The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Diet For Dogs

em21

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello everyone :)

Now, I have been feeding Dudley Eukanuba puppy complete... he is a little bored of this and I am finding myself adding little extras to get him to look abit more excited about his food :lol: It looks bloomin horrible... not what a dog should maybe be eating :blink: So I have been looking into a natural diet/ BARF and as usual, its all very controversial :huh:

I know there have been several discussions on here regarding BARF etc but I cant find them :rant: Could I have have some little opinions from you guys? What do you feed yours on, any preference and why? Also a mini idiots guide to BARF would be really useful (Not that im an idiot :lol: well... maybe sometimes :clown: )... im concerned that if i went ahead with it, i wouldnt be fully meeting Dudleys nutritional needs, miss some vital ingredient out :oops:

Thanks in advice :thumbsup:

Emma and Dudley

xxx

I'd be far more concerned that I wasn't feeding my dog properly by feeding them a complete

We are strong believers in feeding a natural/raw diet.

Our pups were weaned on to it and all of our adult dogs are fed this way too.

As a rough idead of what they are fed on a daily basis. They get 2 meals a day, so in the morning it may be 3 chicken wings then in the evening tripe/mince with a wholemeal mixer with perhaps some carrot thrown in. Or the may have sardines one night with the wholemeal mixer and a raw egg. Also a couple of times a week they have a big raw meaty rib bone in place of their evening meal. They also get extras like, pasta, natural yoghurt cottage cheese on occasion.

And any left over veg from our dinner will also get chucked in their bowls for their meal that evening.

I think feeding a natural diet results in a happy, healthy dog, it is seen to improve behavioural issues and also skin, coat problems.

I certainly wouldn't think twice about feeding it over a Complete full of horrid additives :- " And also which do you think sounds more appealing to a dog a bowl full of dried biscuits or some lovely meat, fish etc??

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yes, this is what i was thinking to be honest ;) Thankyou for that Rachel, deffinately food for thought (no pun intended :lol: )

Emmaxxx

emma whats not mentioned by rachel is that you have to freeze all the meat before hand. fine if you have a big freezer or room for a 2nd freezer. but wee just have a small one and struggle with fitting our food in it let alone the dogs too.

saying that though if we did have room i would definatly move my girls on to the barf diet, they go mad for chicken wings so i would love to be giving them a dinner which they would love just as much.

if you have the means to do it then id go for it.

dont know if im aloud to say, but the whippet forum as a step by step photographed guide on how to make up the barf diet

http://www.thewhippetforum.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=6327

:thumbsup:

Yes that is true, we bought a second hand chest freezer from the local paper and it is used solely for the dogs meat.

The other alternative is feeding Nature Diet. If we were unable to feed raw then this is definitely the way I would go.

There are lots of similar products - Natures Menu, Nature Diet etc.

Perhaps this is something that you could look into.

Why do you have to freeze them first? If I bought chicken wings would I have to freeze then defrost before giving them or is it just for storage? (Sorry, im going to end up asking lots of questions :b )

Emma xxx

Just for storage.

Obviously, you would be buying in bulk. So at the moment, I have about 70lbs of meat, bags of ribs and chicken wings in the freezer.

I order everything from http://www.landywoods.co.uk/ and I know a lot of people use this comany http://www.tpms.co.uk/ and are very happy with them.

Thanks guys :thumbsup: Right next question..... Do you give the chicken wings etc whole? or do you mush it all up?

Emma xxx

Everything whole. I know some people are scared about feeding chicken wings etc but we really have never had a problem - just make sure they are supervised.

Out 17 week old pup tried his first rib the other day and absolutely loved it.

You may be happier just giving your pup chicken wing tips to begin with :)

rls22 said:
I'd be far more concerned that I wasn't feeding my dog properly by feeding them a completeWe are strong believers in feeding a natural/raw diet. 

Our pups were weaned on to it and all of our adult dogs are fed this way too. 

As a rough idead of what they are fed on a daily basis.  They get 2 meals a day, so in the morning it may be 3 chicken wings then in the evening tripe/mince with a wholemeal mixer with perhaps some carrot thrown in.  Or the may have sardines one night with the wholemeal mixer and a raw egg.  Also a couple of times a week they have a big raw meaty rib bone in place of their evening meal.  They also get extras like, pasta, natural yoghurt cottage cheese on occasion. 

