The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog dies Quickly from Sickness

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
so sorry for your loss, this sounds like parvo virus to me. last year hours after walking my fully inoculated rottie pup on the beach he had severe sickness and bloody diarrioa we took him to the vet who diagnosed parvo , he was on a drip for 5 days before recovering.he said had he not been inoculated and such a chunky pup he would have certainly died.this is a auful illness.

So sorry to hear of your loss. :(

Parvo does not kill a strong healthy dog in matter of hours. They do not die of blood loss but from damage to vital organs. Could he have picked up bait on your walk? How are you other dogs?

Seraphina said:
Parvo does not kill a strong healthy dog in matter of hours. They do not die of blood loss but from damage to vital organs.  Could he have picked up bait on your walk?  How are you other dogs?

Sorry I have to disagree with you,Parvo DOES kill healthy dogs in hours,I'm talking from experience,we had a dog 14months old,who suddenly starting vomitting,we took him to the vets,who diagnosed possible Parvo,this dog had been inoculated against Parvo,but we were told possibly a faulty vaccine.We took the dog home,3 hours later this dog died,and there was bloody pooh,on his blankets,and the smell will be something I will never forget.So yes Parvo takes all ages.We had a P/M and the results were Parvo Virus.

faircorn said:
Seraphina said:
Parvo does not kill a strong healthy dog in matter of hours. They do not die of blood loss but from damage to vital organs.  Could he have picked up bait on your walk?   How are you other dogs?

Sorry I have to disagree with you,Parvo DOES kill healthy dogs in hours,I'm talking from experience,we had a dog 14months old,who suddenly starting vomitting,we took him to the vets,who diagnosed possible Parvo,this dog had been inoculated against Parvo,but we were told possibly a faulty vaccine.We took the dog home,3 hours later this dog died,and there was bloody pooh,on his blankets,and the smell will be something I will never forget.So yes Parvo takes all ages.We had a P/M and the results were Parvo Virus.

Yes the smell is something you can never forget. Our car had a professional valet and we could still smell it 6 months later.

faircorn said:
Seraphina said:
Parvo does not kill a strong healthy dog in matter of hours. They do not die of blood loss but from damage to vital organs.  Could he have picked up bait on your walk?   How are you other dogs?

Out of curiosity did they mention which strain of CPV it was? The reason I ask is because CPV-2c has been reported in Europe with associated failure from vaccination. Can I also ask when this occured?

Bilbie, firstly I'm so sorry for your loss, you must be absolutely devastated. :(

Clostridium perfringens is associated with toxic food poisoning. Incubation time in humans is 8-16 hours. Highly toxic food posioning is usually identifable by the fact the victim needs to excrete as mush of the toxin from the body as fast as possible, hence extreme vomiting and diorrhea occur.

The use of antidiarrheal and anti-emetic treatments can be a mine field as a decision needs to be made on whether it's better to let the toxin be excreted rapidly or whether the associated fluid loss would put the victim in a more hazardous situation.

Personally I don't think the Cerenia has been the problem here and it's more likely the bacterium is responsible as it is associated with fatal types of food poisoning (Google clostridial necrotizing enteritis which is associated with this bacterium)

It is rare, although this is of no consequence to you when your dog has fallen victim. You have done the right thing reporting this to the pharmaceutical companies though as it needs to be logged.

I'm a little confused about the enterotoximia as I think maybe they meant endotoximia that being toxic shock? Septicemia.

So sorry, I don't think anything either you or your vet could of done anything to prevent it. I hope this is of some consolation to you.

faircorn said:
Seraphina said:
Parvo does not kill a strong healthy dog in matter of hours. They do not die of blood loss but from damage to vital organs.  Could he have picked up bait on your walk?  How are you other dogs?

I did not say that parvo does not kill all ages, it is just lot more deadly to the very young or the already weakend - as with most illnesses.

I have lost puppy to parvo some 30 years ago, and have seen my friends loosing whole litters, as well as adult dogs. The animals were first bit listless, stopped eating, have fever, started vomiting and have diarrhea, which became bloody (yes i remeber the smell). The dogs do die of toxic shock. If I remeber correctly the fastest death took 3 days but some lingered 5+ days, despite being on drip.

Unless, parvo has evolved to something lot more rapid, i have not heard of such incredibly fast onset to death time span. Also would not the vet be able immediately recognize the parvo smell?

However, if it is parvo, I would be immediately giving boosters to all other dogs. And if it is not parvo, i would be very thoroughly investigating, for the sake of my other dogs.

I lost a german shepherd many years ago under very similar circumstances. One minute he was absolutely fine, running around the garden with a big branch in his mouth, the next minute he was being sick and had bloody diarrhea. We took him straight to the vets who treated him for haemorragic enteritis. Sadly he was dead within 6 hours :( I seem to remember being told that it was picked up from some bug/bacteria in the soil/ground.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( It is always so much worse when it is totally unexpected. My thoughts are with you xx

How awful! I'm so sorry for your sudden loss :(

Emma xxx

That is a dog lovers worst nightmare :(

I'm so terribly sorry to hear of your awful ordeal and loss but thank-you for being able to share and alert others. :huggles:

I am so, so sorry to hear about your loss :(

You must be totally devastated - sudden death is very hard to come to terms with.

Thinking of you :huggles:

Run free, little chap :wub:

wild whippies said:
faircorn said:
Seraphina said:

Out of curiosity did they mention which strain of CPV it was? The reason I ask is because CPV-2c has been reported in Europe with associated failure from vaccination. Can I also ask when this occured?

This happened back in the 80s.Sorry but I can't remember what strain it was.When the P/M was done,we was told the intestines looked like bloody frog spawn.

We were instructed to burn all the dogs bedding and had to sterilise all the kennels,runs and the vehicle anything the dog may have come in contact with.We had his litter brother at the time,so we were very anxious as to what would happen to him,but thankfully he was OK.

At the time,we was told by our vet,that there had been a out break of Parvo at a laboratory in the Midlands.And this had resulted in the whole kennel block,being concreted up,and would be sealed for a minimun of 6 years.

So sorry to hear of your tragic and very sudden loss :( my thoughts are with you :huggles: run free

faircorn said:
This happened back in the 80s.Sorry but I can't remember what strain it was.When the P/M was done,we was told the intestines looked like bloody frog spawn.We were instructed to burn all the dogs bedding and had to sterilise all the kennels,runs and the vehicle anything the dog may have come in contact with.We had his litter brother at the time,so we were very anxious as to what would happen to him,but thankfully he was OK.

At the time,we was told by our vet,that there had been a out break of Parvo at a laboratory in the Midlands.And this had resulted in the whole kennel block,being concreted up,and would be sealed for a minimun of 6 years.

Thanks for that, there was mass outbreaks, especially in the early 80's and initial vaccination used feline distemper, hence why many back then thought that cats spread the virus. Thankfully, the new vaccinations are more potent even with maternal anti-bodies being present but it's obviously a worry when you come across cases where certain strains are over-riding the vaccinations (like the cases in Europe that have occured recently)

Both Parvo and clostridium can result in haemorrhagic enteritis and where necrosis (tissue death) occurs of the inestines, the toxins can perforate through into the body resulting in sepsis. Whilst they are different causes, the symptoms can be the same and unfortunately a fatal outcome can result in either if the body is completely overwhelmed. Essentially, a dogs survival is in the lap of the Gods.

That is so tragic. What a terrible shock for you. My heart goes out to you. :huggles:

Rest in Peace little one.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back