The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dog teeth

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Raw bones and chicken wings are fine to give, it’s only when they have been cooked that they become brittle and dried out, making them dangerous. When they are raw they are soft so can be eaten and digested without any problems

Raw chicken wings have very soft bones that a dog can easily chew through. Other non weight bearing bones, like ribs as opposed to legs, are good too - they are less dense than weight bearing bones. Once eaten, the dog's stomach acids easily dissolve any remaining fragments of bone. Cooked bones however can splinter and harm the dog by internal puncturing. If a dog eats something he shouldn't, a vet will normally administer an emetic to make him vomit but that is NOT recommended for cooked bones because they can do as much damage coming back up as going down.

Raw chicken wings have very soft bones that a dog can easily chew through.

I would love to try Harri on these as he is so picky at the moment. I was roundly lambasted on a Facebook BARF group for even considering such a thing until he'd been eating raw for weeks!

At the moment he is so awkward it's whatever food I can get inside him, cooked, raw, kibble whatever....

He has jaws like a piranha and a cast iron digestive system which seems to process anything and everything he eats quite happily. He's had a raw knucklebone ( I didn't dare admit to that) and he's currently indifferently grazing on a marrowbone. Again no ill effects.

There is so much pseudo science on dog feeding - should I just go ahead?

For several reasons, Timber is not raw fed but he does get a chicken wing regularly.

For several reasons, Timber is not raw fed but he does get a chicken wing regularly.

That's good enough for me. My gut feeling was that it'd be fine but I was so jumped upon that my confidence was a bit shaken!

Some raw feeders can be a little evangelical ;) I often think that the more vociferous the arguments on each side of a debate, the less solid scientific evidence there is to back up either side.

Maybe as it will be you paying the bill, you should ask the question why!
I have a lot on at the minute so I will ask when I get chance, but I think it's because she has just had puppies?

COOKED bones from poultry or pork are both potentially fatal! - they become brittle after cooking, & will shatter with very-sharp edges, which easily slice gullets, intestines, & other GI-tissues.
RAW bones are safe - they can be gnawed without splintering into a bunch of razor-blades.

- terry

A timely thread. A week or so ago we started giving Jimmy a herbal/seaweed powder with hios food in an attempt to promote good dental hygiene. The vet recommended it and it has good reviews online. I've also ordered some Logic gel as we ran out of dog toothpaste, so will be trying that soon as well.

A timely thread. A week or so ago we started giving Jimmy a herbal/seaweed powder with hios food in an attempt to promote good dental hygiene. The vet recommended it and it has good reviews online. I've also ordered some Logic gel as we ran out of dog toothpaste, so will be trying that soon as well.

I`ve used all the above, and to be honest, they might help a bit but not enough to keep a dogs teeth healthy and clean . along with raw bones and chicken wings I buy turkey and duck necks from PTH, (in the frozen section) and he has one of those very day, i do not defrost them, he has them frozen, and these are brilliant for dental hygiene

I let Murphy have an antler or his ostrich bone which has a honeycomb structure and doesnt split into sharp bits but breaks up a bit like a car window..

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back