The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Digging

Violet Turner

Registered
Dog Walking Manchester
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Olive gave birth 2 weeks ago and she was digging and panting, but we know she was in pain. she is still digging 2 weeks after is this normal? any replies helpful as we are worried she will wreak the decking, sofa, carpets, and she digs in the whelping box and the pups nearly get crushed so when she starts its all hands on deck when she does because whe have to remove the pups... Any advice welcome!
Thanks Violet Turner

Harri "digs" in the cushions but he's just trying to make a sleeping nest out of them. Is it possible she's doing the same? If not then I also think a word with the vet would be good. You'll need a visit soon for the pups to be checked and microchipped.

Harri "digs" in the cushions but he's just trying to make a sleeping nest out of them. Is it possible she's doing the same? If not then I also think a word with the vet would be good. You'll need a visit soon for the pups to be checked and microchipped.
I have been on google and she could be in pain is this right as I am worried if their is something wrong?

Yes it is possible she is in pain. Of course it is also possible she is hot, and trying to get comfortable. Really only a vet check could say for sure but if she has been doing this for four weeks it's a long time for her to be in pain if that is the cause. :(

Do her ears feel hot? That's a sign of having a temperature, which could mean an underlying infection.

Do her ears feel hot? That's a sign of having a temperature, which could mean an underlying infection.
yes walm but not really hot her body temp is 37.7 not rectal as she hates it

Eclampsia would be my concern but I haven't seen her and I am not a vet. But she seems to fit the profile from your description.

Edited to remove link. I'm not sure I want to be responsible for providing a resource that people might use for diagnosis rather than seeing a qualified vet.

Last edited:
Vet. Now. She could have any number of post-birth complications and not just her but all her pups could be at risk. You need someone who can examine her, and not just collect random possibilities from the internet.

Vet. Now. She could have any number of post-birth complications and not just her but all her pups could be at risk. You need someone who can examine her, and not just collect random possibilities from the internet.
my friend is popping round now...

Last edited:
That's good to hear. I thought you said in another thread that you had been a vet? Or did you mean you worked at a vet's, rather than being a qualified vet yourself? I'm just curious as any vet would know the warning signs of eclampsia and other conditions.

That's good to hear. I thought you said in another thread that you had been a vet? Or did you mean you worked at a vet's, rather than being a qualified vet yourself? I'm just curious as any vet would know the warning signs of eclampsia and other conditions.
ive never picked up on as being eclampsia but at the vets after she gave birth she was tested and it came back negative

Last edited:
It can develop in the weeks after birth so the fact she didn't have it then doesn't mean she can't have developed it since then.

It looks as if you still have a heat lamp on the puppies is this correct Violet?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back