The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog Meat

doris

Puppies for pleasure, not for Trade!
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I normally feed my 2 whippets and 2 italian greyhounds on complete food for breakfast (burns, arden grange or james wellbeloved) and cooked minced chicken and mixer biscuit for dinner

I buy the chicken in frozen blocks from our local pet food warehouse. Each day I defrost a block and cook it.

Sometimes it doesn't smell great, hence the reason for the daily complete food, as a stand-by or if we run out of chicken (not often!)

So I was wondering - where do you buy your dog food from? and who is the best supplier of frozen dog food?

may05_159.jpg

I'm pretty lucky, my local pet store gets minced chicken in straight from the abbatoir. It's always good quality. Before that I used Natures Way, never had a problem with that, it's just a lot cheaper (25p ib) from the pet store. (It's an animal feeds stockist, loads of horse supplies, they are a lot cheaper than the big flash stores.)

We worry like mad that we give our dogs good, fresh food, then you find them eating some ancient dead creature when they are out!!!!!!!! :oops: YUCK!!

that's a fair point - with 4 dogs there is always a race to eat the smelly dead things under the hedge :x but I still worry anyway, cos its proper packaged dog food but I'm not always convinced its ok :unsure:

anyone from hemel hempstead/watford/dunstable area got a good supplier? (herts, beds and bucks area)

Most butchers do bags of pet mince. I pay about £1 for 3kg, which i think is really reasonable.

Local butchers are a dying breed and should be saved because they are so cheap!!

He also charges 15p for a bag of massive bones!!

We went to the market to get some beef bones for our dogs and were told they can't sell them anymore because of eu regulations

I buy Frozen Tripe, chicken from Pets at Home. chicken Wings in trays for about £1.20 from Asda and bags of mince from the freezer from Asda too.

My friend who owns greyhounds tells me she thinks her greyhound food dealer sells frozen food so might try there sometime.

oakmoorehill said:
We went to the market to get some beef bones for our dogs and were told they can't sell them anymore because of eu regulations
This I due to the mad cow scare but our butcher sells them as not as bones but to be used for boiling.He says its the only way he can sell them. :wacko:

I get my frozen meat , tripe, chicken wings etc. from Anglian Meat Products, they deliver fortnightly any where I think, but you do need a big freezer as there is a minimum order, of about 3 cases of 40x454 gm packs I think, but sometimes it is handy to share with someone who lives near you.

We buy our meat from H Greaves & sons butchers & meat supplies 30lb beef/tripe £4.50 chicken 30lb £6.80 beef 30lb £7.50 as many beef bones as you like free good meat good price they are based in up Holland lancs :thumbsup:

Pennymeadow Whippets said:
We buy our meat from H Greaves & sons butchers & meat supplies 30lb beef/tripe £4.50 chicken 30lb £6.80 beef 30lb £7.50 as many beef bones as you like free good meat good price they are based in up Holland lancs :thumbsup:

And the puppies don't even taste it it's gone that quick (w00t) (w00t) I saw them on saturday and I must add they are too gorgeous and I wanted to take them all home with me and would have if I could have got away with them all up my jumper :huggles:

Found this off a greyhound site, handy if you live in the Preston Area :thumbsup:

Chicken / Beef (raw & cooked) Salmon (raw) - 30p per lb. Based in Preston, Lancashire but will deliver on all orders of 100lb and over. Why not get your mates to order as I will delivery small amounts to areas if there is enough interest. References available Call John on 07931 442016.

Thanks for your suggestions - getting a bit peeved now cos I've just defrosted another dodgy pack of chicken, very annoying cos it is from a pet food warehouse, made by a recognised firm!

perhaps I should move? it sounds easier to get decent dog food outside of home counties :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back