The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog Sleeping In Car Overnight

bezza

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a grandchild who is allergic to dogs. My dog hates kennels and does not like being left at home . When I visit my grandson would it be acceptable/humane to let my dog sleep in the car during the summer months? Obviously it would be too cold at this time of the year. She is a rough haired lurcher. I would of course provide adeqaute ventilation and fresh water at all times. Any advice appreciated.

The problem with summer is that it could easily be too hot - so that would be even worse than now.

Have you got someone who your dog really likes that could stay with her or that she could stay with? Or what about washing the dog well before going to visit and would the family have a room they could keep the dog in for your visit, and they could clean afterwards.

Unfortunately I personally don't think leaving her in the car overnights is the best option. There's too much that can go wrong including having her stolen.

I hope you find a solution that works.

Wendy

Personally, I'd have to say No, it's not acceptable.

Would you lock a child in there overnight?

Evie said:
Personally, I'd have to say No, it's not acceptable.  Would you lock a child in there overnight?

While I get your point (and agree that it's not the solution), I think the parallell isn't a good one. Would you lock a child in a crate overnight? No, but many people have no problem crating a dog...

Wendy

make sure your grand child is actualy affeted by your dog. i have a saver dog arelegy that can send me in hospital with breathing difficultys very rapedly and allso bring me out in rashes. but I am not affected at all by greyhounds or whippets and most lurches and the odd leurcher that does affetc me is so mild an antyhistamen sorts it out just one a day.

Allso bath your dog a couple of times before you go in an alergy reducing shampo dont forget the bedding You may be supprised and your grend chiled can spen lots of quality time wih your dog that would be the best solution. I personly would not l;eave a dog iona car couldyou not rig up a houes kennal in a bedroom the child does not go in is they are reacting to your dog

Personally I wouldn't leave a dog in a car overnight, but I admit to being a total worrier where my dogs are concerned. I won't even leave mine in the car to pop into the shops etc I've heard too many horror stories about theft, vandalism, cars being bumped etc.

I'd rather put mine in kennels overnight, they might not like it but at least I'd know they were safe.

No, i don't think it would be a good idea to let him sleep in the car. Remember how hot it was this summer, even at night? :sweating: Leaving a window open just doesn't keep the car cool enough, it's proven every year when dogs unfortunately die :( Also, the risk of being stolen.

Just a question - what was going to happen to your dog during the day??

I'd look for a house/pet sitter or is there a member of family/ friend who could have him for you? Or, as Wendy suggested, if the house is big enough just keep him well away from the child. :)

There is a product called Petal Cleanse which is supposed to be very good. You spray it onto the animal & it reduces the dander on the fur which is what people are actually allergic to. I think you have to use it for a few weeks before it has full effect but I've heard of good results from it.

It's a natural product so don't worry about spraying chemicals onto your dog.

I'd be worried about someone stealing my dog if I left them in the car so I hope you find a way round the problem :luck:

With dog theft so rife.......................NO WAY :eek:

Please think again, fingers crossed you find a safer more preferable solution :thumbsup: :luck:

No I do not think it would be a good idea to leave your dog in the car overnight.

However have you thought of a dog sitter? If you ask your local vets they normally have a list of sitters or one of the nurses might like to earn some extra cash on a day/night off.

Hope that helps :luck:

Michelle

''There is a product called Petal Cleanse which is supposed to be very good.''

Exactly what I was going to suggest J.T. I have heard good comments about it and success stories when family members have developed allergies.

Thread with links that Helen's made > http://www.k9community.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=18642

Michelle's idea is very good too, vet's usually have noticeboards with lots of dog sitters offering their services and these people tend to have references or be registered with a reputable body.

Additionally, the law regarding care of animals is changing in the New Year giving the RSPCA greater powers, these new rules may effect you if you leave your dog unattended in a car in hot weather and you may end up being prosecuted.

Hiya,

I'd try your local vets for people that advertise doggie sitters too. You are planning well in advance if you are thinking about the summer so you've got time to give the dog sitter a few test goes check you are both happy with things before you go for any length of time.

I'd also check that your grandchild really is allergic to your dog before you are forced to do something that you are obviously not comfortable with.

I agree the car is not on, but what about a small garden shed with a comfortable bed inside (if the other suggestions don't work/don't appeal)?

If I left mine in the car it would be undriveable the next day (w00t) minus seats and seatbelts :blink: seriously though I wouldn't leave them in the car either, even if they didnt like the kennels it has to be better than the car :)

Hope you find a solution :luck:

i say ..."MAKE ALL LITHUANIANS SLEEP IN CARS, THEYLL SOON GET USED TO IT !!" :x :x

Thanks to all who gave well intentioned advice. The dog is a laid back sleepaholic but is nervous of other dogs and strangers following a bad start in life. I will certainly try the medication advised but I think the solution is likely to be a kennel outside the bedroom I will be sleeping in. If I leave the bedroom window open and he can hear me reassuring him that all is right with the world he will be perfectly content. My original intention was to park the car outside the bedroom but a kennel would be useful at other times as well. Must stop now as I am entertaining my good friend Cruella De Vil.

My grandson informs me I have spelt 'adequate' incorrectly and neglected to print the letter 's' in front of 'he' on two occasions. Happy now yoong man?

I leave my dogs to sleep in the car when I stay in my daughter's place. But the car is parked in the back of the driveway, under my bedroom window and the whole garden has 6ft fence. The car does not get hot at night. Car gets only hot when sun shines on it, so i park it under a tree and get up before sunrise to let them out. The reason my dogs usually sleep there because that is what they choose. They love being the car, during the day I just leave the tail gate open and they play in the garden or sit in the car. We also leave doors to the house open, but they seem to like to be in the car. In the evening they usually sit with us and before i go to bed i take them out for wee and they head for the car. There were occassions when i wanted them to come to sleep with me but they just stood next to the car. :b I think that it has something to do with the time i once left them there for 3 days, now they just want to make sure the car does not leave without them.

But I would never leave them in a car parked on the street.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evie said:
Personally, I'd have to say No, it's not acceptable.  Would you lock a child in there overnight?

Fully agree with Evie...

leaving a member of family in the car overnight - wouldn't it be cruel?...

cars can get too cold as well as too hot

I mentioned a shed and you would have to think of insulation and ventilation as well, so wood or brick not metal. Wooden sheds cost little more than kennels. You'd need to be sure it's anchored securely so won't topple from wind or from the dog moving about. The dog is less likely to frret and to shred his comfy bedding if you give him things to chew, for instance a kong filled with food which takes the dog much time to extract.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back