The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Diet For Whippets

Moomers

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, i'm new to this website :) and have a 17 month old rescue whippet. I've had him for about 6 months so far and am a little worried i'm feeding him the wrong stuff. I met a dog walker in the park who said too much protein isn't good for whippets and i feed my whippet science plan in the morning (21% protein) followed by raw tripe/burns tinned lamb, rice and veg with a little science plan mixed in for dinner. I just wondered if anyone can help, i found a few threads, but nothing about hills science plan.

Personaly I'd ditch the Science plan and stick to the tripe with mixer/veg

Welcome to k9

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree no need the the siance plan its very overpriced for the qulity aswell

Thanks for the advice - do you have any alternative suggestions for the complete/dry mix? I was also told that too much ash isn't good for whippets because of their kidneys and i'm struggling to find a dry food/mixer that balances ash and protein. The science plan had the lowest ash content, but higher protein.

If you feed ANY complete foods DO NOT add / mix anything with it as you will completly unbalance the diet.

Complete means just that :p

I dislike science plan as well, but regarding the 21% protein - that's a perfectly normal protein level for an adult dog, any less than that would be what I call ''diet food'' for porkie dogs that need to slim down, a whippet would waste away on that.

If you feed ANY complete foods DO NOT add / mix anything with it as you will completly unbalance the diet.
so does that mean complete from JRT to a great Dane for a racing dog or a couch hound? diet is about knowing your dogs, what conditions what is a waste of time and sometimes that means feeding supplements to a complete mix its impossible to say do not add etc as some dogs need that little extra some dont some will will never cope with kibble, some will

so does that mean complete from JRT to a great Dane for a racing dog or a couch hound? diet is about knowing your dogs, what conditions what is a waste of time and sometimes that means feeding supplements to a complete mix its impossible to say do not add etc as some dogs need that little extra some dont some will will never cope with kibble, some will
I often think about changing mine over to a BARF diet, but OH not too happy about the idea. :(

It is often said not to add anything to complete foods in order not to unbalance the diet, but when feeding BARF, how can one possibly know what percentage of protein/carbohydrate etc you are actually feeding. I am sure raw food is far better for our dogs, but surely a BARF diet will vary from day to day and cannot really be that exact, just as our diets aren't exact (I've really no idea about the percentages of protein etc in my diet) :unsure: , but try to have everything in moderation (well except chocolate!!).

I always add something to enhance my dogs' evening meal. My friend is a pet food nutritionist and she does the same. Between us we have 6 dogs and they all look marvellous fed this way.

Actually, "complete and balanced" as a pet food label just means that in a short feeding trial that no animals eating the diet showed major signs of nutrtional deficiencies. The definitions also require that the food not be deficient in any major known nutrient. So, make up a diet, feed it to a dog for 6 months, and if his hair and teeth don't fall out, and some blood tests still look OK.....it's complete and balanced! The dog food industry is a little scary....

red mills tracker etc and many of the greyhound base diets are complete resting feeds or able to be added to unlike many of the bog standard shop shite complete foods

I would love to feed my whippet a fresh diet of meat and veg etc, but i can see that i would need to add some kind of dry food. All the mixers i have found seem to have a very high ash content, which i was told by the recue centre isn't good for their kidneys, the red mills for example has 9% ash. I also know that sometimes my diet goes to total crap, i would just worry that i might not have fresh food for him every single day for whatever reason, at least with the complete mix i def have a balanced diet for him (and meat which he loves!!). Does anyone have any complete mixes that they think might be ok and perhaps a mixer that doesn't have such a high ash content (or know about ash related to kidney probs)?

Thanks for putting my mind at rest about the protein, i was really worried 21% was too much.

I've never ever before have heard anything about the ash content, not saying that the information is incorrect or correct.

I feed Arden Grange and they have 7% ash too.

Most complete food companies do food for active,small breed , large breed etc Ive yet to find one that does just one sort

I feed mine a complete , not all are on the same one however , as I have whippets from 5 months ( puppy diet) to 12 years (senior diet ) 8)

I've never ever before have heard anything about the ash content, not saying that the information is incorrect or correct.

james wellbeloved has 7% aswell,

i think a lot of people use laughing dog bicuits when feeding raw, but i may be wrong, never fed them myself so cant help with the ash content :b

james wellbeloved has 7% aswell,

i think a lot of people use laughing dog bicuits when feeding raw, but i may be wrong, never fed them myself so cant help with the ash content :b
Laughing Dog mixer has 1.4% Ash, whereby Winalot mixer which Bluebell and Daisy prefer is 6.5% Ash...off now to investigate Ash in Dog food...

This is from one website - apparently Ash content is the mineral content in the feed...How confusing

To ensure bone and tissue development and proper functioning of the body, the correct mineral level must be followed. It is crucial that you choose a complete and balanced pet food and has been formulated by a certified nutritionist and produced by a competent manufacturer.

The measurement of total mineral content of any pet food is described in general terms as its ash content. Ash is determined by burning a particular pet food at 600 degrees for two hours – the remaining non-combustible residue is known as ash. Ash contains calcium, phosphorus, sodium chloride, potassium, and other minerals, which are essential nutrients. A diet low in ash may not supply all the minerals a pet needs which could cause a mineral deficiency and subsequent health problems.

