The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog sleeps outside

hollysh

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I am a dog walker and I have a dog that sleeps outside in a crate. I had reservations when I started walking him. But the owner has only recently had the cage built. He used to have use of the whole front garden.
I picked the dog up from kennels today, was told to walk him and lock him in his cage. I had to pull him in via his lead. He didn't want to go in. I felt awful. It's freezing tonight as well.
I don't want to fall out with the owner because I want to carry on walking the dog. I feel it's the only time that he properly has company and I have grown to care about him a lot.
I have a family dog, cavachon myself I can't comprehend putting a dog outside in the cold. He is very much part of the family. I am a very sensitive person and I adore dogs. I'm not sure if I should try and continue to bite my tongue or say something?

Thanks for your message @hollysh it sounds like a tricky situation.
I personally wouldn’t keep a dog outside but I understand that some breeds are happy to be out there.
How approachable is the owner? They obviously care enough to pay for you to do the dog walking so surely if you told them the reactions of the dog after walking they would reconsider? What’s they’re reasonings for keeping the dog outside?

I feel your pain, I would feel exactly the same way to. It’s a delicate situation

What breed is the dog?

I would mention to the owner that he didn't seem happy to go back in his crate and ask (trying not to sound as if you're criticising!) why he couldn't have the whole garden. You could also mention that the dog seemed to feel the cold and that breeding has meant that dogs are less resilient (this may or may not be true - wolves and foxes live outdoors, but then again they may have other wolves or foxes to snuggle up to). Maybe you could also supply extra blankets (from charity shops) and explain that you thought he looked cold?

Or you could even ask if the owner will be allowing him indoors now the weather's too cold for a dog to be left outside...

So really, it's about finding ways of getting the message across that will hopefully not sound like accusations but will give the owner something to think about. It might not work, but it's worth a try.

If none of that works, an anonymous call to the RSPCA might help if you feel the dog's needs aren't being met - they will offer advice before looking at more severe measures.

Thanks for your advice. I don't want to be too specific as I don't want to upset anyone.

He's a golden retriever. I have had the offer to look after him instead of kennels before now but he always asks me a few days before. As the owner runs a business and never seems to know what he's doing until the last minute, I've always already had dogs booked (I am also a dog sitter).

He seems fit and healthy and he has a kennel, access to water and food etc. Everything to 'keep him alive', just on a personal level, he's such a lovely boy who adores company.

There's no way I could look after him full time. I don't have the space that he needs. So, guess I will just have to accept that people have different ways of doing things.

Have you mentioned your worries in a subtle way to the owner at all @hollysh?

Golden retrievers are such family dogs who want to be with their pack :-(

When he said he was causing havoc when he was left in the garden, breaking things/chewing. I said 'couldn't you put him in the house'. He said he couldn't because it was his parents house and that he has had previous dogs of this breed that have all lived outside and he's the only one that's caused him trouble.
I didn't know what to say to that without it turning into a row.

When he said he was causing havoc when he was left in the garden, breaking things/chewing. I said 'couldn't you put him in the house'. He said he couldn't because it was his parents house and that he has had previous dogs of this breed that have all lived outside and he's the only one that's caused him trouble.
I didn't know what to say to that without it turning into a row.

Such a hard situation for you to be in. The poor boy :-( I guess you just have to keep an eye on him and if he goes down hill re-evaluate the situation again?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back