The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Do you think social isolation will increase separation anxiety?

Discussion in 'Dog Behaviour and Training' started by Josie, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

Dennis is very lucky and has always been able to come to the office with us when we work but it got me thinking.... I bet lots of humans are now spending more time with their dogs that they did before.

It makes me wonder if when (eventually) things go back to normal whether lots of these dogs will get separation issues.

2. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

Yes, I imagine it's a problem for some - having gone out once a day to walk the dog, they might not be able to go out again to leave the dog, unless they can combine it with other tasks deemed to be essential.

Jasper hasn't been left alone since the start of the lockdown. Hopefully he'll be OK when we're all allowed out again, but we'll probably build up slowly just in case.

Josie likes this.
  3. Colin

Colin New Member Registered

Hi Josie, that’s my dilemma with new Oscar, he is becoming very attached to me with me being around all day. I put him in his crate for 15 minutes today while I potted on around the house and sat in the garden for 5 mins.

I plan to increase this time a little every day so he at least gets to spend a little time by himself.

4. Rinkydinkydo

Rinkydinkydo Well-Known Member Registered

Could imagine it's going to be a problem for some. I'm lucky my old girl is bomb proof on that score,always as been.