Some minerals are affected by the process of extrusion and this is dealt with in two ways. First specific forms are used that are more heat stable yet still biologically active. This can include cross-linking, beading and encapsulation to name a few. Secondly, higher than normal amounts are put into the precooked mix of certain minerals that are especially vulnerable to ensure that the proper amounts are left after the cooking process. The minerals that are added in higher levels are not added above safe upper limits, thus if more survives the cooking process than is calculated for there is no possibility of harming the pet.

Cobalt is an integral part of B12 and provides for more efficient haemoglobin production.

Calcium and Phosphorus are essential for normal bone development. An adequate supply of either mineral must be in the proper ratio of 1.2 –2.0 parts calcium to one part phosphorus. When Phosphorus levels are greater than Calcium in the diet, bone abnormalities may appear. A deficiency of these two important minerals in the diet can result in bone weakness and skeletal deformities. Over supplementation can adversely affect bone growth and development.

Copper is required for proper utilization of iron. Excess copper can significantly reduce absorption. Anemia is a sign of either copper or iron lacking in the dog’s diet. Bone abnormalities may also occur with copper deficiency.

Iodine is required in small amounts for the prevention of goiter.

Iron is required for the formation of haemoglobin which is necessary for the transportation of oxygen in the bloodstream, and to all parts of the body.

Magnesium is closely associated with calcium and phosphorus, both in its distribution and its metabolism. Excess magnesium can upset calcium absorption.

Manganese is a trace mineral that is necessary for proper bone formation, growth and reproduction. Is also has an associated role with Vitamin K and the blood clotting response.

Excess calcium and phosphorus interferes with the absorption of manganese.

Potassium is required for body fluid, nerve transmission, and certain metabolic processes, including maintaining the heart beat.

Sodium and Chloride controls the passage of nutrients in the cells, as well as water metabolism.

Zinc is necessary for normal bone, muscle and hair growth. Deficiencies exhibit as emaciation, general debilitation, and retarded growth. Occasionally hair quality and texture will be affected.

Other trace minerals include selenium, nickel, sulphur, molybdenum, aluminium, silicon, chromium and fluorine.

This is from one website - apparently Ash content is the mineral content in the feed...How confusing
To ensure bone and tissue development and proper functioning of the body, the correct mineral level must be followed. It is crucial that you choose a complete and balanced pet food and has been formulated by a certified nutritionist and produced by a competent manufacturer.

The measurement of total mineral content of any pet food is described in general terms as its ash content. Ash is determined by burning a particular pet food at 600 degrees for two hours – the remaining non-combustible residue is known as ash. Ash contains calcium, phosphorus, sodium chloride, potassium, and other minerals, which are essential nutrients. A diet low in ash may not supply all the minerals a pet needs which could cause a mineral deficiency and subsequent health problems.

Some minerals are affected by the process of extrusion and this is dealt with in two ways. First specific forms are used that are more heat stable yet still biologically active. This can include cross-linking, beading and encapsulation to name a few. Secondly, higher than normal amounts are put into the precooked mix of certain minerals that are especially vulnerable to ensure that the proper amounts are left after the cooking process. The minerals that are added in higher levels are not added above safe upper limits, thus if more survives the cooking process than is calculated for there is no possibility of harming the pet.

Cobalt is an integral part of B12 and provides for more efficient haemoglobin production.

Calcium and Phosphorus are essential for normal bone development. An adequate supply of either mineral must be in the proper ratio of 1.2 –2.0 parts calcium to one part phosphorus. When Phosphorus levels are greater than Calcium in the diet, bone abnormalities may appear. A deficiency of these two important minerals in the diet can result in bone weakness and skeletal deformities. Over supplementation can adversely affect bone growth and development.

Copper is required for proper utilization of iron. Excess copper can significantly reduce absorption. Anemia is a sign of either copper or iron lacking in the dog’s diet. Bone abnormalities may also occur with copper deficiency.

Iodine is required in small amounts for the prevention of goiter.

Iron is required for the formation of haemoglobin which is necessary for the transportation of oxygen in the bloodstream, and to all parts of the body.

Magnesium is closely associated with calcium and phosphorus, both in its distribution and its metabolism. Excess magnesium can upset calcium absorption.

Manganese is a trace mineral that is necessary for proper bone formation, growth and reproduction. Is also has an associated role with Vitamin K and the blood clotting response.

Excess calcium and phosphorus interferes with the absorption of manganese.

Potassium is required for body fluid, nerve transmission, and certain metabolic processes, including maintaining the heart beat.

Sodium and Chloride controls the passage of nutrients in the cells, as well as water metabolism.

Zinc is necessary for normal bone, muscle and hair growth. Deficiencies exhibit as emaciation, general debilitation, and retarded growth. Occasionally hair quality and texture will be affected.

Other trace minerals include selenium, nickel, sulphur, molybdenum, aluminium, silicon, chromium and fluorine.
Well we all knew that now didnt we :unsure: :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back