The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Different Colours, Different Temperments?

~elizabeth~

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Following on from a discussion on the Showing section, do people think that the different colour types have distinct temperaments?

Elizabeth

I think it is more likely; different lines, different temperament. In my first litter I had both brindle and fawn parti colours, did not notice significant variations in temperament. My fawns are real sweeties.

Lida

My 2 are litter brothers one fawn and white partie and is as soft as grease very loving and trusting wagging his tail at everything. All that goes around his head is fluffy white clouds. My fawn is complex, a thinker and can appear to be aloof, very single minded but it's all show as he is very insecure. He never strays far from us. He barks at other dogs then runs away while is brother plays with everyone. :)

Love them both to bits :wub:

DCP00873__Small_.JPG

awwww their gorgeous Shane :wub: :wub: love that pic

I know someone who used to breed Labradors, she always said that the blacks were very hyper whilst the yellows were calm and the chocs inbetween.

Beerhound said:
I know someone who used to breed Labradors, she always said that the blacks were very hyper whilst the yellows were calm and the chocs inbetween.
yes, I can verify that, having to walk someone else's demented black one everyday :(

Elizabeth

Surely the temperament has everything to do with the breeding?

I havent got another to compare yet, but hopefully will get one less highly strung than Rebel.

I also think it has a lot to do with breeding. I got my two whippet bitches from the same breeder, who kept litter mates to both of mine, and could confirm that the two litters were indeed very different, temperament-wise. The first litter were calm, quiet, a bit aloof, whereas the other were more outgoing, easily distracted, happy-go-lucky kind of dogs. The first litter were all white with brindle patches, the second were all fawn and whites, but I really think it has most to do with breeding.

In labs, I think many breeders work with lines in which one colour is predominant, which might explain why differences in temperament are more likely to be associated with colour in that breed?

Firstly beautiful dogs Shane :wub: :wub: :thumbsup: Really nice.

Oscar is a blue/brindle fawn white (particolour) well says that on his Pedigree .

Well hes very soft natured - can be a wimp sometimes. Very affectionate, very very silly - a NUTTER at times :oops: and has a wonderful character, is very playful but wary of bigger stronger dogs but generally likes most dogs he meets. Is VERY faithful - but mainly to me for some funny reason. :) :D

Tries to overpower the cats at times but we are getting there slowly. :- " :thumbsup:

Janimal said:
Tries to overpower the cats at times but we are getting there slowly. :- "  :thumbsup:
Shall I send my cat up to you? She can reduce ours to jelly with a single hiss (w00t)

Elizabeth

Lovely dogs Shane :wub: :wub: great picture that expression is so cute :thumbsup:

Julie

Although the temperament runs in the family, so to speak, there are always differences between pups from the same litter. Some pups are bossy, other more submissive, but I do not believe it is linked to the colour.

In a litter couple of years ago this little black bitch was the leader from the beginning. The fawn Sebastian was always calm and gentle, although substantially bigger. Here she is trying to stuff him down the hole. (w00t)

Lida

Last edited by a moderator:
Seraphina said:
Although the temperament runs in the family, so to speak, there are always differences between pups from the same litter.  Some pups are bossy, other more submissive, but I do not believe it is linked to the colour.  In a litter couple of years ago this little black bitch was the leader from the beginning.  The fawn Sebastian was always calm and gentle, although substantially bigger.  Here she is trying to stuff him down the hole.    (w00t)

Lida

Excellent photo and explanation. :lol:

Seraphina said:
Although the temperament runs in the family, so to speak, there are always differences between Here she is trying to stuff him down the hole. 
Awwh, she's just training him to be a terrier!

Have to say I haven't noticed any differences myself, you seem to get sweet and grumpy types in all colours, but interesting to here what others think!

I have two boys from the same litter, both silver/blue/fawn irish marked and they are as different as chalk and cheese.

Arnie lives up to his name in size and good looks only, he is an absolute wimp. Zippy on the other hand is considerably smaller and is a proper pest.

Seems to me as if neither colour nor breeding have much to do with temprement.

Vive la difference!

This is an interesting site, just vaguely relevant to this thread. Scientists in Russia have been studying several hundred of captive foxes in a research program lasting 5 decades. I have actually followed this reasearch for several years, there were some surprising outcomes. Such as now they have large number of piedbald foxes - not known in wild.

Check it out;

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...p-edo020305.php

Lida

Seraphina said:
This is an interesting site, just vaguely relevant to this thread.  Scientists in Russia have been studying several hundred of captive foxes in a research program lasting 5 decades.http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...p-edo020305.php

Lida

Yes, I've been following that as well! I thought the underlying purpose of the research was to breed a more docile animal for fur farming :( I do wonder if the behavioural changes linked to colour might be some sort of recessive genetic characteristic.

Actually I notice distinct colour differences with my Runner Ducks, Blacks (+dilutions chocs, blues) can be very manic; I suspect it is more to do with line breeding, the high egg-yielding types always seem more highly strung; varieties that have had more recent out-breeding with other breeds are usually calmer. Some people go in for very intensive and close line breeding in poultry which probably doesn't help.

Elizabeth

Last edited by a moderator:
May not be related to colour but that old one of nature versus nurture :wacko:

My two boys were brought up the same as far as I can tell, don't think I favoured one more than the other, in fact made sure they were treated the same as far as possible, but they are like chalk and cheese. :))

IMG_0167__Small_.JPG

moriarte said:
Seraphina said:
This is an interesting site, just vaguely relevant to this thread.  Scientists in Russia have been studying several hundred of captive foxes in a research program lasting 5 decades.http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...p-edo020305.php

Lida

Yes, I've been following that as well! I thought the underlying purpose of the research was to breed a more docile animal for fur farming :( I do wonder if the behavioural changes linked to colour might be some sort of recessive genetic characteristic.

Actually I notice distinct colour differences with my Runner Ducks, Blacks (+dilutions chocs, blues) can be very manic; I suspect it is more to do with line breeding, the high egg-yielding types always seem more highly strung; varieties that have had more recent out-breeding with other breeds are usually calmer. Some people go in for very intensive and close line breeding in poultry which probably doesn't help.

Elizabeth

Yes, the program started to breed foxes which would be more tame, breed easier in captivity etc, but the outcome is of a great interest on many different levels (I am franticaly searching all my old magazines where i read about it). I believe the pied pups just would not survive in the wild, they would have a very hard time hunting.

I am not surprised that a closely bred line will have lot similar traits, be it conformation, colour or temperament.

Lida

Seraphina said:
I believe the pied pups just would not survive in the wild, they would have a very hard time hunting. 
We have an intersting parallel here. We live on what is essentially an island in the thames and have a population of bunnies that were probably introduced by the Normans. The originals were probably black and to this day at least a quarter of the population remains black. I did a bit of research and came up with the following:

"Exactly the opposite is observed to occur in many of the melanistic populations of vertebrates. Many of these species lose their natural camouflage due to melanism and it could not be considered an advantageous trait. A black jackrabbit or black ground squirrel would be easier to see by birds of prey and more likely to be preyed upon than those with the normal camouflage coloration. It is my observation that the melanistic traits in the higher vertebrates is not due to natural selection as may be proposed or inferred, but rather due to inbreeding. "

whole article...

http://home.fuse.net/rschaffner/melanism.html

I wonder if losing the fear of predation (which might explain the foxes behaviour) is a similar genetic trait. Survival of the weakest?

Elizabeth

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back