objected to going in the crate and treated it as her own space. It is important not to leave a puppy in the crate for too long though.

Dolly doesn't use her crate now. She will be two next Feb and seems to have stopped any chewing, but we bought her a soft collapsible cage for when we go on holiday in our caravan and for travelling in the car. She really loves it and got in herself every evening after we came back from some lovely long walks (I think she was tired out!!). :)

Macha said:
I have a crate in good condition, but I have also found a crate that was dumped for an obvious reason - the coating on the wires has partly peeled off and the wires are rusting. Otherwise the crate still folds up and down and seems strong enough. Would it be worthwhile going over it all with wirewool and/or rust remover and repainting it; what paint would be safe to use? Or is this crate perilous to pets?
no one has answered my question yet

Sorry but wouldnt know the answer :D

I use crates for night times only for 2 of my dogs, both are young and one is male so i wanted him to have his "own" area away from the girls , the other 2 are loose in the consevertory and my whippet is in my bed -_- i do feed the 2 that sleep in crates in them and often during the day they will go and sleep in them quite happily, if you do decide to use one NEVER tell your dog of and put it away into the crate to learn it must always be a nice place to be not punishment, also put the paper for a puppy to wee/poo on at the far end of the cage from the door so it dosnt tread in it all and then jump all over the bedding and you...i learnt the messy way :x

Good luck and dont forget to post some pic's.

My first lurcher pup used an indoor kennel from the day we got her at 7 weeks until about 6months old, she was fully house trained in 2weeks and never chewed anything she shouldn't, BRILLIANT :) My rescue Bedlington arrived at 4months, went into the crate on the first night and screamed the house down,as our neighbour is a fireman & just off a shift we had no choice but to let the beddy out :D End of crate o:) He took longer to housetrain and chewed things everytime he was left for quite a few months :- " he is now 5 and whenever I foster kits or pups he goes straight into the crate as he now loves it :rant: little sod!!

The new lurcher pup is great, she came at 11weeks from a house where there was pee & poo all over the floor & now she goes in of her own choice and was housetrained really quickly.

Maybe this means that crates work or maybe it means that bitches are just smarter than dogs :D

I would definatley recommend a crate not just for your possessions but for their safety as they can get into trouble in a second if given free reign while your out, mine sleep in there and go in while I'm out they also sleep in there if they feel like it when I'm in because the door is open they see it as their space :thumbsup:

Macha I'm not sure about repainting the crate because you would need to respray it and I'm not sure what sort of paint would be suitable for that sort of thing especially as they might chew it, with toxins in paint and such, if I were you i would strip it down totally and leave it bare making sure there are no hard sharp bits I wouldn't use any chemicals just wire wool then wipe all the residue off afterwards some crates aren't coated with that plastic stuff so I don't see why it wouldn't be ok, but I'm no expert just my oppinion :thumbsup:

*Lesley* said:
I would definatley recommend a crate not just for your possessions but for their safety as they can get into trouble in a second if given free reign while your out,  mine sleep in there and go in while I'm out they also sleep in there if they feel like it when I'm in because the door is open they see it as their space :thumbsup:
Macha I'm not sure about repainting the crate because you would need to respray it and I'm not sure what sort of paint would be suitable for that sort of thing especially as they might chew it, with toxins in paint and such, if I were you i would strip it down totally and leave it bare making sure there are no hard sharp bits I wouldn't use any chemicals just wire wool then wipe all the residue off afterwards some crates aren't coated with that plastic stuff so I don't see why it wouldn't be ok, but I'm no expert just my oppinion :thumbsup:

this crate rusts so it would have to be protected someway or other

Macha said:
*Lesley* said:
I would definatley recommend a crate not just for your possessions but for their safety as they can get into trouble in a second if given free reign while your out,  mine sleep in there and go in while I'm out they also sleep in there if they feel like it when I'm in because the door is open they see it as their space :thumbsup:

this crate rusts so it would have to be protected someway or other

don't know then really, maybe a spray paint if you can check it's not poisonous to the dogs :unsure:

i just got a crate for 38 quid delivered off 'an online auction site'.. when they are that cheap, i dont think its worth messing about with an old one (and i will dive into a skip with gusto for something that is worth scrounging!) :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back