The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog bathing

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Having a dog that is determined to go through life keeping both clean and dry I don't have a problem. When she comes across a muddy patch or puddle she either jumps over it or tip toes round it.

Oh you are so lucky, a couple of ours find a muddy puddle and walk straight into the deepest part, and then practice making foot prints over the remaining sticky mud.
They love it, :mad:

I am trying hard to protect our new puppy from my dearest wife who is very determined to give him a bath.

I had been fighting this battle with her over our first Ridgeback for 8 years (eventually winning, believe it or not, miracles do happen).

But hypothetically, if we were to give him a bath, it would be bringing him inside the shower stall. Not sure if they exist in UK, not the kind where you climb into the bath and lay or sit in it, but a standing shower. We have one like that. So, bring him inside and wash with the handheld shower head. Hopefully it will neve come to this.

Last edited:
Our lot are brought into the house, to use the bath with the hand held shower head. (after all, they do live indoors with us as family members). If they are really covered with a load of mud they wait in the back of the car (a very doggy car), they have their own towels!
I am unable to see what is wrong with a shower stall, will your shower head not reach the lower level of the dog? we don't expect our dogs to lie down in a bath full of water. As already mentioned, no shampoos are used.
Please explain if I have "lost the plot"o_O !

Having a dog that is determined to go through life keeping both clean and dry I don't have a problem. When she comes across a muddy patch or puddle she either jumps over it or tip toes round it.

Benny our old Beagle was like this, even when he was blind he could smell a puddle and very skillfully skirt round it before his feet got wet. I think he was only bathed about 3 times in 15 years.

But hypothetically, if we were to give him a bath, it would be bringing him inside the shower stall. Not sure if they exist in UK, not the kind where you climb into the bath and lay or sit in it, but a standing shower. We have one like that. So, bring him inside and wash with the handheld shower head. Hopefully it will neve come to this.
I have considered this but Tiree would flip out in a confined space and there's nothing to stop him escaping if the door is open. Plus the shower is upstairs so it means getting a muddy mutt all the way up the stairs before dealing with it.

Tried out the hot water in a watering can this morning and it works a treat. I'm so chuffed. Now all I have to do is remember to fill it up before we go out. :)

Tried out the hot water in a watering can this morning and it works a treat. I'm so chuffed. Now all I have to do is remember to fill it up before we go out. :)

So glad it worked for you.. After a while it gets to be routine.

When she comes across a muddy patch or puddle she either jumps over it or tip toes round it.

Oh, I wish! If our dog sees a puddle, he jumps IN it. Then, after a good paddle, will look at me with what I am convinced is a smirk and do the best ‘down, stay’ you can imagine. I have come to except life with our dog comes with a whole lot of mud thrown in!

Unfortunately, I think he had out grown the kitchen sink before we even got him home! I usually finish our walks with a visit to the stream so he can wash off some of the mud. However, if he has decided to pay a visit to the ‘pit of eternal stench’ (a huge puddle that really could be classed as a pond) he gets hosed down in the garden.

We have a large shower stall with t
I am trying hard to protect our new puppy from my dearest wife who is very determined to give him a bath.

I had been fighting this battle with her over our first Ridgeback for 8 years (eventually winning, believe it or not, miracles do happen).

We have a large shower stall with two shower heads. Did shower Dudley a couple of times last year but I have to go in with him or I get soaked. We had the kitchen sink replaced with a bigger one so he fits in that really well

Dennis usually gets a Bath in our bath but now he’s 11 it’s too high for him to jump in.

Luckily a friend of ours has a hot outside tap she said we can use anytime :)

Den has to be washed in warm water otherwise he gets a flaccid tail. He’s such a princess!

Dennis usually gets a Bath in our bath but now he’s 11 it’s too high for him to jump in.

Luckily a friend of ours has a hot outside tap she said we can use anytime :)

Den has to be washed in warm water otherwise he gets a flaccid tail. He’s such a princess!
Would be so nice to have a hot outside tap. I had to make a really good case for the bigger sink just to wash Dudley. Dont know if he will go for the tapl.

I’d love one to @Nanny71! Our friends dog is a HUGE labradoodle so that’s why she has had a tap fitted outside - he doesn’t fit in the shower :D

After a walk my 3 get their paws and legs washed even though the 2 youngest boys don't like mud Marley loves it hes a bit off a goof ball for a whippet lol I just fill the basin with warm water and sponge them clean.

If Jasper has a cut on his foot he's very nervous when I bathe it, despite of all the motivational sausage he gets - he seems to think I'm going to dip his foot in sulphuric acid. That's why I find it easier to clean the carpet than clean him!

He is quite a teflon dog though - most of the dirt has fallen off by the time we get home.

Clever girl!!. Morgan goes to the bathroom door for a wash/shower which ever is needed when he comes in. Rex we have to almost wrangle to get him in the shower. We have to give him a chewey chicken twist as a bribe while in the shower. We think he was not used to a bath before we got him.

Clever girl!!. Morgan goes to the bathroom door for a wash/shower which ever is needed when he comes in. Rex we have to almost wrangle to get him in the shower. We have to give him a chewey chicken twist as a bribe while in the shower. We think he was not used to a bath before we got him.

You can get a really cool looking thing to help with bath time, it's a rubbery pad that sticks to the wall/side of the bath and you can smear peanut butter or cream cheese etc on it to keep them busy :)

I've thought of a little tip, if you wash your dog in the bath tub use one of those plastic drain hair catcher things, showering and bathing really loosens the hair, the hair catcher is absolutely full after I bath Rox!

You can get a really cool looking thing to help with bath time, it's a rubbery pad that sticks to the wall/side of the bath and you can smear peanut butter or cream cheese etc on it to keep them busy :)

I've thought of a little tip, if you wash your dog in the bath tub use one of those plastic drain hair catcher things, showering and bathing really loosens the hair, the hair catcher is absolutely full after I bath Rox!
I've got one of those in my bath. Lost too many earrings so now a permanent fixture its great at catching dog hairs

I've got one of those in my bath. Lost too many earrings so now a permanent fixture its great at catching dog hairs

They are fab! Got one in the upstairs bath for my hair because I moult like crazy lol so one day I had a brainwave and decided to use it in the downstairs for her, so good!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back