And any left over veg from our dinner will also get chucked in their bowls for their meal that evening. 

I think feeding a natural diet results in a happy, healthy dog, it is seen to improve behavioural issues and also skin, coat problems. 

I certainly wouldn't think twice about feeding it over a Complete full of horrid additives :- " And also which do you think sounds more appealing to a dog a bowl full of dried biscuits or some lovely meat, fish etc??

Rachel, Forgive me but I can't remember if it was you or your sister who recommended Landywood Foods to me. We had our first delivery last Wednesday and crikey, our two have been going mad for the food I ordered (tripe and meat and veg mix). I'd be lying if I said that the food had a lovely fragrance but I have never seen our Kiah in particular so enthusiastic about a meal. Thanks for the recommendation!

That's brill!!

I can only imagine the look I would get if I presented any of ours with a bowl of boring biscuits instead of stinky tripe! :lol:

rls22 said:
Just for storage.  Obviously, you would be buying in bulk.  So at the moment, I have about 70lbs of meat, bags of ribs and chicken wings in the freezer. 

I order everything from http://www.landywoods.co.uk/ and I know a lot of people use this comany http://www.tpms.co.uk/ and are very happy with them.

i was under the impression you had to freeze it for 48hours to kill any bugs that may be lingering? :unsure: is this not the case? plus does the meat not come frozen??

as much as i have the money to buy a freezer for dog food i do not have the space for one, my kitchen is a shoe box with room for about 1 person at a time. and as we do not have a garage and our shed is the far end of the garden there is no where else to put one.

i will look into the natures menu stuff. :thumbsup:

Not heard that one about freezing it for 48 hours, but I suppose it would be anyway.

It is kept frozen at the company who deliver it and therefore it arrives frozen and then goes straight into the freezer at home. I then just get a couple of bags out each night before I go to bed and put them out to defrost.

faq section has a bit on barf,

this is not where i read about the freezing but it does mention it,

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=6329

Neospora is a parasite that is ingested from contaminted meat, that is fresh, and from the consumption it only takes 1-3 days for the parasite to attack the brain, then work its way down the spinal cord, and infect all the major organs and mussles.......leaving the dog paralised and blind

It can only be ingested fron fresh meat, as freezing the meat will kill the spors.... cooked meat will kill the spors. As we eat very little meat ourselves, and never feed fresh uncooked meat to our dogs , I can definatly say that it was the fresh lean mince steak from tesco, that is the cause.

sounds rather nasty :(

k4tie-d said:
faq section has a bit on barf, this is not where i read about the freezing but it does mention it,

http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=6329

Neospora is a parasite that is ingested from contaminted meat, that is fresh, and from the consumption it only takes 1-3 days for the parasite to attack the brain, then work its way down the spinal cord, and infect all the major organs and mussles.......leaving the dog paralised and blind

It can only be ingested fron fresh meat, as freezing the meat will kill the spors.... cooked meat will kill the spors. As we eat very little meat ourselves, and never feed fresh uncooked meat to our dogs , I can definatly say that it was the fresh lean mince steak from tesco, that is the cause.

sounds rather nasty :(

:eek: Gosh, that does sound nasty Katie! Well I suppose if it comes frozen then that will kill it, but i will bear that in mind if I do buy anything fresh... I will be freezing it first :thumbsup: Thanks for that :cheers:

Emma xxx

Emma, I feed my boy Natures Menu and he loves it. I mix it with wholemeal mixer so he gets a crunch and you can get a box with 4 different flavours which means he gets different tastes and it has vegetables and rice in. I also give him fish and chicken and he looks good on it.

Lisa

I feed both of mine dry. I put Eskil on Nutro Choice but since that has been bought out by Pedigree I now gonna put him on Arden Grange. Popsy's currently on fish Orijen but might switch him to the salmon Arden Grange too, otherwise I will have to get their food from two different places. both seem to do very well. oh, and I also mix it with a bit of wet food.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back