The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog barks when we use front door.

Sam.P

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a 18 month shichi she has always barked at the postman but now barks at the mail in the entrance way after he's left aswell, she has recently started barking when we take the rubbish from the kitchen bins through the hall out through the entrance as she can see through same window and barks until the job is done. This seems too be getting worse . She also barks when one of us leaves eg me for work or dad to the car but this didn't use to happen. I am unsure what to try.

Do you think it is because she is seeing you (and the postman) out of the window? If so, you could try blocking her access to that, if necessary you can buy film that obscures the outside - it clings, rather than sticks, so it is easy to take off and it can be re-used.

You could also teach her that one bark to alert you is fine (so she still gets to do her 'job') but then quiet. I like the yoghurt pot method to teach a dog to quiet.

Get a yoghurt pot, and smear the inside with wet dog food, squeezy cheese, yoghurt or anything else your dog likes. When she starts to bark, you can offer the pot to lick - she can't bark and lick at the same time.

As she is doing that, repeat the word that will become your ”quiet” cue.

After some repetitions and you think she has got it, give the cue and if she stops barking, give the pot as a reward (if she doesn't stop barking, stay at step 1 for longer).

When she is stopping on cue, gradually increase the delay between the cue and reward.

Once it is reliable, you can start fading the reward to something more convenient.

Could she be generally understimulated? What does she get in the way of walks, training, play, and so on?

Do you think it is because she is seeing you (and the postman) out of the window? If so, you could try blocking her access to that, if necessary you can buy film that obscures the outside - it clings, rather than sticks, so it is easy to take off and it can be re-used.

You could also teach her that one bark to alert you is fine (so she still gets to do her 'job') but then quiet. I like the yoghurt pot method to teach a dog to quiet.

Get a yoghurt pot, and smear the inside with wet dog food, squeezy cheese, yoghurt or anything else your dog likes. When she starts to bark, you can offer the pot to lick - she can't bark and lick at the same time.

As she is doing that, repeat the word that will become your ”quiet” cue.

After some repetitions and you think she has got it, give the cue and if she stops barking, give the pot as a reward (if she doesn't stop barking, stay at step 1 for longer).

When she is stopping on cue, gradually increase the delay between the cue and reward.

Once it is reliable, you can start fading the reward to something more convenient.
How do I do the yogurt pot technique without her thinking I am giving her a treat when she starts barking? Do I wait for her to stop again ? Also could I use a small lick matt for this or will this not work as well ?

Just do it as described. You aren't rewarding her for barking, she can't bark and lick simultaneously so the 'reward' is for her not barking.

A lick mat would be harder, in a yoghurt pot she can't open her mouth.

Just do it as described. You aren't rewarding her for barking, she can't bark and lick simultaneously so the 'reward' is for her not barking.

A lick mat would be harder, in a yoghurt pot she can't open her mouth.
OK thanks that's great

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back